Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul O'Neill's first band
Not much is out there on SlowBurn, the first band Paul was in as a performer. Pretty cool to see that the band's bassist at the time, Jeff Allegue, has released some audio on YouTube from a February, 1981 recording session (straight from cassette!)

Holy cow, it is really bizarre to hear the first part of the first verse having the exact same lyrics for The Ghosts of Christmas Eve from The Christmas Attic used here!! To think this was 17 years before that album. Paul really never let anything he deemed good go. That might explain why he brought back so many of the Savatage songs and re-recorded them as Trans-Siberian Orchestra (or a lack of originality... but I'm a glass is half-full kind of guy) . Slowburn has a great sound to it and I love the name. I wonder what else we might be able to see from Slowburn that could easily be seen as an influence for Paul later on?

One quick question though... what's a cassette? LOL just kidding Wink
Jeff Allegue sat in on bass for TSO at least once, during one of the early tours, so he and Paul must've been on good terms for some time.
(07-12-2017, 12:19 PM)sundance7490 Wrote: Holy cow, it is really bizarre to hear the first part of the first verse having the exact same lyrics for The Ghosts of Christmas Eve from The Christmas Attic used here!!

Wow, very weird indeed. The words are there but no "magic".
Another cool video - Jeff covers a song that was written and performed for SlowBurn:

Remembering my friend Paul O'Neill who left us on this day back in 2017. One of the closest and longest friendships I ever had,Paul was the creator of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and the impact he has had on millions of people is immeasurable. Here is a tune I've been playing since I was 17,it goes back to my early days in a band I was in with Paul called Slow Burn. Later it became a song that opened and closed every TSO show and still does to this day. Called "Silk & Steel" I'm playing it here with my pal and another notable Paul ...Paul Pesco. Paul goes back to those early days with me in NYC in the early 80's at SIR and all the studios around town when we were all scrambling to get somewhere in the business. Pesco went on to become one of the most sought after guitar players on the scene playing,recording and touring with everyone from Madonna and Annie Lennox to Jennifer Lopez, Hall & Oates and Stevie Winwood and everyone in between.