Trans Siberian Orchestra Message Boards
Paul O'Neill - Printable Version

+- Trans Siberian Orchestra Message Boards (http://tsoboards.com)
+-- Forum: Trans Sibieran Orchestra (http://tsoboards.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TSO General (http://tsoboards.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Paul O'Neill (/showthread.php?tid=159)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Paul O'Neill - NancyL - 04-06-2017

Per the TSO Facebook page Paul O'Neill has passed away from a chronic illness.

RE: Paul O'Neill - TSOfan - 04-06-2017

(04-06-2017, 12:27 PM)NancyL Wrote: Per the TSO Facebook page Paul O'Neill has passed away from a chronic illness.

http://www.trans-siberian.com/news/title/paul-oneill/

RE: Paul O'Neill - sundance7490 - 04-06-2017

(04-06-2017, 12:38 PM)TSOfan Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 12:27 PM)NancyL Wrote: Per the TSO Facebook page Paul O'Neill has passed away from a chronic illness.

http://www.trans-siberian.com/news/title/paul-oneill/

NO WAY!!! Oh my gosh, what a shocking thing. This came out of nowhere. The man was barely 61 years old! This really is heartbreaking news. God bless him and his family. This is like taking a dagger and sending it right through TSO's heart.

RE: Paul O'Neill - admin - 04-06-2017

Wow, holy shit.

I expected Jon Oliva to go but not Paul O'Neill. I am shocked. What a loss.

RE: Paul O'Neill - wickfam - 04-07-2017

Been in shock since my husband woke me up to tell me at 5:00 this morning... Never ever would I have expected this. My heart breaks for the TSO family - so many of whom are posting about Paul today - and I fear for the future without Paul at the helm...

So glad I got to see him at two shows & am kicking myself black & blue for not going thru the meet & greets those times.

Pics are from 2012 CEAOS in Cincinnati OH

[Image: 17800422_10210497846855361_4806919791062...e=595C202C]

[Image: 17795931_10210497848375399_3531577627062...e=595E32BA]

[Image: 17800398_10210497849535428_8743186372380...e=594C781C]

RE: Paul O'Neill - TSOd - 04-07-2017

hard to believe-so sad-shocked

RE: Paul O'Neill - danfromnj - 04-07-2017

A nice tribute from Alex Skolnick:

From 2000- 2009 the TSO Winter Tour was my ritual, as East Coast stage left guitarist during Nov/Dec. Although it's been a number of years since I moved on from the annual multi-month holiday trek, news of Paul O'Neil's passing is no less sad and shocking. What began as a small theatrical rock show during the holidays (with appearances at The Beacon, the Orpheum in Boston and other old time theaters) led to packed arenas (often two in a day) including Madison Sq Garden, performances on shows like GMA and Regis & Kelly and jamming with guests from Joan to Joe (Jett & Walsh), from Roger to Tyler (Daltrey & Steven). While I confess - at the risk of saying what some might not wish to hear - that my own musical preferences run counter to some of the TSO fare (I'm not alone here, but won't "out" any of my former colleagues), there were enough cool musical moments to balance things out and more importantly, audiences so intensely appreciative that for 2+ hours onstage, a performer's private tastes (along with the unavoidable exhaustion, inevitable aches and occasional ailments such a grueling tour will bring), faded away as though by the magic described within the show's narrative. TSO became "The Nutcracker" for the classic rock generation and their families; Paul somehow knew this was needed before the audiences knew themselves.

TSO had/has little In common with "cool" culture (an appreciative Tweet from The Roots' QuestLove was a rare collusion), yet it somehow didn't matter. This was something for a market as massively ignored by the music industry as it was massive. Besides, show me any prestigious artist of classical, jazz, visual art, indy rock or anyone else ever considered "cool," "critically lauded" or other terms not often associated with TSO and I'll show you someone near and dear to them - aunt, nephew, mom, cousin, grandma or other relative - who's a massive TSO fan. For artists, the gig was a career break that came with a humbling realization - one was now part of a much bigger picture, a shining star within a Milky Way- like galaxy (and similar sensory overload). After my own self-imposed touring hiatus for music studies in the early 00s, some were shocked to see my reemergence later, giving 100%+ onstage and realizing that one's stage performance needn't conflict with individual musical development and depth (and could even help those things come across more strongly). I owe my coming out of the proverbial shell while on the bandshell (along with many great experiences, friendships, music biz connections etc...) to this admittedly crazy, wildly generous, fiercely creative and inhumanly driven character, who'd often call me and others "Boss" as a term of endearment.
Rest In Peace, Boss

