Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rob Evan
Hi everybody, newbie here but a longtime TSO fan!

Who else dedicate my very first post here than to the one and only Rob Evan! Smile

Does anybody have any info about him coming back one day? He had is off time in the late 00s and returned with the BLN tours. Him not performing is the biggest loss that TSO has ever had. I totally adore how he is able to push the songs to a higher level live. I listen to a lot of music and my ability of having goosebumps vanished a bit but Rob's vocals can do it.

I consider myself lucky that I was able to hear him perfom Epiphany in Europe. My only show and I got my ultimately favourite song. It doesn't happen to me with other bands.

I look forward to any info and discussion about him.
(12-19-2020, 04:21 AM)Johny35 Wrote: Hi everybody, newbie here but a longtime TSO fan!

Who else dedicate my very first post here than to the one and only Rob Evan! Smile

Does anybody have any info about him coming back one day? He had is off time in the late 00s and returned with the BLN tours. Him not performing is the biggest loss that TSO has ever had. I totally adore how he is able to push the songs to a higher level live. I listen to a lot of music and my ability of having goosebumps vanished a bit but Rob's vocals can do it.

I consider myself lucky that I was able to hear him perfom Epiphany in Europe. My only show and I got my ultimately favourite song. It doesn't happen to me with other bands.

Hey welcome! Good to hear from a TSO fan from outside the USA. And I concur on Rob - just a wonderful vocalist. I am envious that you got to hear him sing Epiphany in person. Though I have seen Rob with TSO many many times, I have seen him probably more times outside of TSO (in various clubs, off-Broadway shows, Rock Tenor, and such). I am a huge fan of Jody Ashworth, who sang the Beethoven songs on the BLN album, but Rob did an incredible job bringing them to life on the three BLN tours. Those tours were some of the best Shows I have attended. I too am sad that he was let go from the act a couple years ago, but stuff happens. I can't see him being rehired, but ya never know. One of the last things he did musically was a Neil Diamond tribute show in a small venue that he has hopes of bringing to larger audiences.
(12-19-2020, 02:11 PM)danfromnj Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 04:21 AM)Johny35 Wrote: Hi everybody, newbie here but a longtime TSO fan!

Hey welcome!  Good to hear from a TSO fan from outside the USA.  And I concur on Rob - just a wonderful vocalist.  I am envious that you got to hear him sing Epiphany in person.  Though I have seen Rob with TSO many many times, I have seen him probably more times outside of TSO (in various clubs, off-Broadway shows, Rock Tenor, and such).  I am a huge fan of Jody Ashworth, who sang the Beethoven songs on the BLN album, but Rob did an incredible job bringing them to life on the three BLN tours. Those tours were some of the best Shows I have attended.  I too am sad that he was let go from the act a couple years ago, but stuff happens.  I can't see him being rehired, but ya never know.  One of the last things he did musically was a Neil Diamond tribute show in a small venue that he has hopes of bringing to larger audiences.
Yeah but it's difficult to be a fan outside the USA. I hoped they'd return to Europe more frequently. Now I only wish they came again. In 2014, I was a bit pissed that I'm not getting the Christmas show. Sure, it was after Christmas but still January, winter. When I learned there were playing so many Savatage songs and Epiphany, I forgot about Christmas.
I got into TSO because I knew a bit of Savatage and once I went to see Jon Oliva's Pain and totally fell in love with Believe and really enjoyed Chance and Gutter Ballet (and Firefly!). I also met with the band and could a have a word with Jon. So it got me hooked up and I started discovering the whole net of people and music among Savatage, Jon Oliva's Pain and Circle II Circle. It took me longer to gen into TSO and that was because I played Believe from Night Castle and didn't like it. Jon's version is just untouchable and that one was way too slow and the voice didn't fit for me. I got used to it now. However it was a thumb down for TSO Big Grin Then thanks to Christmas I got into Christmas Canon Rock and since then it has been one (sleigh) ride Smile 

Back to Rob. Was he really let go or did he go? I know he left midtour in 2017 and hasn't returned yet. I don't know if there was some ill blood or he just focuses on different things. Even though I like John Brink but he can't fill Rob's shoes. Not to speak about Dustin. Don't get me wrong, both guys are great singers but totally uncomparable to Rob and therefore I don't enjoy the songs that much. The same goes why I don't like Georgia Napolitano's Christmas Canon Rock, something is just off about it. Jennifer Cella raised the bar too high for anyone else.

