Trans Siberian Orchestra Message Boards
John O.Reilly talks TSO, Wizards of Winter in new interview - Printable Version

+- Trans Siberian Orchestra Message Boards (http://tsoboards.com)
+-- Forum: Trans Sibieran Orchestra (http://tsoboards.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TSO General (http://tsoboards.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: John O.Reilly talks TSO, Wizards of Winter in new interview (/showthread.php?tid=663)

John O.Reilly talks TSO, Wizards of Winter in new interview - danfromnj - 04-28-2019

As part of my long-running TSO Interview Series, I caught up with drummer John O.Reilly.  

Some of the subjects we covered:

- John could have been in KISS? ;-)
- Working with Yoko Ono on Lennon's Double Fantasy album
- How he got hired for TSO
- How much John enjoyed playing the electronic drums for TSO
- Being let go from TSO and why he joined The Wizards of Winter
- And much more!

Enjoy!

http://www.musicandartinterviews.com/2019/04/john-oreilly.html

[Image: 5B2922BE-wizards-of-winter-announce-new-...-image.jpg]

RE: John O.Reilly talks TSO, Wizards of Winter in new interview - MikeNY - 04-30-2019

This was great! Thanks for sharing! I never ever heard of that JF Murphy & Salt band, so thanks for adding in the music videos - interesting stuff for sure! Still stinks about him getting fired from TSO, but hey - their loss is The Wizards of Winter's gain! He comes across as a super nice guy and he obviously knows his stuff.

RE: John O.Reilly talks TSO, Wizards of Winter in new interview - TSOd - 07-27-2019

(04-30-2019, 12:10 AM)MikeNY Wrote: This was great!  Thanks for sharing!  I never ever heard of that JF Murphy & Salt band, so thanks for adding in the music videos - interesting stuff for sure!  Still stinks about him getting fired from TSO, but hey - their loss is The Wizards of Winter's gain!  He comes across as a super nice guy and he obviously knows his stuff.
Scott Kelley signing JOR is just another attempt by WOW to stick it to TSO and ride TSOs coattails. SK and WOW boldly advertise they have ex TSO members but say "we are not TSO." lol They look like dress like have guitars like use special effects like use stories like TSO but yet "we are not TSO." lol They are nothing but TSO wannabes. I would not go see them if they were across the street and I were given free front row seats. It was sad how  JOR was unceremoniously dumped. What is the back story to the WOW drummer? All this says is SK asked JOR if he were interested in joining. Was that drummer dumped also to get another TSO feather in SK cap?

RE: John O.Reilly talks TSO, Wizards of Winter in new interview - danfromnj - 07-28-2019

(07-27-2019, 02:33 AM)TSOd Wrote: Scott Kelley signing JOR is just another attempt by WOW to stick it to TSO and ride TSOs coattails. SK and WOW boldly advertise they have ex TSO members but say "we are not TSO." lol They look like dress like have guitars like use special effects like use stories like TSO but yet "we are not TSO." lol They are nothing but TSO wannabes. I would not go see them if they were across the street and I were given free front row seats. It was sad how  JOR was unceremoniously dumped. What is the back story to the WOW drummer? All this says is SK asked JOR if he were interested in joining. Was that drummer dumped also to get another TSO feather in SK cap?

Ah, gotta love TSOd/Mike Mitchell.  For the uninitiated, Mike has been trashing The Wizards for years - at least since 2013 on the old TSO Boards when he realized that they existed.  The funny thing is, Mike has never seen them live nor listened to their music - he seems to hate them just for existing. 

So just for fun, lets pick a part Mike's ranting here:

(07-27-2019, 02:33 AM)TSOd Wrote: Scott Kelley signing JOR is just another attempt by WOW to stick it to TSO and ride TSOs coattails.

This is made up by Mike.  Fake news, as they say.  Why would Scott want to "stick it to TSO"?  He has gone on record that he is a fan of their music.  And "ride TSOs coattails"?  Nope, wrong again.  They are forging their own path with their own music and Christmas concerts.  Inspired by TSO?  Sure. Obviously The Wizards would not exist if it wasn't for TSO. But their concerts are much different from what TSO presents.

(07-27-2019, 02:33 AM)TSOd Wrote: SK and WOW boldly advertise they have ex TSO members but say "we are not TSO."

WOW boldly advertise that they have band members from several bands. A quick look at the blurb at any of the shows currently on sale all say something similar to this: "The Wizards of Winter is a holiday rock event for the whole family. Featuring former members of classic rock bands such as The Trans-Siberian Orchestra, The Irish Tenors, Rainbow, Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper Band and others..."  Not sure how "bold" it is to mention the pedigree of some of their band members, but many groups do this and it helps give potential ticket buyers some info on the band if they weren't familiar with The Wizards.

