Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East vs West
I am a long time East fan and watch as many West videos as I can. For some time now and now I am sure TSO West has the better musicians and TSO East has the better singers up to now. This does not mean the other band members or singers aren't good of course not or else they wouldn't be in TSO but Al and Vitalij are in a class by themselves supported VERY well and perhaps more professionally by the other West band members while Rob and Georgia bring a certain elegance supported VERY well with elegance by the other East singers.  This is my opinion only and not meant to be demanded of by anyone else or to slight the other band members East or West.
(01-07-2017, 02:47 AM)TSOd Wrote: I am a long time East fan and watch as many West videos as I can. For some time now and now I am sure TSO West has the better musicians and TSO East has the better singers up to now. This does not mean the other band members or singers aren't good of course not or else they wouldn't be in TSO but Al and Vitalij are in a class by themselves supported VERY well and perhaps more professionally by the other West band members while Rob and Georgia bring a certain elegance supported VERY well with elegance by the other East singers.  This is my opinion only and not meant to be demanded of by anyone else or to slight the other band members East or West.

Don't hate me, any of you haha. I just have my opinion.

I have to say this much about what the east and west coast bands have been and what they've become. As far as now is concerned, I love the singers on both sides. But I feel like the singers are more of "stars" of the show on the East. Especially with Rob Evan, Kayla Reeves, Robin Borneman and Russell Allen who are beloved by all. I would give anything to see Allen perform, though. The singers on this end, even the sort of rock star of the group with Jeff Scott Soto, seem to blend in together. But the west still has a stellar group.

Now as far as the bands are concerned, I have to admit I prefer the west coast. Because under Al Pitrelli's direction they're still a rock band. Comparing the sounds, the west just has a grungier/grittier and all around more metal sound. Under the scrutiny of Paul O'Neill (who has always been more hard on east) the sound is so perfect it almost sounds fake to me. But I know for a fact they're not faking it. But it still all sounds too pretty for my taste. The band itself looks and sounds more like a Broadway show. It's more showy and so are the performers. That's why I prefer the west because the only one I feel who ever shows off or goes crazy to get the audience going is Angus Clark. The others are pretty low key and mellow. And instruments are allowed to breathe. I hear the subtleties in the playing.

But going back to what it used to be, I would've died to see the east band around 2007-2008 when Alex Skolnick, Mark Wood, Chris Altenhoff, Bob Kinkel and Anna Phoebe were around. The bands were virtually the same. They both sounded like rock bands, there was no major difference between east and west except for the incredible performers and who you wanted to see do what. Had the two combined to one at any given point, it would've been the most incredible experience on the planet. The sounds of the bands were amazing back then. Now I feel there really is a difference between the two, performance and sound related. Personal preference tells you which one you like best.
(01-08-2017, 09:25 PM)sundance7490 Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 02:47 AM)TSOd Wrote: I am a long time East fan and watch as many West videos as I can. For some time now and now I am sure TSO West has the better musicians and TSO East has the better singers up to now. This does not mean the other band members or singers aren't good of course not or else they wouldn't be in TSO but Al and Vitalij are in a class by themselves supported VERY well and perhaps more professionally by the other West band members while Rob and Georgia bring a certain elegance supported VERY well with elegance by the other East singers.  This is my opinion only and not meant to be demanded of by anyone else or to slight the other band members East or West.

Don't hate me, any of you haha. I just have my opinion.

I have to say this much about what the east and west coast bands have been and what they've become. As far as now is concerned, I love the singers on both sides. But I feel like the singers are more of "stars" of the show on the East. Especially with Rob Evan, Kayla Reeves, Robin Borneman and Russell Allen who are beloved by all. I would give anything to see Allen perform, though. The singers on this end, even the sort of rock star of the group with Jeff Scott Soto, seem to blend in together. But the west still has a stellar group.

Now as far as the bands are concerned, I have to admit I prefer the west coast. Because under Al Pitrelli's direction they're still a rock band. Comparing the sounds, the west just has a grungier/grittier and all around more metal sound. Under the scrutiny of Paul O'Neill (who has always been more hard on east) the sound is so perfect it almost sounds fake to me. But I know for a fact they're not faking it. But it still all sounds too pretty for my taste. The band itself looks and sounds more like a Broadway show. It's more showy and so are the performers. That's why I prefer the west because the only one I feel who ever shows off or goes crazy to get the audience going is Angus Clark. The others are pretty low key and mellow. And instruments are allowed to breathe. I hear the subtleties in the playing.

But going back to what it used to be, I would've died to see the east band around 2007-2008 when Alex Skolnick, Mark Wood, Chris Altenhoff, Bob Kinkel and Anna Phoebe were around. The bands were virtually the same. They both sounded like rock bands, there was no major difference between east and west except for the incredible performers and who you wanted to see do what. Had the two combined to one at any given point, it would've been the most incredible experience on the planet. The sounds of the bands were amazing back then. Now I feel there really is a difference between the two, performance and sound related. Personal preference tells you which one you like best.
Even though I stand by my comment I have no problem with everything you say; fair assessments of both bands and singers present and past. A friend and I both noticed how it seemed that Chris and Joel were sounding a lot like Al this year with the moaning wailing squealing guitars. I have no problem with the "perfect" "too pretty" sound you think the East has though. I think Paul needs to bring Bob K back into the production team. I came on board in 2007 when Alex Mark Anna Chris A were their and as I look back now I miss their professionalism and pure rock approach unlike what the East has become with posing, jumping and running around which I think Paul has a lot to do with even though I have no problems with the changes in members the East went through over the years. I would love to see West but it would be a major ordeal. I did see some of the West Al Vitalij JLM with BLN and they were terrific.
They're different, and it depends on what you like.

I haven't heard anyone on either flight deck that didn't sound great to me. I think the East musicians have more fun on stage. That's the personality of Chris, David and Roddy, primarily. Being in the first few rows, I enjoy this.

There's some of that between Angus and Asha for the West band, but not as much.

If you have the chance to see both, I encourage you to do so.
(01-10-2017, 04:45 AM)69RoadRunner Wrote: They're different, and it depends on what you like.

I haven't heard anyone on either flight deck that didn't sound great to me.  I think the East musicians have more fun on stage.  That's the personality of Chris, David and Roddy, primarily.  Being in the first few rows, I enjoy this.

There's some of that between Angus and Asha for the West band, but not as much.

If you have the chance to see both, I encourage you to do so.

I totally agree. Going to see West would be a very expensive time consuming effort that for me to see East in a few cites even doesn't entail. I did see some of the West Al Vitalij JLM with BLN and they were awesome. I will have to live with watching West videos especially Al >THE MAN< and photos of The Maestro Vitalij in action.