I don't know how it works in terms of how many songs each singer sings but I think it was a fatal mistake to leave Rob with only one for the tours from 2015. Even the forst part ofthe tour could have had almost any songs as it was a made up best of eather than one of the classic stories. I think it's a nice idea to have it once in a while but I'm not a fan of it , I definitely prefer having one of the three albums. Anyway, I think that at least two songs could have been there for him. I've just finished the 2017 show and I guess one of the instrumentals could have been switched. Actually there were far too many instrumental songs to show the catwalks and etc. I understand that being in the arena was much different than for me watching a multicam on youtube. Still.. I think you get my point. It took only a few seconds into What Child Is This to hear the difference Smile and he's get more space last year and now when they are doing the first album again.

I like Russell but I don't understand why he had at least three or more songs (in the 2017 show I've just finished). I get it if there are certain characters in the story but you can compensate in the other half of the show. Or I repeat myself, Ghost Of Christmas Eve is patched together, anything can be played Big Grin
It'd be interesting to understand the way the songs and who's gonna sing them is decided. Keyla's songs were done by a male vocalist in the west etc. Natalia Rose is a dancer so she doesn't get any leads but more girls are there only to do backup vocals or dance. And not all of them in all the songs. I get that not performing every song saves them so they can do two shows a day sometimes everyday. However, it must be very difficult to be active only for a few minutes in a 2,5 hour show.

I gotta thank Brad for filming all the East shows. Since I'm at home with covid (I'll spend the Christmas alone Sad ) I've started watching the amazing multicams. 2018 and 2019 are left but I must say that the period from 2012 until 2015 was the best one. Unfortunately, I won't see the streamed show. I can only hope it 'll be for a purchase one day or someone puts on youtube. It streamed from 3 AM here and I didn't want to pay for something I was afraid of not working properly.

Oh crap, it's so long. Sorry Smile
(12-21-2020, 08:25 AM)Johny35 Wrote: Back to Rob. Was he really let go or did he go? I know he left midtour in 2017 and hasn't returned yet.

As mentioned, he was let go in the middle of the tour.
(12-21-2020, 08:25 AM)Johny35 Wrote:

Hey welcome!  Good to hear from a TSO fan from outside the USA.  And I concur on Rob - just a wonderful vocalist.  I am envious that you got to hear him sing Epiphany in person.  Though I have seen Rob with TSO many many times, I have seen him probably more times outside of TSO (in various clubs, off-Broadway shows, Rock Tenor, and such).  I am a huge fan of Jody Ashworth, who sang the Beethoven songs on the BLN album, but Rob did an incredible job bringing them to life on the three BLN tours. Those tours were some of the best Shows I have attended.  I too am sad that he was let go from the act a couple years ago, but stuff happens.  I can't see him being rehired, but ya never know.  One of the last things he did musically was a Neil Diamond tribute show in a small venue that he has hopes of bringing to larger audiences.
Yeah but it's difficult to be a fan outside the USA. I hoped they'd return to Europe more frequently. Now I only wish they came again. In 2014, I was a bit pissed that I'm not getting the Christmas show. Sure, it was after Christmas but still January, winter. When I learned there were playing so many Savatage songs and Epiphany, I forgot about Christmas.
I got into TSO because I knew a bit of Savatage and once I went to see Jon Oliva's Pain and totally fell in love with Believe and really enjoyed Chance and Gutter Ballet (and Firefly!). I also met with the band and could a have a word with Jon. So it got me hooked up and I started discovering the whole net of people and music among Savatage, Jon Oliva's Pain and Circle II Circle. It took me longer to gen into TSO and that was because I played Believe from Night Castle and didn't like it. Jon's version is just untouchable and that one was way too slow and the voice didn't fit for me. I got used to it now. However it was a thumb down for TSO Big Grin Then thanks to Christmas I got into Christmas Canon Rock and since then it has been one (sleigh) ride Smile 

Back to Rob. Was he really let go or did he go? I know he left midtour in 2017 and hasn't returned yet. I don't know if there was some ill blood or he just focuses on different things. Even though I like John Brink but he can't fill Rob's shoes. Not to speak about Dustin. Don't get me wrong, both guys are great singers but totally uncomparable to Rob and therefore I don't enjoy the songs that much. The same goes why I don't like Georgia Napolitano's Christmas Canon Rock, something is just off about it. Jennifer Cella raised the bar too high for anyone else.

