Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R.I.P. David Z
It truly is such a sad day to learn of Dave's death. Dave was so about the music. No drama, no hassles. Just the music. I had the pleasure of getting to know him and back in November of 2013 he sat for an interview for my series of TSO interviews. He knew of my interviews and was thrilled that I asked. We met before a Rubix Kube show in New York City and found a dressing room to hang for a couple hours.  We chatted about TSO of course, as well as Rubix Kube, his work with his brother in ZO2 and other bands that he was involved in. As I wrote in the introduction, Bassist David Z is full of energy. Whether it is playing bass in a tux while touring with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, shirtless at one of his ZO2 shows, dressed in bright '80s garb with Rubix Kube, or simply sitting across the table from me in a club dressing room, David is indefatigable. As he himself says, he is "always on ten". And for those lucky enough to work with him or catch him in concert, his spirited personality and enthusiasm for life and music are contagious

We also talked about his recorded work with TSO. As many may know, Paul worked a bit unconventionally in the studio, often chopping up bits of recorded music and even vocal syllables to fit in where he thought best. As a result, it is hard for most TSO performers to tell you which song you can hear them playing on. But there is one in particular that David was so proud of - it was just he and Al playing.  As Dave told it: "The only song that I know I am on for sure - and I am very proud of this song - is "Christmas Jazz". That was just me and Al Pitrelli together. That one was so much fun and it stands out more to me because it's just the two of us - there are no vocals or other instruments - it's just guitar and bass. I am very proud of that one and Al is the consummate professional and such an amazing musician. It was a pleasure and an honor to be able to play a tune with just him and me. He is such a great person to work with in the studio as well. Paul O'Neill was trying to get us into that vibe where "you guys are two old timers who have been coming into this bar and you're old buddies and just playing this thing together".

I'm sure many TSO fans will remember his dance moves, his biceps, his fun on stage with Chris Caffery, or his charming personality in the signing line. I think this is a great way for us TSO fans to remember him - listen to his wonderful bass playing on this 2-minute piece of music and think of the joy he had creating this.

His jumping on Nutrocker was always a memorable experience. He was young and talented. So sad.

This is an awful year for TSO.
(07-15-2017, 11:57 AM)DarkMacek Wrote: His jumping on Nutrocker was always a memorable experience. He was young and talented. So sad.

This is an awful year for TSO.

This is beyond awful, it's horrendous! For those of you that don't know, it was Adrenaline Mob that was involved in a horrible car crash, taking David's life as a result. Russell Allen is also part of the band but I'm not sure if he was involved in the crash. I seriously hope not. To think one of the main reasons I was going to see the east group this year was the excitement to see finally David Z and Russell! Loved his dance moves from everything I saw on his videos.

I'm providing a link to the article I just saw about it. I officially became a fan of David's when I saw him performing with Mark Wood's band in his latest album. It was nice to see him just as involved in a "lost" TSO member's work as he was still with the Orchestra. Oh David, you didn't leave us. You were taken from us too soon Sad

http://loudwire.com/adrenaline-mob-invol...n-florida/
(07-15-2017, 12:27 PM)sundance7490 Wrote: This is beyond awful, it's horrendous! For those of you that don't know, it was Adrenaline Mob that was involved in a horrible car crash, taking David's life as a result. Russell Allen is also part of the band but I'm not sure if he was involved in the crash. I seriously hope not. To think one of the main reasons I was going to see the east group this year was the excitement to see finally David Z and Russell! Loved his dance moves from everything I saw on his videos.

I'm providing a link to the article I just saw about it. I officially became a fan of David's when I saw him performing with Mark Wood's band in his latest album. It was nice to see him just as involved in a "lost" TSO member's work as he was still with the Orchestra. Oh David, you didn't leave us. You were taken from us too soon Sad

http://loudwire.com/adrenaline-mob-invol...n-florida/

The whole band - including Russell - were involved. They have not yet released the condition of each person, though three are in critical condition. So sad.
I saw something earlier this morning that Russell is in the hospital in "serious" condition but had texted a few people asking them to pray for the 3 band members who are still "critical."

Such a sad situation.

I just can't believe TSO's "Happy Feet" won't be there, cutting up with Chris & Joel/Bill/Whoever.... Before we ever learned any TSO members' names, my husband & I were always talking about "Happy Feet" because Dave had made such an impression on us. (And we're not gonna talk about the impression he made on our then-teenage daughter - lol!)

