Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Steinman influence on Paul O'Neill?
I have rekindled my love affair with Meatloaf and I can't help to notice the similarity in some of his songs and TSO/Savatage. 

Did Paul O'Neill or Jon Oliva ever have any type of relationship with Jim Steinman, who was the main song writer for Meatloaf?  As I understand it, Meat and Jim had an on again/off again relationship but they both needed each other to be successful.  Solo albums from either guy were duds but when they got together they made magic...
No takers on this one?  They even had a similar look...

[Image: nevljim3.jpg] [Image: oneill.jpg?w=452&h=441]
(01-24-2019, 12:05 AM)admin Wrote: No takers on this one?  They even had a similar look...

[Image: nevljim3.jpg] [Image: oneill.jpg?w=452&h=441]
Maybe on the theatrical aspect of Jim's work on BOH, but Jim was clean shaven and I really don't hear it in TSO/Savatage music...progressive yes, but two totally different styles...and it took Jim a really long time to get an album completed like Paul.
(01-13-2019, 03:50 PM)admin Wrote: I have rekindled my love affair with Meatloaf and I can't help to notice the similarity in some of his songs and TSO/Savatage. 

Did Paul O'Neill or Jon Oliva ever have any type of relationship with Jim Steinman, who was the main song writer for Meatloaf?  As I understand it, Meat and Jim had an on again/off again relationship but they both needed each other to be successful.  Solo albums from either guy were duds but when they got together they made magic...

I don’t believe there was ever any kind of relationship between Steinman and O’Neill/Oliva. I believe I have seen comments from Paul referring to Steinman as a genius though.  And several performers have worked for both Steinman and O’Neill (Patti Russo, Rob Evan, Alex Skolnick, Adrienne Warren).  I definitely hear a similarity in each other’s work though with the overly-dramatic and theatrical songs.   Not sure if Paul was influenced by him but musically much of their work treads similar territory imho.  I used to be part of a Meat Loaf/Steinman forum and the “Jim Steinman Knock-off” comments about Paul came up on occasion.
More similarities:
  • They recycle lyrics
  • Most people "didn't get" their major project but then they had the last laugh when they were so successful
  • Savatage: "I wasted my time 'til time wasted me" vs. Steinman: "You were only killing time and it will kill you right back"