Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long-time TSO drummer John O'Reilly joins The Wizards of Winter!
John O'Reilly, who was with TSO from 2002 through 2016, has joined The Wizards of Winter  Press Release below:

For Immediate Release:

Holiday Rock Ensemble WIZARDS OF WINTER Announce New Drummer, Former Trans-Siberian Orchestra Member John O. Reilly

Holiday rock ensemble the WIZARDS OF WINTER – featuring former members of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Rainbow and the bands of Alice Cooper and Ted Nugent – are thrilled to add another former member of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra to their talented midst! The WIZARDS OF WINTER are pleased to welcome drummer John O. Reilly to the ensemble performing on their upcoming 2018 tour.

John O. Reilly has recorded, performed live, and appeared on video with some of the best, including Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Walsh (Eagles), Richie Cannata (Billy Joel), Jon Anderson (Yes), Geoff Tate (Queensryche), Tommy Shaw (Styx), Blackmore's Night, West World, Jane Mangini (O'2L), Joe Lynn Turner, Blue Oyster Cult, Al Pitrelli (Megadeth), Robin Zander (Cheap Trick), Randy Coven (Yngwie Malmsteen), Zack Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne), TM Stevens (Steve Vai), Steve Morse (Kansas/Dixie Dregs/Deep Purple), Alan Holdsworth, Stanley Jordan, Reb Beach, Jeff Watson (Night Ranger), Rod Price (Foghat), Peter Noone, Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz, Bobby Sherman, Yoko Ono, Richie Havens and more. Reilly performed with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra for over 15 years.

John O. Reilly says, “I’m proud and excited to be joining the WIZARDS OF WINTER this coming holiday season and beyond! There are great things ahead for this band, and I am truly honored to be a part of it and looking forward to seeing you on the road!”

WIZARDS OF WINTER Founder and keyboardist Scott Kelly adds, “Besides being a really nice person, John is the consummate professional. His long list of credentials speaks for itself. We are extremely excited and honored to have John join the band and greatly look forward to what the future is going to bring.”

The WIZARDS OF WINTER are an ensemble performing classical and progressive-influenced rock music woven throughout a theatrical holiday-themed show. The WIZARDS OF WINTER offer a diverse array of unique, original material with broad audience appeal performed in a more intimate setting.

Each night on tour, the WIZARDS OF WINTER evoke the spirit of Christmas, weaving a story entirely based on their latest full-length album, The Magic of Winter, and new music. Each WIZARDS OF WINTER performance showcases soaring vocal harmonies, precision string instrumentation, outstanding guitar leads, powerful percussion and stunning keyboard work – taking the listener on a musical “sleigh ride”, covering many genres from pop to progressive rock. Previous tours have seen the WIZARDS OF WINTER performing their brand of theatrical yuletide rock to tens of thousands of attendees and has grabbed the attention of mainstream media such as Entertainment Weekly and Yahoo Music.

Stay tuned for more information coming soon on the WIZARDS OF WINTER’s 2018 touring schedule, and listen to their latest single, “A Christmas Dream” – an enchanting medley featuring segments of the classic holiday tunes “My Favorite Things” and “Carol of the Bells” – here.

The Magic of Winter, which features the unforgettable single, “The Spirit of Christmas”, can be ordered in physical format here or purchased digitally via iTunes.

WIZARDS OF WINTER is:
Scott Kelly - Music Director, Keyboards
Sharon Kelly - Flute, Vocals
Fred Gorhau - Guitar
TW Durfy - Guitar
John O. Reilly – Drums
Greg Smith - Bass
Guy LeMonnier – Vocals
Vincent Jiovino - Vocals
Shawna Mehall - Vocals
Tony Gaynor – Narration

To learn more about the WIZARDS OF WINTER, please visit www.facebook.com/TheWizardsofWinter and www.thewizardsofwinter.com.
I am beyond thrilled to hear this! I was hoping John wouldn't be gone long from our sight for very long. I might be able to catch The Wizards when they go to Arizona! If I can go there to see TSO I sure as heck can go support he and Guy LeMonnier, and Tony Gaynor in Wizards Wink The three of them were some of the first ones I saw in 2006. I haven't seen Guy or Tony since then. Has anyone on these boards gotten the chance to see The Wizards? What do you think of them if so?
(06-20-2018, 02:26 PM)sundance7490 Wrote: I am beyond thrilled to hear this! I was hoping John wouldn't be gone long from our sight for very long. I might be able to catch The Wizards when they go to Arizona! If I can go there to see TSO I sure as heck can go support he and Guy LeMonnier, and Tony Gaynor in Wizards Wink The three of them were some of the first ones I saw in 2006. I haven't seen Guy or Tony since then. Has anyone on these boards gotten the chance to see The Wizards? What do you think of them if so?

I’ve seen them many times. They are part of my holiday concert going each year since 2013 along with TSO. I love their concerts.  Their original music is amazing - healthy dose of prog mixed with earworm-melodies.  The most important distinction between their concerts and TSO’s Shows is the Wizards’ focus on the band, the music and the message of Christmas. There is no spectacle factor - no dragon visuals, no pyro, no bad choreography - that’s just not their vision.  Tony and Guy - two guys who were there in the beginning of TSO - have told me that Wizards concerts remind them very much of those first few TSO tours before the spectacle took over.