Makes you wonder if TSO can absorb this latest tragedy (especially if Russell Allen isn't able to tour this year) and keep rolling on....
Chris Altenhoff was pretty good. He did 3 tours with TSO, I think.
(07-17-2017, 06:35 PM)Sabotage Wrote: Chris Altenhoff was pretty good. He did 3 tours with TSO, I think.

Altenhoff was a very good bassist. TSO performers raved about his skills. He also toured with Al and Jane in O2'L and worked with Andrew and Angus on the first DareDevil Squadron album and shows. He has been out of the scene for a while now so I would not expect to see him back. Quite a challenging situation for whoever they hire to play bass.
A wonderful tribute from Dave's brother Paulie,

Well, 2017 is almost over. It started out great actually and then quickly became the worst year of my life when I lost my brother and best friend David on July 14th. This past week was especially hard because it was the first holiday season without him. Normally around this time I would go with my family to see David perform with Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It was always a very proud moment for us. TSO sent my family a bunch of tickets to this year’s show and had a tribute planned for David. At first I wasn’t sure I wanted to go because it would be too hard, but my parents wanted to go and I knew I had to be there with them and for them.

The show was great as it always is, but you can definitely feel something missing. It was so hard to watch and not see David up there doing his thing. He was such a force of nature with a huge presence. For the most part I was fine, but when they played Sarajevo, the most well known TSO song, I lost it. I soon realized that my brother and my parents had lost it too so we were all a mess, but at least we were together. It was a very painful experience, but we were with a group of very close friends and family and their love and support helped us get through it. Thank you guys.

David started playing with TSO about 18 years ago so it’s been a major part of his life. That gig opened many doors which would allow David to realize his dream of being a Rock Star. TSO has been extremely kind to our family and very generous as well. For example, on Tuesday right before the show, it was announced that TSO will be donating $10,553 to the David Z Fund! It was a very touching moment and so greatly appreciated. For all the above and more I would like to say a big THANK YOU to TSO for everything you’ve done for David and the whole Z Family.

With this in mind and the year coming to an end I felt the urge to create a video tribute of David’s life set to the tune of TSO’s Prince of Peace. I chose to sing this song for a few reasons: 1) it’s my favorite TSO song 2) it reminds me of when I first saw David on stage with TSO and how he and I both got goosebumps hearing Daryl Pediford sing this song (he too passed away many years ago) and 3) David was one of the most peaceful and beautiful human beings I ever knew which makes him a real life "prince of peace" in my book. Anyone who knew him well knows this to be true.

As I move into 2018 I choose to use David’s memory as a source of happiness and inspiration and I encourage you all to do the same. He and I shared the same motto: “you can’t control what happens to you, only how you react.” Let’s react by keeping David in our hearts, remembering just how precious life is and living each day to it’s fullest as he did and would want us to do. I am eternally grateful for having him in my life for 38 years and although his physical self isn’t here anymore, his spirit will be with me and all of us forever. Here’s to 2018 a new reality.
(01-01-2018, 07:44 AM)danfromnj Wrote: A wonderful tribute from Dave's brother Paulie,

That was awesome. I agree with Paulie that something was definitely missing. I went to more shows this year than ever (5) and though it was great, it was never quite the same. I loved all the tributes they did to Dave and Paul (especially Dave). The bass guitar in the window graphic was my favorite, but the actual call out during the band intros was nice.

I had the most trouble during "A Mad Russian's Christmas". To me that was Dave's song. The first three shows I went to I was stage left and the last two were center and stage right. So I didn't notice the tribute Chris did at the end of it until my 4th show. I loved his little dance and the point skyward afterwards. That helped me a lot to feel good about that song now. I assume Chris had been doing it all along and I didn't notice it.

Doing the signing line during the first and last weeks of the tour you could see the toll this year had taken. I hope that there is no more tragedy for the band(s) going forward.
(01-01-2018, 07:44 AM)danfromnj Wrote: A wonderful tribute from Dave's brother Paulie

***tears***

My daughter REFUSED to go see TSO this year for the first time since 2008 because she said she just didn't want to see them with "Happy Feet."

And yes, he was missed. The new kid is good but Dave Z was something special.