Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some suggested improvements for TSO
I''ve enjoyed TSO and going to their shows for almost 20 years now, so have seen the many iterations of the band at least on the Westies tour. So I'd like to offer a few
suggestions as to how to improve the overall show. Note at least one of my suggestions will be rather controversial. The first is I wish they would stop using Time code for what seems every second of every song. Its really taken away any of the spontaneity in the shows. Let's get back to where the musicians had the chance to improvise if they feel like it during a song. Next stop hiring all these new young people.  While most of them are talented let's cut the BS and be honest that the real reason they get hired is that they tend to take a much lower salary than those who are established with the band. Also the entire TSO organization needs to stop dropping shows  from various towns, for whatever reasons. Finally to me it seems that there is a certain member of the band on the westies who holds way too much power and plays politics way to much its time for them to go. Tired of hearing that someone goes to management because they don't like this or or that and either get's that thing stopped or for whatever reason the other member isn't back on the tour the next year.  For example Bart Soto going out and being Gerald before the show, even though he was actually raising money to purchase gifts that would be given out a a local hospital.
(08-30-2022, 06:28 AM)bobm27 Wrote: The first is I wish they would stop using Time code for what seems every second of every song. Its really taken away any of the spontaneity in the shows. Let's get back to where the musicians had the chance to improvise if they feel like it during a song.

That simply is not going to happen. The star of the Show is the production and effects and they have taken them to the level where the musicians and singers simply have to be all synched to the production, rather than the other way around.

(08-30-2022, 06:28 AM)bobm27 Wrote: Next stop hiring all these new young people.  While most of them are talented let's cut the BS and be honest that the real reason they get hired is that they tend to take a much lower salary than those who are established with the band.

To be fair, there hasn't been a ton of hiring as of late they way there used to be.  But yes, newer performers are cheaper, and more likely to follow direction. TSO is a business.

(08-30-2022, 06:28 AM)bobm27 Wrote: Also the entire TSO organization needs to stop dropping shows  from various towns, for whatever reasons.

Again TSO is a business. Lots goes in to picking the cities/venues that a tour plays. Routing is a huge factor. Busses, their fuel and their drivers are a big expense and it makes sense to route the tour in the most economical way possible. Also, TSO has outgrown some older venues because they cant support the level of production that they now cart around. And quite simply, some venues are not as profitable to play in and if they have another option where more money can be made, they will go there.  Yes, tons of cities that they used to play in when they were "growing up", so to speak, are no longer on the route and those fans have been left.  I totally get that.  But I don't think anyone is sitting back in the office deciding on "dropping cities" for any reasons other than business.

(08-30-2022, 06:28 AM)bobm27 Wrote: Finally to me it seems that there is a certain member of the band on the westies who holds way too much power and plays politics way to much its time for them to go. Tired of hearing that someone goes to management because they don't like this or or that and either get's that thing stopped or for whatever reason the other member isn't back on the tour the next year.

There are performers in each cast who feel they have a certain level of "power" or influence. Egos among coworkers can be challenging to deal with.

You clearly are a long-time fan who seems to recall and treasure the days when the performers helped sell the show (before it was The Show) and had some latitude to use their talents in a less directed fashion.  My guess is that you saw the West casts, who were not quite as rigid and didn't always have Paul in the wings to make sure every last cue and direction was followed - the show was allowed to breathe a bit more.  While I appreciate your "improvements", it is more of a "lets get it back to the way it used to be" list (which I appreciate for sure), but none of it is going to happen.