Trans Siberian Orchestra Message Boards
WHY for 2018 - Printable Version

+- Trans Siberian Orchestra Message Boards (http://tsoboards.com)
+-- Forum: Trans Sibieran Orchestra (http://tsoboards.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TSO General (http://tsoboards.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: WHY for 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=624)

WHY for 2018 - TSOd - 12-30-2018

The 2018 Tour ends today but WHY for 2018: the Pink Floyd music before Tracers; made no sense whatsoever. Chance: no reason for this to be in the show,totally out of place and stuck out like a sore thumb to seasoned knowledgeable fans of TSO  who came to see TSO, don't care a twit about Savatage, and the first timers for the same reason; this is not a Savatage concert or Wacken; and who was front and center on stage for this if not Caffery; you know he ate this up; if you slash his wrists he would bleed Savatage not TSO and Oliva has always been jealous of Paul and the HUGE success of TSO which Oliva could not achieve with Savatage; they would both be nowhere if it weren't for TSO; with Paul gone I think you will see more of this. The over the top singing and all that arm waving from Johnson, Lavie, Jerry(ouch), Reeves(yuk), even my beloved Georgia but at least she looks good to make up for it lol. I passed on the show in 2017 after 10 years and again in 2018 and I have no regrets. I have found new music.

RE: WHY for 2018 - KISSAlien - 12-31-2018

(12-30-2018, 04:56 PM)TSOd Wrote: The 2018 Tour ends today but WHY for 2018: the Pink Floyd music before Tracers; made no sense whatsoever. Chance: no reason for this to be in the show,totally out of place and stuck out like a sore thumb to seasoned knowledgeable fans of TSO  who came to see TSO, don't care a twit about Savatage, and the first timers  for the same reason; this is not a Savatage concert or Wacken; and who was front and center on stage for this if not Caffery; you know he ate this up; if you slash his wrists he would bleed Savatage not TSO and Oliva has always been jealous of Paul and the HUGE success of TSO which Oliva could not achieve with Savatage; they would both be nowhere if it weren't for TSO; with Paul gone I think you will see more of this. The over the top singing and all that arm waving from Johnson, Lavie, Jerry(ouch), Reeves(yuk), even my beloved Georgia but at least she looks good to make up for it lol. I passed on the show in 2017 after 10 years and again in 2018 and I have no regrets. I have found new music.

So you passed on the tour for the last 2 years but you can still judge fan reaction? I guess I'm left to wonder why you are still torturing yourself by watching the videos then?

TSO used to always include a cover tune in their shows. You know this, or at least you should. Maybe the inclusion of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" has personal meaning to the events of the past. I'll have to remember to ask.

"Chance" got huge cheers in the 3 shows I attended. Many people knew what it was, but even those who didn't were saying how awesome it was. It's nice that East now has two rock star singers. Something they've needed for a while. They were wasting Zak in previous years.

You don't like arm waving singers? So you also must hate Bruce Dickinson and Ronnie James Dio (RIP). If not that's fine, but at least be consistent.

I thought it was only Kayla that you hated even though fan reaction proves she is the most popular. (Russell is the most popular of the men using the same criteria.)

RE: WHY for 2018 - danfromnj - 12-31-2018

(12-30-2018, 04:56 PM)TSOd Wrote: The 2018 Tour ends today but WHY for 2018: the Pink Floyd music before Tracers; made no sense whatsoever. Chance: no reason for this to be in the show,totally out of place and stuck out like a sore thumb to seasoned knowledgeable fans of TSO  who came to see TSO, don't care a twit about Savatage, and the first timers  for the same reason; this is not a Savatage concert or Wacken; and who was front and center on stage for this if not Caffery; you know he ate this up; if you slash his wrists he would bleed Savatage not TSO and Oliva has always been jealous of Paul and the HUGE success of TSO which Oliva could not achieve with Savatage; they would both be nowhere if it weren't for TSO; with Paul gone I think you will see more of this. The over the top singing and all that arm waving from Johnson, Lavie, Jerry(ouch), Reeves(yuk), even my beloved Georgia but at least she looks good to make up for it lol. I passed on the show in 2017 after 10 years and again in 2018 and I have no regrets. I have found new music.

Wow!  Lots of complaints from someone who doesn't even go to their shows anymore.

"the Pink Floyd music before Tracers" - Shine On You Crazy Diamond was written as a tribute and remembrance to Pink Floyd's former band member Syd Barrett.  It's possible that the idea to include that in the TSO show was for a similar reason.  Was it a smooth transition into Tracers?  No.  But as mentioned above, TSO have a long history of including cover tunes into their show.  They used to play Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide", Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help", Led Zep's "Immigrant Song" and many more. Did those covers also make "no sense whatsoever"?  They made as much sense as the Floyd.

"Chance: no reason for this to be in the show" - this basically replaced the previous Savatage song "The Mountain" that was a staple of their set for years.  It had just as much reason to be in the show as any of the other Savatage songs they have re-worked over the years.  Maybe more so since the original singer of that song is now on hand to sing it.