I still see TSO as well - but for totally different reasons. Both bands complement each other imho.  The Wizards gives you a great concert that is all about Christmas - beginning to end - with amazing singers and a fabulous band and a healthy dose of fun.  TSO gives ya the over-the-top huge production and a great band performing Paul’s stories.
Very cool !  Good for John and good for The Wizards of Winter!  They got a good one for sure. I felt bad that John was fired after 15 years with TSO (but that seems par for the course for TSO, unfortunately - John is clearly still a great drummer), but glad he landed on his feet.  I have only seen The Wizards twice over the years, but they put on a great show.  Just don't expect the crazy lights and fire - just great Christmas rock tunes.
(06-21-2018, 11:01 AM)MikeNY Wrote: Very cool !  Good for John and good for The Wizards of Winter!  They got a good one for sure. I felt bad that John was fired after 15 years with TSO (but that seems par for the course for TSO, unfortunately - John is clearly still a great drummer), but glad he landed on his feet.  I have only seen The Wizards twice over the years, but they put on a great show.  Just don't expect the crazy lights and fire - just great Christmas rock tunes.

Oh the only ones I ever expect that from is TSO lol. If anyone or anything else even uses 1/4 of all they use then I'm surprised. But as far as Christmas shows go, anything is better than Mannheim Steamroller. Enormous disappointment mainly because the backing tracks were so loud none of the real instruments were ever heard if they were even in the system in the first place. Just a bunch of fake playing really. Half the concert was more like a commercial for the band. I even saw a great tribute show to TSO called "The Prophecy Show" that was far better than MS.
(06-20-2018, 12:59 AM)danfromnj Wrote: John O'Reilly, who was with TSO from 2002 through 2016, has joined The Wizards of Winter  Press Release below:

For Immediate Release:

Holiday Rock Ensemble WIZARDS OF WINTER Announce New Drummer, Former Trans-Siberian Orchestra Member John O. Reilly

Holiday rock ensemble the WIZARDS OF WINTER – featuring former members of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Rainbow and the bands of Alice Cooper and Ted Nugent – are thrilled to add another former member of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra to their talented midst! The WIZARDS OF WINTER are pleased to welcome drummer John O. Reilly to the ensemble performing on their upcoming 2018 tour.

John O. Reilly has recorded, performed live, and appeared on video with some of the best, including Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Walsh (Eagles), Richie Cannata (Billy Joel), Jon Anderson (Yes), Geoff Tate (Queensryche), Tommy Shaw (Styx), Blackmore's Night, West World, Jane Mangini (O'2L), Joe Lynn Turner, Blue Oyster Cult, Al Pitrelli (Megadeth), Robin Zander (Cheap Trick), Randy Coven (Yngwie Malmsteen), Zack Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne), TM Stevens (Steve Vai), Steve Morse (Kansas/Dixie Dregs/Deep Purple), Alan Holdsworth, Stanley Jordan, Reb Beach, Jeff Watson (Night Ranger), Rod Price (Foghat), Peter Noone, Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz, Bobby Sherman, Yoko Ono, Richie Havens and more. Reilly performed with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra for over 15 years.

John O. Reilly says, “I’m proud and excited to be joining the WIZARDS OF WINTER this coming holiday season and beyond! There are great things ahead for this band, and I am truly honored to be a part of it and looking forward to seeing you on the road!”

WIZARDS OF WINTER Founder and keyboardist Scott Kelly adds, “Besides being a really nice person, John is the consummate professional. His long list of credentials speaks for itself. We are extremely excited and honored to have John join the band and greatly look forward to what the future is going to bring.”

The WIZARDS OF WINTER are an ensemble performing classical and progressive-influenced rock music woven throughout a theatrical holiday-themed show. The WIZARDS OF WINTER offer a diverse array of unique, original material with broad audience appeal performed in a more intimate setting.

Each night on tour, the WIZARDS OF WINTER evoke the spirit of Christmas, weaving a story entirely based on their latest full-length album, The Magic of Winter, and new music. Each WIZARDS OF WINTER performance showcases soaring vocal harmonies, precision string instrumentation, outstanding guitar leads, powerful percussion and stunning keyboard work – taking the listener on a musical “sleigh ride”, covering many genres from pop to progressive rock. Previous tours have seen the WIZARDS OF WINTER performing their brand of theatrical yuletide rock to tens of thousands of attendees and has grabbed the attention of mainstream media such as Entertainment Weekly and Yahoo Music.

Stay tuned for more information coming soon on the WIZARDS OF WINTER’s 2018 touring schedule, and listen to their latest single, “A Christmas Dream” – an enchanting medley featuring segments of the classic holiday tunes “My Favorite Things” and “Carol of the Bells” – here.

The Magic of Winter, which features the unforgettable single, “The Spirit of Christmas”, can be ordered in physical format here or purchased digitally via iTunes.

