Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guy LeMonnier talks TSO, Kings of Christmas, more in new interview
I recently caught up with vocalist and actor Guy LeMonnier for an in-depth sit-down interview. TSO fans will certainly know Guy as the voice of "Young Beethoven" on the Beethoven's Last Night album. Guy was also a founding member of the TSO live shows, performing on the 1999 tour and carrying on for six more years as the voice of the "Angel".

Some of the subjects we covered:

- His experiences touring on that initial and subsequent tours
- Differences between East and West touring troupes
- The infamous cow costume!
- His dismissal from TSO
- The story behind the Kings of Christmas
- Touring and recording with The Wizards of Winter

http://musicandartinterviews.blogspot.co...nnier.html

Guy has some wonderful memories of touring with TSO and offers a little peek behind the curtain from his years touring and recording with them. Hope everyone enjoys.
That was a great interview.  I would like to know more about the firings Guy mentions.  Who has the dirt? 
(01-25-2015, 02:44 PM)admin Wrote: That was a great interview.  I would like to know more about the firings Guy mentions.  Who has the dirt? 

theres a lot of great info the other interviews if you havent read them.
http://musicandartinterviews.blogspot.com/
the interviews with former members though, not current members. they fear for losing their jobs too much to speak the truth lol
(01-26-2015, 04:20 AM)Savage_Dreams Wrote: ...they fear for losing their jobs too much to speak the truth lol

Seriously though... I really can't blame them for not speaking their minds. It's a pretty darn good gig and it pays the bills. I know at my job (I have one I enjoy and that I would like to keep) I would like to speak up more and tell my boss to go stick it, but it's some times better just to keep my mouth closed (which admittedly I do have trouble doing from time-to-time). As much as I don't agree with certain things at my job, I understand the concept behind "Don't bite the hand that feeds!"
What is "the truth"? I have read for a while that Paul O'Neill is a perfectionist and can be a tyrant.  I also read from an interview with Alex Skolnick that he appreciated the TSO gigs but he felt stifled creatively.  It is Paul's way or NO WAY.

I guess he controls the money and the direction.  Obey or else. Smile

He (they) have put together a money making machine after so many years of struggles so I guess you can't blame him that much.  Why mess with what isn't broken even if it does feel stale and choreographed at times.  
(01-27-2015, 10:03 AM)admin Wrote: What is "the truth"? I have read for a while that Paul O'Neill is a perfectionist and can be a tyrant.  I also read from an interview with Alex Skolnick that he appreciated the TSO gigs but he felt stifled creatively.  It is Paul's way or NO WAY.

I guess he controls the money and the direction.  Obey or else. Smile

He (they) have put together a money making machine after so many years of struggles so I guess you can't blame him that much.  Why mess with what isn't broken even if it does feel stale and choreographed at times.  

I get why Alex left... creativity and all that. Hated to see him go. However, I don't blame him one bit because he probably wasn't going to have a lot of input if any. I am glad I haven't read anything about him thrashing TSO management, etc. However, he is in a different boat than some of the other folks who left (by choice or not). Testament is still pretty successful, he gets creative input, and has some other side gigs (if you are into jazz, AST is pretty killer).

As for the truth? It's really none of my business. It's my choice to buy the album or go to the show. Personally, I don't disagree with the direction Paul has brought the band (although a new record would be great). He puts his money where his mouth is and delivers a spectacular show... year-after-year. All while keeping the ticket prices relatively low. Choreographed? Yeah... with as big as the show has gotten it is probably necessary from a safety stand point. Stale show? Not the first half at least. I think they made a great decision to switch up the show the last few years and to visit Christmas Attic this year. The second half is where I would like a little more variety (and length). BUT I am constantly bitching about set lists, not just by TSO! I go into fits of rage whenever I see Kiss set lists these days!!!
(01-27-2015, 11:03 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: Choreographed? Yeah... with as big as the show has gotten it is probably necessary from a safety stand point.

yea, but theres a big difference between knowing where to not stand when pyro goes off and synchronized hair flipping Wink

i could do without them hitting a mark to do the same wink and nod and each other in the same place everytime.
(01-27-2015, 11:03 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: I get why Alex left... creativity and all that. Hated to see him go. However, I don't blame him one bit because he probably wasn't going to have a lot of input if any. I am glad I haven't read anything about him thrashing TSO management, etc.

Alex spoke pretty plainly about his leaving in a 2011 interview:

"The Gauntlet: I thought you stepped away from TSO to have more time for you, but it seems like you are busier than ever.

Alex: That is right. I stepped away indefinitely and I have been so busy with so many cool things. None of them are as big as TSO. It is such a big production and big venues with tons of people. It is really more about the show than the people in the show. Keep in mind I have done it nine times. It isn’t like I haven’t gotten the experience. I know the deal and I know what it is like. I had a great time doing it and it was very educational. A show like that helps you. I am very grateful for the opportunity but I am also at a point in my life where I am more interested in doing things that are more about the people performing. I want to be an individual, even if it is smaller. I would rather have a bigger role in a smaller show than a tiny role in a huge show. Some people point to it and say it isn’t a tiny role and they come to see the show for me and my features, but the majority of the show is about a lighting rig. It is a three hour show and there are times where you are playing and their are dancing girls, explosions and platforms rising. It is awesome. But sometimes when you play you want it to be about the music.

The Gauntlet: So you don’t want the same billing as a rising platform?

Alex: A platform! Exactly! Or a laser. We all had our fans. The men would be ogling over the girls and us guys had our share of female fans; although they were usually much older and with their husbands.
"
(01-30-2015, 12:56 AM)Savage_Dreams Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 11:03 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: Choreographed? Yeah... with as big as the show has gotten it is probably necessary from a safety stand point.

yea, but theres a big difference between knowing where to not stand when pyro goes off and synchronized hair flipping Wink

i could without them hitting a mark to do the same wink and nod and each other in the same place everytime.

Exactly. I think this is what Guy means when he says "...the show today doesn't breathe like it used to.". It started out to be more like a rock concert and gradually, with stricter direction, became more of a Show, with a capital "S".
(01-30-2015, 12:56 AM)Savage_Dreams Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 11:03 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: Choreographed?  Yeah... with as big as the show has gotten it is probably necessary from a safety stand point.

i could without them hitting a mark to do the same wink and nod and each other in the same place everytime.

I know what you mean... BUT it sure makes editing multi-cam videos A LOT easier when you need to add extra footage from a different show!