"Oliva has always been jealous of Paul and the HUGE success of TSO which Oliva could not achieve with Savatage" - would love to see some actual evidence of that jealousy.  That statement sounds like your speculation.  

"with Paul gone I think you will see more of this." - It was Paul's decision to bring in Savatage songs into the TSO oeuvre in the first place -songs like "Believe", "Prelude to Madness" (aka "The Mountain") and "Mozart And Madness" (aka "Mozart and Memories").  So them re-doing "Chance" (which was also done on the three spring tours) is just in line with what they have been doing for a while now.

"The over the top singing and all that arm waving" - is something that TSO has been guilty of for many many years now.  It's part of the whole "over the top" presentation that they put on. You may not like it, but it is certainly nothing new.

"even my beloved Georgia but at least she looks good to make up for it" - glad to see your shallowness on display.  So if the other singers were more to your liking visually, their over-the-top performance would be ok?

"I passed on the show in 2017 after 10 years and again in 2018" - and yet here you are, still in TSO forums complaining about their shows that you don't go to.  Why is that?

Here's the thing - everything that you just complained about is stuff that they have been doing for years.  It is a show made up of extravagant and overblown production and thrives on excess.  If you want a Christmas concert without Savatage songs, without over the top singing and all that arm waving, without cover songs that make no sense...go see The Wizards of Winter - highly praised band with none of the above complaints, all original material and often compared favorably to the pre-spectacle TSO tours.

RE: WHY for 2018 - sundance7490 - 12-31-2018

Couldn't have said it better, Dan. But just out of curiosity to the OP, how come TSO bothers you so much? Or where was it that the band and the direction of everything just rubbed you the wrong way? It seems evident you started out liking them but at some point "moved on"... yet you follow their every move. Was it when they were still Savatage or at the beginning of TSO?

RE: WHY for 2018 - JustTimTheBigTBone - 01-05-2019

(12-31-2018, 04:39 PM)sundance7490 Wrote: Couldn't have said it better, Dan. But just out of curiosity to the OP, how come TSO bothers you so much? Or where was it that the band and the direction of everything just rubbed you the wrong way? It seems evident you started out liking them but at some point "moved on"... yet you follow their every move. Was it when they were still Savatage or at the beginning of TSO?

What is really a head scratcher is that he hasn't seen TSO in over two years and knows more about the shows than I do, and I have been going since 2004...BTW, I really like the Floyd song going into Tracers and if you paid attention on the video, they did that so they could get those overhead crane platforms into place and it was pretty cool because those cranes were moving slow in time with the slow music.

RE: WHY for 2018 - SkyDiver - 01-10-2019

(01-05-2019, 12:29 AM)JustTimTheBigTBone Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 04:39 PM)sundance7490 Wrote: Couldn't have said it better, Dan. But just out of curiosity to the OP, how come TSO bothers you so much? Or where was it that the band and the direction of everything just rubbed you the wrong way? It seems evident you started out liking them but at some point "moved on"... yet you follow their every move. Was it when they were still Savatage or at the beginning of TSO?

What is really a head scratcher is that he hasn't seen TSO in over two years and knows more about the shows than I do, and I have been going since 2004...BTW, I really like the Floyd song going into Tracers and if you paid attention on the video, they did that so they could get those overhead crane platforms into place and it was pretty cool because those cranes were moving slow in time with the slow music.

The West show did not use the Pink Floyd song.  I enjoyed the show this year.  I don't know if the East show changed some things up, but I know that Al Pitrelli played some of the songs a little differently this year (which was good).  I usually have seats in the first five rows or so.  This year, I took my kids instead of my wife and we sat way up and near the back.  It was still a great show and a nice change of location.

RE: WHY for 2018 - SkyDiver - 01-10-2019

Wow, I don't know where all of that crap came from.

[Edit] - I cleaned up that post. - mod.

RE: WHY for 2018 - KISSAlien - 01-11-2019

(01-10-2019, 05:25 PM)SkyDiver Wrote: The West show did not use the Pink Floyd song.  I enjoyed the show this year.  I don't know if the East show changed some things up, but I know that Al Pitrelli played some of the songs a little differently this year (which was good).  I usually have seats in the first five rows or so.  This year, I took my kids instead of my wife and we sat way up and near the back.  It was still a great show and a nice change of location.

Not sure where you saw them, but they did do "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" as an intro to "Tracers" on both tours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmF7uxt87P8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsDUm9J-r4g

RE: WHY for 2018 - JustTimTheBigTBone - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 02:40 AM)KISSAlien Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 05:25 PM)SkyDiver Wrote: The West show did not use the Pink Floyd song.  I enjoyed the show this year.  I don't know if the East show changed some things up, but I know that Al Pitrelli played some of the songs a little differently this year (which was good).  I usually have seats in the first five rows or so.  This year, I took my kids instead of my wife and we sat way up and near the back.  It was still a great show and a nice change of location.

Not sure where you saw them, but they did do "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" as an intro to "Tracers" on both tours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmF7uxt87P8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsDUm9J-r4g

And it was pretty cool.....