RE: Paul O'Neill - Kissguy1973 - 04-07-2017

(04-07-2017, 02:02 AM)wickfam Wrote: Been in shock since my husband woke me up to tell me at 5:00 this morning... Never ever would I have expected this. My heart breaks for the TSO family - so many of whom are posting about Paul today - and I fear for the future without Paul at the helm...

I wouldn't fear or worry one bit. I think he left things in good shape for the future for band members, management, and the fans. You don't build something like and not have in things in place in case "something" happens. Knowing what we know about him, he probably even had a back-up plan for the back-up plan. He wasn't just a genius in the creative and humanitarian sense, he was an excellent businessman as well.

RE: Paul O'Neill - TSOd - 04-09-2017

(04-07-2017, 11:40 AM)danfromnj Wrote: A nice tribute from Alex Skolnick:

From 2000- 2009 the TSO Winter Tour was my ritual, as East Coast stage left guitarist during Nov/Dec. Although it's been a number of years since I moved on from the annual multi-month holiday trek, news of Paul O'Neil's passing is no less sad and shocking. What began as a small theatrical rock show during the holidays (with appearances at The Beacon, the Orpheum in Boston and other old time theaters) led to packed arenas (often two in a day) including Madison Sq Garden, performances on shows like GMA and Regis & Kelly and jamming with guests from Joan to Joe (Jett & Walsh), from Roger to Tyler (Daltrey & Steven). While I confess - at the risk of saying what some might not wish to hear - that my own musical preferences run counter to some of the TSO fare (I'm not alone here, but won't "out" any of my former colleagues), there were enough cool musical moments to balance things out and more importantly, audiences so intensely appreciative that for 2+ hours onstage, a performer's private tastes (along with the unavoidable exhaustion, inevitable aches and occasional ailments such a grueling tour will bring), faded away as though by the magic described within the show's narrative. TSO became "The Nutcracker" for the classic rock generation and their families; Paul somehow knew this was needed before the audiences knew themselves.

TSO had/has little In common with "cool" culture (an appreciative Tweet from The Roots' QuestLove was a rare collusion), yet it somehow didn't matter. This was something for a market as massively ignored by the music industry as it was massive. Besides, show me any prestigious artist of classical, jazz, visual art, indy rock or anyone else ever considered "cool," "critically lauded" or other terms not often associated with TSO and I'll show you someone near and dear to them - aunt, nephew, mom, cousin, grandma or other relative - who's a massive TSO fan. For artists, the gig was a career break that came with a humbling realization - one was now part of a much bigger picture, a shining star within a Milky Way- like galaxy (and similar sensory overload). After my own self-imposed touring hiatus for music studies in the early 00s, some were shocked to see my reemergence later, giving 100%+ onstage and realizing that one's stage performance needn't conflict with individual musical development and depth (and could even help those things come across more strongly). I owe my coming out of the proverbial shell while on the bandshell (along with many great experiences, friendships, music biz connections etc...) to this admittedly crazy, wildly generous, fiercely creative and inhumanly driven character, who'd often call me and others "Boss" as a term of endearment.
Rest In Peace, Boss

I saw Alex with TSO in 2007 8 9 when I started my TSO journey with the East band. When he left the East I was devastated but then came Joel and Bill. All was well. EACH had their own style and was valuable, contributing  in their own way. I love Classical and other types of music some 360 degrees from TSO and art forms like Alex mentions but AM a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE TSO fan.

RE: Paul O'Neill - TSOd - 04-09-2017

(04-06-2017, 12:27 PM)NancyL Wrote: Per the TSO Facebook page Paul O'Neill has passed away from a chronic illn
Rest in and Rock on in peace Paul.  Sad