(07-27-2019, 02:33 AM)TSOd Wrote: They look like dress like have guitars like use special effects like use stories like TSO
- They look like TSO?  I'm not sure what that means. Because some guys have long hair? 
- They dress like TSO?  Sure, they dress formally and some wear the tux jackets that TSO, Mannheim Steamroller, Brian Setzer's Orchestra all wear.  It is a formal look and it is probably inspired from when they started out as a TSO tribute band to raise money for food pantrys. 
- Have guitars like TSO? I can't figure this one out at all.  Pitrelli's main guitar is a Les Paul, Hoekstra is endorsed by Gibson, Angus Clark's main guitar is built by Atomic Guitar Works and modeled on a Gibson Flying V, and Caffery plays a variety of guitars.  The Wizards' longest serving guitarist, Fred Gorhau, plays exclusively ESP guitars.  Last year, Chris Green played PRS guitars, I believe.  Not sure what Steve Brown will play this year.  Point being - every rock guitarist has their own guitars and endorsements.  "have guitars like TSO" just makes no sense.
- They use special effects like TSO?  LOL Mike, this just shows how biased and clueless you are about this band.  They have a nice production, but it is nowhere near or similar to TSO's.  And they are proud of that - the band does not want to be known for effects - it is a Christmas concert.
- They use stories like TSO - finally, you have hit upon their closest similarity.  Yup, they do have a narrator (TSO's original and narrator for 12 years) and the show has a storyline.  No argument there.  Clearly inspired by TSO, but it is not a story about a lost child in the night. It is a very literal storyline about the band and audience traveling to different points on the globe and time to explore the meaning of Christmas.

(07-27-2019, 02:33 AM)TSOd Wrote: They are nothing but TSO wannabes

Your opinion, clearly.  But again, not true.  They have their own music and their own vision. Inspired by early TSO, absolutely. If you were to experience one of their concerts, you would see how different they are.  But looks like you choose to stay uninformed:

(07-27-2019, 02:33 AM)TSOd Wrote: I would not go see them if they were across the street and I were given free front row seats.

That's ok.  You have also ranted on this forum and elsewhere that you now refuse to see TSO as well.  Bummer - lots of good Christmas-themed entertainment that you are missing out on.

(07-27-2019, 02:33 AM)TSOd Wrote: It was sad how  JOR was unceremoniously dumped.

Sure was.  Many others employed by TSO have been "dumped" over the years in similar fashion.  It stinks.

(07-27-2019, 02:33 AM)TSOd Wrote: What is the back story to the WOW drummer? All this says is SK asked JOR if he were interested in joining. Was that drummer dumped also to get another TSO feather in SK cap?

Since I am the one who interviewed John, I will speak to that.  As John stated in the interview, "We continued staying in touch over a period of time, talking business, and I helped to create a digital lyric booklet for their fans. One of the changes that they were looking to make was in the drumming department in the band and during one of our conversations one day, Scott asked if I would be interested in drumming for The Wizards of Winter. I took some time to think about it and said, "yes"...They are real, honest and great people. Through all of our business discussions I never got a sense of bullshit or putting on airs. They were always very upfront with me with everything. I really enjoyed going out on tour with them, and we're going in the studio shortly to record a new record!"

The band had an established relationship with John on the business side.  The band was also looking to change drummers for reasons that are not anyone's business.  They were talking with other drummers about the opportunity but the situation with John just progressed organically.  He was already someone that they all felt comfortable with fitting in with the band, and he is an amazing drummer.  I mean really, who would not want John O.Reilly in their band if given a chance?

Mike, I know you won't let the facts get in the way with your hatred for the band.  Just felt that the facts should be presented in reflection to your mean-spirited, factually incorrect rant.

RE: John O.Reilly talks TSO, Wizards of Winter in new interview - KISSAlien - 07-28-2019

Yeah, why hate on The Wizards? I saw them for the first time last year and I really liked the show. Like Dan said, it has a story and a narrator but they certainly weren't trying to be TSO. I would love to see them again this year, but it doesn't look like I will be able to. They are all very good musicians and singers and in my experience nice people.

I met Sharon and Scott for the first time at a show that Bart Shatto did in PA. They were both fun and made me feel like I was a family member.

I met Fred Gorhau a few years ago at a DSC show while he was having a smoke. I saw him one more time when they opened for Fozzy. Besides being a great guitar player I found him to be a cool person. I had ordered some DSC merch and didn't get it. Fred jumped through hoops to make sure I got my stuff. I felt really bad for him, but it was obvious he really cared that I was happy.

When I saw the WOW show I asked if he had a pick I could have. He didn't have any on him, but said he'd get one to me. After the tour was over I got a package with both WOW and DSC picks and a copy of the new DSC album. Who does that?

Like I said, I would love to see them again. I would recommend them to anybody. Well unless you hate Christmas music like I used to.

RE: John O.Reilly talks TSO, Wizards of Winter in new interview - KISSAlien - 07-28-2019

Dan I don't know that much about guitars but I recall Chris played a black Gordon Smith (which I really liked) and also a Gibson Les Paul, but I'd have to look at my pics to make sure. Let me check.