Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guy LeMonnier talks TSO, Kings of Christmas, more in new interview
(02-10-2015, 12:27 PM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: I understand where Michael is coming from, but we have to remember... TSO has become more than a "Christmas" act since he has been in it.

It's not that different. Lanning's last year before they fired him was 2005, and they still played CEOAS in the first half, and the 2nd half consisted of 13 songs, including 1 cover and 5 Christmas songs. Today's TSO shows are shorter by 30 minutes and it's most recent 2nd half included 9 songs, including 4 Christmas songs. Also, since Lanning's last year, they have released one non-Christmas album and an EP that is Christmas-themed. And by TSO's own admission, they are a "Christmas Tradition". They are still pretty much a Christmas act at this point (with a whole slew of not-yet-released albums ready to change that).

(02-10-2015, 12:27 PM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: So why not the lasers, lights, and fire?

Because they weren't necessary to deliver a great show musically.

(02-10-2015, 12:27 PM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: I can only speak for myself, but those things ARE still secondary to the music and the performers.... for me at least.

They are definitely secondary to me as well - it's closer to a circus these days than a concert - but the performers know full well that the bells and whistles are the primary feature to the show - that is fact. You will never see one of those pre-tour PR interviews with Paul where he is talking about how excited he is to have a particular singer on board or "Wait till you hear this particular song!". It is all about the effects and how awesome they are. When the performers that helped build the show with their talent are gradually upstaged by helicopters, dragons, and fireworks, it is easy to see the over-the-top absurdity of it all. As Alex Skolnick stated "the majority of the show is about a lighting rig. It is a three hour show and there are times where you are playing and their are dancing girls, explosions and platforms rising. It is awesome. But sometimes when you play you want it to be about the music.".

And that is no offense to the performers - they still hire (and fire) some of the best talent around and that is the primary reason I still go.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guy LeMonnier talks TSO, Kings of Christmas, more in new interview - by danfromnj - 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM