Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Album Coming?
Billboard did a story on them this week and interviewed a few of the performers and the guys (Elliot Saltzman, Adam Lind and Kenny Kaplan) who run the Show.

This is an excerpt:

For Trans-Siberian Orchestra to remain relevant to future generations, new music will almost certainly have to be composed for coming tours. Conceivably Oliva and Pitrelli, who were there at the beginning, could carry the torch at least part of the way, and Saltzman, Lind and Kaplan say are always thinking ahead -- but right now, they have a tour to do. “That kind of decision comes a little later," says Kaplan. "We get through this one, then we look at how this played out, what we liked about it, how it will change, what we learned along the way."
I just saw the performance in Colorado Springs on 11/17/19.  I heard songs (and parts of songs) that I've never heard in previous TSO shows:  Handfull of Rain, a portion of Underture (I think) from Wake of Magellan, Believe and one or two others from Savatage.  I have heard Believe in a previous show, I think.
(11-19-2019, 03:38 AM)SkyDiver Wrote: I just saw the performance in Colorado Springs on 11/17/19.  I heard songs (and parts of songs) that I've never heard in previous TSO shows:  Handfull of Rain, a portion of Underture (I think) from Wake of Magellan, Believe and one or two others from Savatage.  I have heard Believe in a previous show, I think.

I think what you heard was "The Storm" which leads into "The Mountain". "Handful of Rain" is new this year, it replaces last year's Savatage classic "Chance". "Chance" was previously done on the Beethoven tours. And finally you are correct "Believe" has also been previously performed on TSO tours.
"The Storm" is one of my favorite Pitrelli-era Savatage songs.  I look forward to seeing it live.  Do they dare mention the evil name Savatage on stage this year?
(11-20-2019, 05:55 AM)admin Wrote: "The Storm" is one of my favorite Pitrelli-era Savatage songs.  I look forward to seeing it live.  Do they dare mention the evil name Savatage on stage this year?

The East has been, and continues to do so this year. This does not mean that they are planning anything Savatage related. Oliva has been pretty clear that Savatage and JOP are in the past.
(11-19-2019, 11:32 AM)KISSAlien Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 03:38 AM)SkyDiver Wrote: I just saw the performance in Colorado Springs on 11/17/19.  I heard songs (and parts of songs) that I've never heard in previous TSO shows:  Handfull of Rain, a portion of Underture (I think) from Wake of Magellan, Believe and one or two others from Savatage.  I have heard Believe in a previous show, I think.

I think what you heard was "The Storm" which leads into "The Mountain". "Handful of Rain" is new this year, it replaces last year's Savatage classic "Chance". "Chance" was previously done on the Beethoven tours. And finally you are correct "Believe" has also been previously performed on TSO tours.

"Handful of Rain" was performed on the 2012 Beethoven tour.
(12-05-2019, 08:33 AM)tmcfaddin Wrote:

Yes it was performed a couple of time, but 90% of the time they did "Chance".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf8ZzTkG8-o
(12-06-2019, 02:29 AM)KISSAlien Wrote:

"Handful of Rain" was performed during the entire 2012 Beethoven tour. That's more than a couple of times. 
(11-15-2019, 11:59 PM)Mangar Wrote: A new album would be a nice treat, though I'm not counting on it.  And I don't mean any disrespect, but in a way, I think a new album without Paul at the helm would be refreshing.  For me, NC and LFTL both felt a bit soulless, as if Paul was working from a formula (oh sure, the over-the-top theatrics were there, but it felt hollow to me, compared to the previous albums.)  With Al or Jon possibly taking a more active role in putting a new album together, we might end up with something that takes TSO forward or, at the very least, feels a bit more heartfelt and a bit less mechanical.  Of course, I'm sure a new album would have a ton of Paul's influence, and it should, but adding a fresh perspective could help.  

I also really wish they'd take the Nightwish approach and work with a real symphony.  For a band that calls itself Trans-Siberian Orchestra, their "orchestra" often sounds remarkably like a keyboard synth, especially on LFTL.
Would it really be a new album/cd? I see it as just putting together Savatage songs from previous albums/cds and putting them out under the TSO name, but nothing really new, just a mix of old songs grouped as a new album/cd.
(12-10-2019, 11:31 PM)tmcfaddin Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 02:29 AM)KISSAlien Wrote:

"Handful of Rain" was performed during the entire 2012 Beethoven tour. That's more than a couple of times. 

According to setlist.fm there were 52 shows on the tour. Not all have setlists listed. Chance was played 43 times. HOR was played 6 times.