I don't know how it works in terms of how many songs each singer sings but I think it was a fatal mistake to leave Rob with only one for the tours from 2015. Even the forst part ofthe tour could have had almost any songs as it was a made up best of eather than one of the classic stories. I think it's a nice idea to have it once in a while but I'm not a fan of it , I definitely prefer having one of the three albums. Anyway, I think that at least two songs could have been there for him. I've just finished the 2017 show and I guess one of the instrumentals could have been switched. Actually there were far too many instrumental songs to show the catwalks and etc. I understand that being in the arena was much different than for me watching a multicam on youtube. Still.. I think you get my point. It took only a few seconds into What Child Is This to hear the difference Smile and he's get more space last year and now when they are doing the first album again.

I like Russell but I don't understand why he had at least three or more songs (in the 2017 show I've just finished). I get it if there are certain characters in the story but you can compensate in the other half of the show. Or I repeat myself, Ghost Of Christmas Eve is patched together, anything can be played Big Grin
It'd be interesting to understand the way the songs and who's gonna sing them is decided. Keyla's songs were done by a male vocalist in the west etc. Natalia Rose is a dancer so she doesn't get any leads but more girls are there only to do backup vocals or dance. And not all of them in all the songs. I get that not performing every song saves them so they can do two shows a day sometimes everyday. However, it must be very difficult to be active only for a few minutes in a 2,5 hour show.

I gotta thank Brad for filming all the East shows. Since I'm at home with covid (I'll spend the Christmas alone Sad ) I've started watching the amazing multicams. 2018 and 2019 are left but I must say that the period from 2012 until 2015 was the best one. Unfortunately, I won't see the streamed show. I can only hope it 'll be for a purchase one day or someone puts on youtube. It streamed from 3 AM here and I didn't want to pay for something I was afraid of not working properly.

Glad you enjoy the videos and multi-cams, Johny35.
Contrary to what you might read elsewhere, Rob left.

Bp
(12-21-2020, 08:25 AM)Johny35 Wrote:

I heard that he was let go. Thanks for confirming. Bummer but I’m sure TSO had their reasons. Not sure I’d be into a Neil Diamond tribute, but if anyone could pull it off, it would be him.

Hope you are feeling better Jony!
(12-24-2020, 01:12 PM)squintyt4e Wrote: Glad you enjoy the videos and multi-cams, Johny35.
Contrary to what you might read elsewhere, Rob left.

Bp
You do an amazing job with your videos. I think you're the reason they haven't released any live show so far Big Grin they don't have to. The shows really helped me during my isolation. Btw do you have a full show of BLN tour from 2010? They played the full show there with my favourite I'll Keep Your Secrets and also Mephistopheles' Return. I don't get why they skipped them on the 2011 and 2012 tours, the story is not complete witout them.

Back to Rob. Whatever the reason is, it's a huge loss for TSO. There's something fundamental missing in the songs he used to sing. He even outsang himself live compared to the records.
(12-30-2020, 08:54 AM)Johny35 Wrote: Whatever the reason is, it's a huge loss for TSO. There's something fundamental missing in the songs he used to sing. He even outsang himself live compared to the records.

Agreed.  It’s a shame how things played out but agree it was TSO’s loss.

This is a video Rob made a couple days ago:

I'm putting together a YT playlist of all songs Rob performed with TSO.

I'm sure I'm missing some so I'd be happy if you helped me Smile plus Brad surely knows the best versions of the songs that were played multiple times Smile There aren't good quality videos of him singing songs from the first album Sad I've included some of my personal favourites like What Child Is This - one of his very last performances with TSO, the vocal is immensely powerful. Or Who Is This Child from that particular show. I didn't realize before that so many TSO song titles start with "who" or "what" Big Grin

I'm looking forward to your suggestions or songs I missed.

Enjoy the greatness:

An Angel Came Down
An Angel Returned

The World That He Sees
Christmas In The Air

What Good This Deafness
What Is Eternal
This Is Who You Are
Mephistoteles' Return
Who Is This Child

What Is Christmas
Back To A Reason II
What Child Is This

Epiphany
(01-09-2021, 01:02 AM)Johny35 Wrote: I'm looking forward to your suggestions or songs I missed.

Enjoy the greatness:

An Angel Came Down
An Angel Returned

The World That He Sees
Christmas In The Air

What Good This Deafness
What Is Eternal
This Is Who You Are
Mephistoteles' Return
Who Is This Child

What Is Christmas
Back To A Reason II
What Child Is This

Epiphany

Cool stuff. I always enjoyed Rob's TSO performances. I think you got em all, that I am aware of.