Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSO in 2021
(02-08-2021, 01:30 PM)admin Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 05:04 AM)danfromnj Wrote: They were doing something similar last year with booking theaters, but the intent then was to run out a third band playing in theaters along with the arena tour, thereby encroaching on the markets for TSO tribute bands and other theater-level acts.

Interesting.  That's the first I heard of that one.  Any idea who was going to be in the theater group?  I would probably prefer that to the sterile arena show.

I brought it up a year ago here in the 'TSO in 2020' thread. That third band was going to made up primarily of new hires, with a couple TSO vets/backups involved. It got as far along as rehearsals and booked theaters, but it eventually fell apart for a few different reasons.
(02-11-2021, 03:10 AM)Mangar Wrote: Really, unless they release some new music this year, I just can't work up much enthusiasm for TSO anymore.  I've seen them in concert four times, and always enjoyed it, but I don't have an urge to continue shelling out money to hear the same music again and again.  And even if they release a new album, it would have to be a significant improvement over NC and Letters for me to really get excited about it. 
I feel like 2020 would have been an ideal time for them to record new music, seeing as how they weren't on tour, and with that extra time, maybe they could have had something ready to release just before this year's tour.  But I haven't heard any reports of them taking advantage of the opportunity, which is a shame.

They - at least Al - had relocated to Tampa in early 2020 and began real, actual work on the Romanov album in TSO's studio.  While he worked on the music, singers were lined up for the various roles and demos/auditions were done remotely.  The plan was to eventually have the singers come to the studio to do the actual recording when they were ready for them, but Al returned home when the virus started getting out of control and all recording stopped.  All indications now are that the album has been shelved.

(02-11-2021, 07:53 AM)DarkMacek Wrote: What I'm used to hearing is that Paul and Al will get together and put most things together and pull in other members as needed. 
It's possible that, when using another guitar player, the part is tracked remotely and then re-amped there in the studio. But I am not sure that the band (or, Al and Paul) operate as such. They seem kinda traditional to me.

Paul spent a lot of money to buy Morrisound studio in Florida and make it an exclusive TSO recording spot.  99% of their recording was/is done in studio.  Everyone comes to that studio to record their parts, whether it is used or not.  I say 99% because there are a couple songs that did have their parts recorded remotely, but it is very much the exception. Going to that studio, spending time there and recording there is all very much part of the TSO experience.
(02-11-2021, 11:58 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:10 AM)Mangar Wrote: Really, unless they release some new music this year, I just can't work up much enthusiasm for TSO anymore.  I've seen them in concert four times, and always enjoyed it, but I don't have an urge to continue shelling out money to hear the same music again and again.  And even if they release a new album, it would have to be a significant improvement over NC and Letters for me to really get excited about it. 
I feel like 2020 would have been an ideal time for them to record new music, seeing as how they weren't on tour, and with that extra time, maybe they could have had something ready to release just before this year's tour.  But I haven't heard any reports of them taking advantage of the opportunity, which is a shame.

They - at least Al - had relocated to Tampa in early 2020 and began real, actual work on the Romanov album in TSO's studio.  While he worked on the music, singers were lined up for the various roles and demos/auditions were done remotely.  The plan was to eventually have the singers come to the studio to do the actual recording when they were ready for them, but Al returned home when the virus started getting out of control and all recording stopped.  All indications now are that the album has been shelved.

(02-11-2021, 07:53 AM)DarkMacek Wrote: What I'm used to hearing is that Paul and Al will get together and put most things together and pull in other members as needed. 
It's possible that, when using another guitar player, the part is tracked remotely and then re-amped there in the studio. But I am not sure that the band (or, Al and Paul) operate as such. They seem kinda traditional to me.

Paul spent a lot of money to buy Morrisound studio in Florida and make it an exclusive TSO recording spot.  99% of their recording was/is done in studio.  Everyone comes to that studio to record their parts, whether it is used or not.  I say 99% because there are a couple songs that did have their parts recorded remotely, but it is very much the exception.  Going to that studio, spending time there and recording there is all very much part of the TSO experience.
Thanks for the info!  Not sure why I had the impression that they recorded their parts separately.  Maybe it just stemmed the general impression I had of TSO not really being a "band" in the traditional sense.  

It's too bad that the Romanovs album was shelved (AGAIN!)  I still feel like the past year would have been a good time to make some real progress on it.  But who knows, maybe they made enough progress on the music that they'll be able to showcase some of it later this year, even if they haven't gotten around to recording it.  Fingers crossed.
(02-12-2021, 06:29 AM)Mangar Wrote: Thanks for the info!  Not sure why I had the impression that they recorded their parts separately.  Maybe it just stemmed the general impression I had of TSO not really being a "band" in the traditional sense.  

Oh to be clear, they do record in studio but it is all done very piecemeal and separate, just not remotely.  particularly with how Paul liked to record. He would have each person in and record, very often dozens and dozens of takes.  The musician or singer leaves and then he would often spend hours editing and finding phrases or syllables that he would keep and insert into a song. Or not use them at all. It is what worked for him.
(02-05-2021, 11:03 AM)danfromnj Wrote: TSO are once again booking theaters for their 2021 winter tour.  Though last year’s third band for theaters ultimately fell apart, this appears to be in place of an arena tour.  More news to come...

I appreciate the heads up. Will be cool to see TSO in theaters again . I enjoyed the BLN tours. I wonder if it will be more like the livestream show set up with no strings. Is this going to be one band or more than one?
(02-18-2021, 02:13 AM)MikeNY Wrote: I appreciate the heads up.  Will be cool to see TSO in theaters again .  I enjoyed the BLN tours.  I wonder if it will be more like the livestream show set up with no strings.  Is this going to be one band or more than one?

Definitely more than one band, from what I understand. TSO themselves may not know until all the dates are booked, but the plan I hear is this is for running out two bands at least.
Definitely looking forward to their tour, whether they are in theaters or arenas. It’s been a while! Then maybe a Savatage tour?
Looks like they are going to try an arena tour after all.
(06-13-2021, 12:12 AM)danfromnj Wrote: Looks like they are going to try an arena tour after all.
Stanley Cup playoffs going on in US arenas, don't see why TSO would not tour this season. 17,000 plus a game at PNC in Raleigh, NC for the Hurricanes series...we'll see though if a "new variant of the virus" emerges and they begin to shut things back down and try to go to mail in voting for the 2022 elections. Not prophecy, but we all have seen the deception and lies. Hoping for the tour but surely will not be surprised if they kill it.
(06-13-2021, 12:43 AM)TheBigTBone Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 12:12 AM)danfromnj Wrote: Looks like they are going to try an arena tour after all.
Stanley Cup playoffs going on in US arenas, don't see why TSO would not tour this season. 17,000 plus a game at PNC in Raleigh, NC for the Hurricanes series...we'll see though if a "new variant of the virus" emerges and they begin to shut things back down and try to go to mail in voting for the 2022 elections. Not prophecy, but we all have seen the deception and lies. Hoping for the tour but surely will not be surprised if they kill it.

The NHL is not counting on 66 full arenas.

This is still not without its risks. Over the last ten days, almost a dozen concerts have had their shows cancelled because the arenas are having trouble staffing them. And attendance is still a concern for both social distancing and public confidence reasons. And of course if a governor decides that they are seeing a spike and shuts down their state, the shows in that state could be at risk. All that being said, it seems TSO is moving forward with an arena tour and cancelling their booked theater dates.