Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSO in 2020
(12-19-2020, 01:15 PM)danfromnj Wrote: My initial thoughts:
  • The buffering and picture quality drop-offs were numerous and disappointing.  I had lots of fans chatting with me during the presentation and it seems the freezes and such happened at different times for everyone.
  • The violin was clearly very low or not in the mix.  As usual.  I assume for the "cello intro" to Sarajevo that focused on Asha playing a violin instead, they either played that on the keys like they do with the flute part, or they used a pedal to drop the violin feed down an octave.  They used to let the cellist play it for real back in the day - shame that they got rid of this when the whole intro focuses on the "single cello".
  • Apart from the lack of violin, I thought it sounded INCREDIBLE. 
  • I liked the sparse spacing that they used - thought it was tasteful.  I really appreciated the lack of the carnival-like atmosphere that it has become. Really focused on the band and the music again.
  • No dancing!  Big Grin
  • Took a while to get used to no one tearing around the stage.  I don't care either way about that, but it just took me a bit to get used to it.
  • The amount of "Executive Producers" and "Producers" listed in the credits was more than the band on stage. lol
  • I suppose the West audiences are used to it, but Al's way-over-the-top motions to the band for cues and such is just ridiculous and unnecessary.  We get it, Al - YOU are in charge.  lol
  • The Wizards in Winter performance seemed kinda tacked on at the end, but good to hear it.
  • There were full-stop go-to-black breaks between every song, which i am sure made it easier for them to edit and make sure they used the best take of each song
  • Never once did Bryan or the band look at the camera - clearly they were instructed not to, but I thought that made it seem kinda off.  I know it was supposed to simulate a concert and them playing to a non-existent audience, but I thought it would have made some sense for at least Bryan to look at the camera at times.

Is it just me or was Bryan's voice waaaaay less badass?
(12-19-2020, 12:59 PM)SammyGIII Wrote: Is it me, or does it feel like they may have over-hyped the show?

It was not you.
For anyone that’s interested, it’s up on the site for viewing. MUCH MUCH better quality than I got the first time, also two songs in and zero buffering. Also loved hearing a clean version of promises to keep. The live version will alway be my favorite.
(12-19-2020, 12:38 PM)DarkMacek Wrote: I had a lot of drop outs (with a gigabit connection, mind you) and missed almost all of This Christmas Day and An Angel Returned - anyone know how replays work?
When I watched with my family, we didn’t have any issues other than in the pre-show where they showed the live version of “The Mountain” it was like 360p
You know what though? I still appreciate their efforts to bring something to the table this year. Even if they did overhype the performance. I was hoping for a new album to come out this year too, but I mean it’s 2020. So if this is the best they can do, than this is the best that they can do. Props to them, they did what they could.
I thought Chloe was her usual outstanding self, but the castle image behind (around?) her didnt work as well.

[Image: Mnxw1ia.png]

That came off kinda weird, IMHO.
(12-19-2020, 03:38 PM)danfromnj Wrote: I thought Chloe was her usual outstanding self, but the castle image behind (around?) her didnt work as well.

I didn't know they were doing Ghosts of Christmas Eve this year. ;-)
(12-19-2020, 03:38 PM)danfromnj Wrote: I thought Chloe was her usual outstanding self, but the castle image behind (around?) her didnt work as well.

After the show I was wondering why Georgia was even there. She had such a minuscule part, that for me it would have been a total waste of my time. Maybe they had planned on CCR being in the show and decided to pull it during the final edit. The west's violin player Asha resembles Anna Pheobe (the vixen of the violin) and has the same energy and moves and it was a great choice to have her there than Roddy. The buffering issues were few and all that happened was the screen froze and then started right back at where it froze. Probably a lot of people watched this and they were not prepared to handle it. Great show and hoping I will be seeing them live in Raleigh, NC in 2021. Merry Christmas!
A pretty fair review of the show:

https://www.rep-am.com/life-arts/music/2...d-concert/
Also, they should really release this in some format. I've long wanted a TsO live album - I think Promises to Keep's live version is incredible and they generally sound much less sterile live than on the album.