Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joel Coming Back?
..........Read that Joel is coming back to East........I really love his playing......Just not a fan of all the Rock Star posing...Alex who is in my humble opinion  the best that ever played with TSO, just never needed to strut around and pose every 5 seconds........It was really nice to have Bill last year as he just played his ass off..............
Joel seems to be a little too much about being Joel. Bill just sinks into the music and plays.
Tried to get to the interview where he said he's coming back but my virus detection goes bonkers on that site... So, is it official he's coming back to East or ???? I really enjoyed Bill Hudson's performing on East last year.... I'd like to see what he'd do with a 2nd year.
(08-23-2016, 07:41 AM)wickfam Wrote: Tried to get to the interview where he said he's coming back but my virus detection goes bonkers on that site... So, is it official he's coming back to East or ???? I really enjoyed Bill Hudson's performing on East last year.... I'd like to see what he'd do with a 2nd year.

I don't think there is anything official that has been released. It could still be Bill. It could still be Joel. However, in a recent interview of Joel he said he "hopes" to do the Winter Tour. I would imagine Bill would be odd man out if that happens. In fact, after Joel left rumor had it that he had "carte blanche" to return when he wanted and that he was "highly" thought of by Paul and company. So highly thought of that he is almost a second music director to Derek on the east.
(08-23-2016, 07:12 AM)NancyL Wrote: Joel seems to be a little too much about being Joel.  Bill just sinks into the music and plays.

Just curious... how is it that he is just about being Joel? Not picking an argument, just would like a little expansion on that.
Joel does indeed have a particularly exaggerated style of showmanship when he performs that I can do without. He certainly is a fine guitarist though - and a real nice guy - I'm just not a fan of all of the hammy poses.
(08-23-2016, 02:11 PM)danfromnj Wrote: Joel does indeed have a particularly exaggerated style of showmanship when he performs that I can do without.  He certainly is a fine guitarist though - and a real nice guy -  I'm just not a fan of all of the hammy poses.

I can't lie to you guys, I feel like so many on the East got hammy after Mark Wood and Alex Skolnick and even Bob Kinkel left the group. Those three could just stand there and get cheers. David Z, Joel, Roddy Chong and Chris really overdo it. Mee Eun and Derek Weiland are pretty laid back though. And Billy Hudson was a great return to that laid back kind of style and really seemed to care about just making the music sound good instead of all the showmanship. He almost felt like he didn't fit in only because he didn't go over the top on stage. He really reminded me a lot of Alex.
(08-23-2016, 04:01 PM)sundance7490 Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 02:11 PM)danfromnj Wrote: Joel does indeed have a particularly exaggerated style of showmanship when he performs that I can do without.  He certainly is a fine guitarist though - and a real nice guy -  I'm just not a fan of all of the hammy poses.

I can't lie to you guys, I feel like so many on the East got hammy after Mark Wood and Alex Skolnick and even Bob Kinkel left the group. Those three could just stand there and get cheers. David Z, Joel, Roddy Chong and Chris really overdo it. Mee Eun and Derek Weiland are pretty laid back though. And Billy Hudson was a great return to that laid back kind of style and really seemed to care about just making the music sound good instead of all the showmanship. He almost felt like he didn't fit in only because he didn't go over the top on stage. He really reminded me a lot of Alex.

Like I have said, it's all personal preference. Some like a lot more "flair" and "showmanship". Some don't and that's cool too. As for Joel, he is a great guitar player to boot. Me? I grew up in the 80's going to arena rock shows, hair flipping, etc. So to me it is all part of the show. Now, the catch is, can you be a great guitar player and not have your craft compromised by all of the rock star poses and histrionics. Joel does that better than no other. Plus like Dan said, he's a super nice guy (as are most TSO members!)

Personally I think all of the guitar players are special East and West. I could sit there all day listening to Al Pitrelli's mind melting solos without all of the flair. I truly miss Alex and his style of playing. Chris's playing goes without saying. Then there is Angus, to me the most underrated hero of all of TSO. An amazing player and to me the perfect balance of playing and showmanship around. The guy really doesn't get enough credit.
Well looks like it's official now. Joel just posted something to Facebook to the tune of "I'm so thrilled to be "coming home" again for the holidays and to be back with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra for this upcoming Ghosts of Christmas Eve Tour! ‪#‎TSO‬ ‪#‎tsotime".

Don't get me wrong. I actually get a kick out of his showmanship & hammy poses & there's no denying that he's an amazing guitarist. I'd just have liked to have seen what Bill might have done after getting a year under his belt with TSO.
There are only 2 East guitar slots. I like all 3 of the guys from the past 2 years. If Joel had other plans and Bill was back, that would have been great. I like Bill.

I also like Joel. He's a great guitarist and a true professional. I got to chat briefly after a Whitesnake show. What was even cooler was on my way home, I stopped for gas and saw he'd sent me a thank you message for coming out. Very cool.

I wish Bill nothing but the best. I assume he's probably being paid to be a part of the "backup band" Paul has instead of paying for cancellation insurance. Next time Circle II Circle comes to town, I'll definitely go see him.