Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This year's tour
I know this is anathema to TSO fans everywhere but for some reason, I'm not feeling the magic this year. Not sure what it is. Of course I'm psyched for the show tomorrow afternoon and night at Hershey but something is missing for me.

Keep trying to pin point it but nothing seems serious enough. Maybe it's the personnel changes all the time, maybe it's the number of shows I've been to (not even close to the count of a lot of people) but still quite a few, I've NEVER been this dedicated to not missing a band's show if it's close by enough.

It's just kind of a bummer.
I have not gone to a show in a couple of years because they are not playing in Long Island or NYC.

In the early days, I would really look forward to it and turn other people on to the group. It was always a lot of fun to see a first timer get blown away by the music and show.

For us old pros who have seen it so many times, we can do our taxes and take a nap. It is just no longer as exciting. But take someone new and they will likely appreciate the spectacle.
(12-16-2016, 12:07 AM)nosferatu Wrote: I know this is anathema to TSO fans everywhere but for some reason, I'm not feeling the magic this year.  Not sure what it is.  Of course I'm psyched for the show tomorrow afternoon and night at Hershey but something is missing for me.

Keep trying to pin point it but nothing seems serious enough.  Maybe it's the personnel changes all the time, maybe it's the number of shows I've been to (not even close to the count of a lot of people) but still quite a few, I've NEVER been this dedicated to not missing a band's show if it's close by enough.

And I know this is horrible, but I kinda miss the anger and bitchin' and fights and name calling and great reviews and interesting ideas on the old fan site.

I know I'm really sick and tired of photo's of Dave and Joel on Facebook (it was interesting and funny initially, now it's just irritating), I only do the winter tour page once in a great while because it gets so old.
I have to whole heartedly agree with you nosferatu. I'm a firm believer it's the "Ghosts" tour that's doing that. Last year it was pretty cool. It wasn't a bad show at all and was neat to see yet another change after having switched from TLCE to Attic and then to Ghosts. Once was okay for a sort of throwaway year... twice... HORRIBLE. And on the 20th anniversary?! BUT the big issue here is that we have a jumble of disconnected songs that have nothing to do with each other. The magic of TSO comes from the stories that are told. O'Neill, Oliva and Kinkel really took great care to make sure the songs in the Christmas Trilogy actually told a coherent story. Ghosts feels like someone swallowed up the trilogy and threw it up on the stage. It feels like a mess.

PLUS the stage didn't even change this year! It's exactly as it was last year. I got excited every year to see what it was going to look like the next year. Unless they're trying to save money in order to go on tour with Night Castle like I've been wanting, then they are getting VERY lazy.
(12-17-2016, 08:10 AM)sundance7490 Wrote: I have to whole heartedly agree with you nosferatu. I'm a firm believer it's the "Ghosts" tour that's doing that. Last year it was pretty cool. It wasn't a bad show at all and was neat to see yet another change after having sweet from TLCE to Attic and then to Ghosts. BUT the big issue here is that we have a jumble of disconnected songs that have nothing to do with each other. The magic of TSO comes from the stories that are told. O'Neill, Oliva and Kinkel really took great care to make sure the songs in the Christmas Trilogy actually told a coherent story. Ghosts feels like someone swallowed up the trilogy and threw it up on the stage. It feels like a mess.

PLUS the stage didn't even change this year! It's exactly as it was last year. I got excited every year to see what it was going to look like the next year. Unless they're trying to save money in order to go on tour with Night Castle like I've been wanting, then they are getting VERY lazy.

I gotta say, this year I was wrong. I thought it was an excellent show, musically and visually. I would've liked some more story telling, not sure a lot of the people got the whole story, at least the ones I was with.
But it did rekindle my faith in the show.

I won't ever do 2nd row again unless it's the center section. Even on the aisle for the matinee, it was too close. The evening i was in row 4 on Caffrey's side on the aisle and that was much better. I thought Lisa kicked ass on Music Box and Georgia sounded great even though she was sick. Natalya was perfect even though she apparently was sick too. I was glad to hear Kayla do Someday at the evening show, I just hated it when it first came out but I'm now a fan.

The 1st half in both shows just flew by for me, I mean it felt like 10 minutes. The matinee 2nd half seemed to drag a little, at least to me. The evening show flew by in no time, both halves. There was a slight change between afternoon and evening in set list.

All in all, I'm STILL a huge fan and will take whatever they throw out without much complaint. Had envelopes for Natalya and Georgia from Jay Murk but neither were in the signing line. Lisa most graciously stepped up, along with Robin and made sure they got to their intended person. That means a lot and is just more proof for me that this thing is SO MUCH more than just the stage presentation.
(12-17-2016, 08:10 AM)sundance7490 Wrote: BUT the big issue here is that we have a jumble of disconnected songs that have nothing to do with each other. The magic of TSO comes from the stories that are told. O'Neill, Oliva and Kinkel really took great care to make sure the songs in the Christmas Trilogy actually told a coherent story. Ghosts feels like someone swallowed up the trilogy and threw it up on the stage. It feels like a mess.

THIS!!!!!! This "story" is done so weakly that it's gotta be embarrassing for the narrators!!! They might as well just call it "TSO's Greatest Hits" and be done with it....
I thought it flowed better this year than last. But it's still not much of a story when compared to what came before. And yes, it should have just been "Greatest Hits" and been done with it.

I did take a couple new people this year so got to see them blown away since it was their first show.
(12-21-2016, 01:27 PM)NancyL Wrote: I thought it flowed better this year than last.  But it's still not much of a story when compared to what came before.  And yes, it should have just been "Greatest Hits" and been done with it.  

I did take a couple new people this year so got to see them blown away since it was their first show.

I do agree, the story didn't come across as well as it could have. Just thank god we didn't have the abandoned baby story this year and have to listen to all the whiny ass soccer mom types crying about how nasty the story was. Rolleyes
I agree with everything that was said. I also wasn't as excited as previous years for TSO. I saw them on December 4th. I think it was a combination of the fact that in the past few years they've come to Buffalo closer to Christmas and also the fact that they did Ghosts again. I personally don't care for the story line, it isn't as intricate as other story lines. I also was disappointed that I had a problem with pre-sale and I was hoping to hear CEAOS again. As usual, I was impressed with the show. Everyone was phenomenal. The stage had different lifts and the catwalk was kinda cool, they haven't done that in awhile. I don't care for the pyramid in the back, I think they should change that back to some type of lift. Since they did do the same story line, I wish they would have mixed up the vocalists a bit. They are a talented group and I would love to hear them on different songs! I also think that every vocalist should have at least 2 songs.
(12-16-2016, 12:07 AM)nosferatu Wrote: I know this is anathema to TSO fans everywhere but for some reason, I'm not feeling the magic this year.  Not sure what it is.  Of course I'm psyched for the show tomorrow afternoon and night at Hershey but something is missing for me.

Keep trying to pin point it but nothing seems serious enough.  Maybe it's the personnel changes all the time, maybe it's the number of shows I've been to (not even close to the count of a lot of people) but still quite a few, I've NEVER been this dedicated to not missing a band's show if it's close by enough.

Always psyched for the show 10 years running now and a must do.  Had problems last year getting tix and with the venue itself but enjoyed the show. Had GREAT seats this year and really looked forward to it as always.