WIZARDS OF WINTER is:
Scott Kelly - Music Director, Keyboards
Sharon Kelly - Flute, Vocals
Fred Gorhau - Guitar
TW Durfy - Guitar
John O. Reilly – Drums
Greg Smith - Bass
Guy LeMonnier – Vocals
Vincent Jiovino - Vocals
Shawna Mehall - Vocals
Tony Gaynor – Narration

To learn more about the WIZARDS OF WINTER, please visit www.facebook.com/TheWizardsofWinter and www.thewizardsofwinter.com.
If you have heard TSO you have heard WOW...sounds about the same. The guitarist sounds just like all TSO guitarists as well as the strings, drums and keyboards. Just a TSO copy cat with different lyrics and much less of a big time production. In fact WOW is very open to hiring former TSO members which they will let us all know that they were with TSO in their advertising...TSO without the big production, but if they get bigger they'll do the same thing...got to get bigger and better. They all start out small.
(08-03-2018, 02:59 AM)JustTimTheBigTBone Wrote: If you have heard TSO you have heard WOW...sounds about the same. The guitarist sounds just like all TSO guitarists as well as the strings, drums and keyboards. Just a TSO copy cat with different lyrics and much less of a big time production. In fact WOW is very open to hiring former TSO members which they will let us all know that they were with TSO in their advertising...TSO without the big production, but if they get bigger they'll do the same thing...got to get bigger and better. They all start out small.

I disagree about their music sounding similar. I find the Wizards tunes much more melodic in nature than anything Paul wrote.   Their guitarists play in many bands and sound similar to lots of others, just as the guitarists that work for TSO sound like others as well...imho of course. I don’t hear anything from any of them that make them sound like “Wizards guitarists” or “TSO guitarists”.  

I’m guessing you haven’t been to their shows to see how different they are from TSO. They certainly draw some inspiration from TSO as they were at one time a tribute band, but they are many years from those days. As far as the production, I can assure you that you are incorrect there. The carnival-like atmosphere at a TSO show with the dragons and fire and bad choreography was Paul’s vision. None of that is Scott Kelly’s vision. I’ve had the opportunity to interview him and he has gone on the record numerous times that he is not interested in leading the band in that direction. They are very happy doing an all-Christmas show and keeping the production level professional but no spectacle.

Like em or not, they put on a real fun concert and have great original music. :-)
(08-03-2018, 07:36 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(08-03-2018, 02:59 AM)JustTimTheBigTBone Wrote: If you have heard TSO you have heard WOW...sounds about the same. The guitarist sounds just like all TSO guitarists as well as the strings, drums and keyboards. Just a TSO copy cat with different lyrics and much less of a big time production. In fact WOW is very open to hiring former TSO members which they will let us all know that they were with TSO in their advertising...TSO without the big production, but if they get bigger they'll do the same thing...got to get bigger and better. They all start out small.

I disagree about their music sounding similar. I find the Wizards tunes much more melodic in nature than anything Paul wrote.   Their guitarists play in many bands and sound similar to lots of others, just as the guitarists that work for TSO sound like others as well...imho of course. I don’t hear anything from any of them that make them sound like “Wizards guitarists” or “TSO guitarists”.  

I’m guessing you haven’t been to their shows to see how different they are from TSO. They certainly draw some inspiration from TSO as they were at one time a tribute band, but they are many years from those days. As far as the production, I can assure you that you are incorrect there. The carnival-like atmosphere at a TSO show with the dragons and fire and bad choreography was Paul’s vision. None of that is Scott Kelly’s vision. I’ve had the opportunity to interview him and he has gone on the record numerous times that he is not interested in leading the band in that direction. They are very happy doing an all-Christmas show and keeping the production level professional but no spectacle.

Like em or not, they put on a real fun concert and have great original music. :-)

Never have seen WOW, would really like to but they have not come close enough to where I am.  I was in contact with Scott Kelly a few years back trying to get them to do a show and it just didn't pan out. No suitable venue in town (the best is a high school auditorium). The military base has a great theater similar to what WOW plays now but the logistics for that in such a short amount of time made it impossible. 

My ears are hearing TSO guitar, and what I mean is the sound/tone. To me, their guitars sound pretty much the same and I have listened to WOW stuff and thats what I hear.

As for Paul and his over the top stuff; I never and still don't get it. I have mentioned before that there is no need for the gyrating choreography, dragons, helicopters, missiles launching, wars, etc. in what was once a good Christmas time show. Paul took it in a very strange direction in trying to blow the minds of any and all that would attend a TSO concert, almost like he was trying to rival a KISS show. No need for all that pyro, lasers, smoke, catwalks, lifts, etc., if people want that, go see KISS. Maybe it was the pain meds that drove him to the craziness that is what TSO has become. Maybe Olivia will tone it down some (a whole bunch I hope) and go back to what made TSO the best Christmas event to attend during the season.  I hope Scott stays true to his word and keeps it simple, but who would have ever thought TSO would go the way of KISS for a Christmas production? Not I.