Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joel Coming Back?
Yep, sounds like the backup band and ???something else??? as well...

Bill just posted this on Facebook: "
�#�TSO� season has been announced and I've been flooded with questions as to which lineup I'll be with, tour dates, etc.

My role is a bit different this season, and I will be working with them in the studio here in Florida. I will still be at rehearsals and very much involved with everything, but my good friend Joel Hoekstra will be handling guitar duties again for the East band.

I can't wait for all of you to hear the result of the work I'll be doing!
�#�TransSiberianOrchestra� �#�TSO2016�

Hmmmmmmmm.........
I've loved all of the East guitarists through the years. Initially, I was upset when Alex left, but Joel quickly won me over. TSO always brings in great musicians/vocalists. Through the years I've learned the embrace the changes and welcome new members. I love both Joel and Bill. Both are phenomenal players and their stage presences are completely different. I enjoy watching both of their stage presences to be honest. I would have loved a second year to see Bill with the band just becacse I've only seen him perform once. I've seen Joel every year he was with TSO and with Whitesnake this year. regardless, I'm excited to see that they're both involved with the band in some form this winter.
Question. I've heard of the backup band before but keep forgetting to ask what it is. And if Bill is in Florida... possibly recording for that new album that Paul O'Neill has had handcuffed to himself? The "baby"? lol (For those of you guys who read that article).
(08-24-2016, 05:40 AM)sundance7490 Wrote: Question. I've heard of the backup band before but keep forgetting to ask what it is.

The backup band is a collection of musicians that are rehearsed and ready to step in if one of the current performers had to leave the tour for any time. It used to include vocalists as well, but now they make sure that all of the touring vocalists can step in and sing each other's songs.

It has happened on occasion - backup violinist Alison Zlotow performed a show or two when Mark Wood had a death in the family, Mark Ambrosino filled in for Jeff Plate when his sister passed in 2003.
(08-23-2016, 02:11 PM)danfromnj Wrote: Joel does indeed have a particularly exaggerated style of showmanship when he performs that I can do without.  He certainly is a fine guitarist though - and a real nice guy -  I'm just not a fan of all of the hammy poses.

I could definitely do without some of the posing but I always remind myself when I'm ensconced in my fan club seats near the stage that they are playing in an arena so subtlety can be lost on the cheap seats.  Classic performer line is to "play to the audience members in the balcony". I totally forgive his posing simply because he's a freaking monster of a guitarist!

With Caffery (my fave) I feel bad for the people not down front because they miss all of his interaction with the fans in front. He's a riot to watch during the show! Big Grin
(08-28-2016, 08:19 PM)pickguru Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 02:11 PM)danfromnj Wrote: Joel does indeed have a particularly exaggerated style of showmanship when he performs that I can do without.  He certainly is a fine guitarist though - and a real nice guy -  I'm just not a fan of all of the hammy poses.

I could definitely do without some of the posing but I always remind myself when I'm ensconced in my fan club seats near the stage that they are playing in an arena so subtlety can be lost on the cheap seats.  Classic performer line is to "play to the audience members in the balcony". I totally forgive his posing simply because he's a freaking monster of a guitarist!

With Caffery (my fave) I feel bad for the people not down front because they miss all of his interaction with the fans in front. He's a riot to watch during the show! Big Grin

That's why I always say it's like two totally different concerts. You do miss a lot sitting in the back, but out of my 5 or 6 shows I catch each year I try to see one from there.
(08-28-2016, 08:57 PM)Kissguy1973 Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 08:19 PM)pickguru Wrote:

That's why I always say it's like two totally different concerts.  You do miss a lot sitting in the back, but out of my 5 or 6 shows I catch each year I try to see one from there.

Over the course of 17 years......I have saw it from the rafters..........I have saw it from the front row.....and every point in between..........."My" sweet spot is about 4 rows back to 8 rows back........I prefer to be as close to the center as I can get...... as I really do not like all the distractions of Chris for 2 and a half hours....I am there for the story and the music.......Besides, the center is where the music really heats up as the show heats up.......as a footnote.......several years back I sat in row 15 on the floor on Alex's side and it was a great place to see the "Stage Show" and the sound was over the top.......
(08-23-2016, 04:18 AM)Sarajevo Wrote: ..........Read that Joel is coming back to East........I really love his playing......Just not a fan of all the Rock Star posing...Alex who is in my humble opinion  the best that ever played with TSO, just never needed to strut around and pose every 5 seconds........It was really nice to have Bill last year as he just played his ass off..............

I agree 100%. And Bill just added a touch of weirdness to the whole show.
(08-23-2016, 04:18 AM)Sarajevo Wrote: ..........Read that Joel is coming back to East........I really love his playing......Just not a fan of all the Rock Star posing...Alex who is in my humble opinion  the best that ever played with TSO, just never needed to strut around and pose every 5 seconds........It was really nice to have Bill last year as he just played his ass off..............

I think Bill got kicked to the side of the road this year and wasn't fair to him. Joel left in 2015 for greener pastures with Whitesnake then when that gig was ending he needed work so runs to Paul who takes him back in mid October sending Bill to the backup band and studio work. lol Bill was in the initial promo video then that was changed to put Joel in. But Bill will be back next year when I think TSO abandons the Christmas theme going with a more metal show with generic Christmas music like Wacken. That is why Zak Stevens is on board too. Bill is metal while Joel is not. The rock star poses are here to stay-they don't bother me that much as Roddy's running around and jumping around.
(09-02-2016, 12:59 AM)nosferatu Wrote:

I agree 100%.  And Bill just added a touch of weirdness to the whole show.

in all fairness Dave and Roddy do their fair share of posing too,  so did Bill, Asha and Angus do that quite a bit too