Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R.I.P. David Z
It truly is such a sad day to learn of Dave's death. Dave was so about the music. No drama, no hassles. Just the music. I had the pleasure of getting to know him and back in November of 2013 he sat for an interview for my series of TSO interviews. He knew of my interviews and was thrilled that I asked. We met before a Rubix Kube show in New York City and found a dressing room to hang for a couple hours.  We chatted about TSO of course, as well as Rubix Kube, his work with his brother in ZO2 and other bands that he was involved in. As I wrote in the introduction, Bassist David Z is full of energy. Whether it is playing bass in a tux while touring with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, shirtless at one of his ZO2 shows, dressed in bright '80s garb with Rubix Kube, or simply sitting across the table from me in a club dressing room, David is indefatigable. As he himself says, he is "always on ten". And for those lucky enough to work with him or catch him in concert, his spirited personality and enthusiasm for life and music are contagious

We also talked about his recorded work with TSO. As many may know, Paul worked a bit unconventionally in the studio, often chopping up bits of recorded music and even vocal syllables to fit in where he thought best. As a result, it is hard for most TSO performers to tell you which song you can hear them playing on. But there is one in particular that David was so proud of - it was just he and Al playing.  As Dave told it: "The only song that I know I am on for sure - and I am very proud of this song - is "Christmas Jazz". That was just me and Al Pitrelli together. That one was so much fun and it stands out more to me because it's just the two of us - there are no vocals or other instruments - it's just guitar and bass. I am very proud of that one and Al is the consummate professional and such an amazing musician. It was a pleasure and an honor to be able to play a tune with just him and me. He is such a great person to work with in the studio as well. Paul O'Neill was trying to get us into that vibe where "you guys are two old timers who have been coming into this bar and you're old buddies and just playing this thing together".

I'm sure many TSO fans will remember his dance moves, his biceps, his fun on stage with Chris Caffery, or his charming personality in the signing line. I think this is a great way for us TSO fans to remember him - listen to his wonderful bass playing on this 2-minute piece of music and think of the joy he had creating this.

Messages In This Thread
R.I.P. David Z - by danfromnj - 07-15-2017, 11:20 AM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by DarkMacek - 07-15-2017, 11:57 AM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by sundance7490 - 07-15-2017, 12:27 PM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by danfromnj - 07-15-2017, 01:05 PM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by wickfam - 07-16-2017, 01:03 AM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by Sabotage - 07-17-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by danfromnj - 07-18-2017, 02:00 AM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by danfromnj - 01-01-2018, 07:44 AM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by KISSAlien - 01-02-2018, 03:45 AM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by wickfam - 01-04-2018, 12:22 AM
RE: R.I.P. David Z - by danfromnj - 01-11-2020, 04:43 AM