Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington KY - The Christmas Attic 2014
The show was amazing as always. In many ways, this was my favorite show yet even though it seemed more... "subdued" than in previous years - something that I've seen mentioned in other reviews of this year's show as well. My husband even commented that the musicians (and even Brian Hicks) weren't as "over the top" as in previous years. Hope they run Attic another year - I'd like to see it from another angle - especially since we had an absolute jerk in front of us who spent the entire show filming it on his monstrous Ipad that he held over his head. While standing. Blocking everyone's view of anything except his armpits.

Anyway, a few pics can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...b36c80ff10

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...b36c80ff10
Do you normally get the East cast in Kentucky? Wasn't this one of the "swing" states that sometimes changes?
there was a bit of different vibe in the band this past tour. if thsts the subdued part you mean. but speaking as a musician, having half your group on top of (and sometimes in) a box onstage cant be very conducive to band interaction. it made for a cool show, but it had to be a weird experience on stage. sure they are far apart from each other a lot on the big stage, but theres still a visual connection at least. im a bass player, and i would hate to not be able to see my drummer onstage.
I saw the show this year 6 times.  (3 east and 3 west). BOTH groups were awesome.   I have always been an "Eastie" because that is who I saw first and for my first four years.  BUT I live in Florida which is a swing state so we get West too.  The years we get West we always make a road trip up to North and/or South Carolina to get our East fix, as we did in Charlotte and Columbia this year!

The first night I saw the show this year in Charlotte I was kind of indifferent about it.  Not sure if it was because I was filming the whole thing or if it was because I was just not AS familiar with TCA.  I also thought initially that the big trunk on stage was more of a distraction at first, but it grew on me I suppose.  I still wish it was a bit smaller as I think the drummers and key #2 literally got swallowed up by it.  Also, I am kind of a set list snob and was a little irritated with the second half.  In particular... how do you leave Mad Russians out ???

However, by the next day in Columbia and a few weeks later in Jacksonville and Orlando, the show and music really hooked me.  I really think this may have ended up being one of their best Winter tours (still nothing compares to those BLN shows for me!).   Still iffy on the huge trunk, but I can live with it!
(01-18-2015, 08:13 AM)danfromnj Wrote: Do you normally get the East cast in Kentucky?  Wasn't this one of the "swing" states that sometimes changes?

Usually we get the East group but occasionally it swings. This year was East in both Lex & Cincy. However, 2013 was West in L'ville, no one in Lexington, and East in Cincinnati. p.s. That was the first time I'd ever seen the West group. Overall, my husband & I prefer the East group due to the dynamics & interaction between all the members but West has a few members who just blew us away: Chloe Lowery (Lord, that girl has a voice & half!!!), Andrew Ross & Jeff Scott Soto (an amazing overall showman) - not to mention Al Pitrelli & Johnny Lee Middleton.
yea, the big trunk, i bet it works great if youre farther back, but for me being front row it was a bit odd. only time i saw john O was during intros when he stood up. lol

i was also very surprised Mad Russian wasnt there, one of my favorites for sure
(01-19-2015, 01:37 AM)Savage_Dreams Wrote: yea, the big trunk, i bet it works great if youre farther back, but for me being front row it was a bit odd. only time i saw john O was during intros when he stood up. lol

i was also very surprised Mad Russian wasnt there, one of my favorites for sure

Yeah, it definitely affected the interaction between the artists. Roddy Chong especially was restricted due to it. He's normally all over the stage.
I wasn't wild about the trunk either. I also didn't like the giant-make-it-look-like-47-buildings-screen thing from 2013. I kept wondering what kind of projector they used and where it was located. I found it all very distracting. And, I also like to see the drumkit and Vitialij's keys.
I liked the trunk better when I saw it live than I did in pictures and videos, but that castle was the cream of the crop for me, honestly. I would've had no problems with it whatsoever if the castle had been reused, perhaps with the lifts/tables that they used for the strings/drums/2nd keyboards this year.
(01-21-2015, 05:24 PM)Sabotage Wrote: I liked the trunk better when I saw it live than I did in pictures and videos, but that castle was the cream of the crop for me, honestly. I would've had no problems with it whatsoever if the castle had been reused, perhaps with the lifts/tables that they used for the strings/drums/2nd keyboards this year.

Couldn't agree more... I think that 2013 stage set was my favorite. To me nothing compares to it and it was really brilliant idea.