Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Def Leppard/Styx/Tesla Summer 2015
Well.... another summer... another "co-headline" tour. Last summer Kiss and Def Leppard toured on what actually turned out to be a really great show and pairing (opener Kobra and The Lotus were great as well). However, I still felt a bit cheated because of what I paid to get two abbreviated greatest hits sets. I get it, I understand, a lot of these bands can't sustain a successful large scale tour anymore on their own. Maybe it is time some of these bands start scaling down down their productions and play smaller venues? Take Def Leppard for instance. They don't have to hit the House of Blues circuit, but they are not selling out MSG or even coming close to selling it out anymore. There are smaller arenas they can play. I think it may also have to do with all of the shed shows they play during the summer. Live Nation guarantees, etc.

Not sure I am going to bite on this pairing though. I still think Lep is great but it is borderline painful to hear Joe Elliot sing these days. Styx I love even more. However, as good as Lawrence Gowan is, he is no Dennis DeYoung. To me... Styx aint Styx without Dennis. We gave them a shot back in 2003 and my wife and I left a few songs early. I saw Styx twice with Dennis and the vibe was just not the same with Lawrence. Tesla are intriguing because they are one of my top 5 bands that came out of the 80's. However, with them 3rd on the bill I am sure they won't get more than an hour.
I agree. I'd love to see Styxx again but no Dennis DeYoung, no.... Def Leppard I never saw before in concert and Tesla, I like them back in the day, na.. No DeYoung is the breaker for me. I won't go.

Back in the 90's you would get some great tours like Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Peter Frampton, trios like that and they were awesome! Yes I went to them. I met a woman at a concert who personally knew Kevin Cronin. I didn't believe her until we were in the m&g line and sure enough! Long time friends. She introduced me to him, he invited us to have dinner with them after the show. Security was tight and Kevin and the rest of the band explained that we (her but I was with her) were old friends. They grew up together, hell he was asking about her family, etc. I never stayed around long enough to do the dinner. I should have.

Some bands just can't do it on their own anymore. We are all entering our geriatric days lol, some sooner than others. If you are in Baltimore, some 'older' bands play at Pier Six. I have seen Earth Wind and Fire, Christopher Cross, Peter Frampton, Boston, Lynyrd Skynryd, etc there. If you are in Baltimore check to see who is playing at Pier Six Pavillion.
http://www.piersixpavilion.com/

If you can't get a ticket, just go to the Marriott and there is a walkway you can sit and listen to the concert and depending on where you sit you can get a good view. I am just saying.
(02-18-2015, 10:32 AM)jaybmorefan Wrote: I agree. I'd love to see Styxx again but no Dennis DeYoung, no.... Def Leppard I never saw before in concert and Tesla, I like them back in the day, na.. No DeYoung is the breaker for me. I won't go.

Back in the 90's you would get some great tours like Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Peter Frampton, trios like that and they were awesome! Yes I went to them. I met a woman at a concert who personally knew Kevin Cronin. I didn't believe her until we were in the m&g line and sure enough! Long time friends. She introduced me to him, he invited us to have dinner with them after the show. Security was tight and Kevin and the rest of the band explained that we (her but I was with her) were old friends. They grew up together, hell he was asking about her family, etc. I never stayed around long enough to do the dinner. I should have.

Some bands just can't do it on their own anymore. We are all entering our geriatric days lol, some sooner than others. If you are in Baltimore, some 'older' bands play at Pier Six. I have seen Earth Wind and Fire, Christopher Cross, Peter Frampton, Boston, Lynyrd Skynryd, etc there. If you are in Baltimore check to see who is playing at Pier Six Pavillion.
http://www.piersixpavilion.com/

If you can't get a ticket, just go to the Marriott and there is a walkway you can sit and listen to the concert and depending on where you sit you can get a good view. I am just saying.

I love going to see shows at those smaller open air venues. Or even the "State Fair" circuit now which a lot of classic acts play. You get a lot of the acts we all grew up with that can't even come close to filling an arena anymore.
Yeah, I don't like these tours because of the extremely short greatest hits set. Depending on where it is and who it is, I might go, but I'm passing on this one, and the main reason is the weekend they are in town, I'll be in Columbus, OH with the Mustang Club of America for Grand Nationals.
And Tesla will be back around later in the year I'm sure headlining. Styx I only go when they do something special, like the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight tour a few years back. Def Lep will probably do a headline at some point, so I'll wait for that.
(02-23-2015, 07:57 AM)Hawkeye Wrote: Yeah, I don't like these tours because of the extremely short greatest hits set.  Depending on where it is and who it is, I might go, but I'm passing on this one, and the main reason is the weekend they are in town, I'll be in Columbus, OH with the Mustang Club of America for Grand Nationals.
And Tesla will be back around later in the year I'm sure headlining.  Styx I only go when they do something special, like the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight tour a few years back.  Def Lep will probably do a headline at some point, so I'll wait for that.

I don't see Def Lep doing a proper headline tour again with the state of Joe's voice. Much like Kiss with Paul's voice. The 75 min hits set suits both of them better. Last summer's pairing was really good though. Even if they were shorter sets.

Maybe the Crue/Cooper show this summer. I vowed to never see Crue again after '06. Vince's voice was awful back then. I would go more for Alice but he is playing a really short set like when he was with Maiden a few years back. Now THAT was an awesome, yet odd pairing.
(02-24-2015, 09:12 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: I vowed to never see Crue again after '06. Vince's voice was awful back then. I would go more for Alice but he is playing a really short set like when he was with Maiden a few years back. Now THAT was an awesome, yet odd pairing.

eh...., vinces voice has always been fairly awful live! and cooper, as a support act... not cool. id rather see him in a smaller venue headlining.

thats what i dont get about these packagae deals. fans get excited to see them doing whatever they need to do to play bigger venues, but i would rather see these kinds of bands in a smaller venue, especially if it means the headline. nothing like a theater show!
(03-02-2015, 12:59 AM)Savage_Dreams Wrote:
(02-24-2015, 09:12 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: I vowed to never see Crue again after '06.  Vince's voice was awful back then.  I would go more for Alice but he is playing a really short set like when he was with Maiden a few years back.  Now THAT was an awesome, yet odd pairing.

eh...., vinces voice has always been fairly awful live! and cooper, as a support act... not cool. id rather see him in a smaller venue headlining.

thats what i dont get about these packagae deals. fans get excited to see them doing whatever they need to do to play bigger venues, but i would rather see these kinds of bands in a smaller venue, especially if it means the headline. nothing like a theater show!

Cooper definitely I would rather see in a theater setting 1 or 2,000 seaters. His show is more suited for that.

Again though... not a fan of the package/co-headline gigs. Been suspect of it since the Kiss/Aero tour in '03. Something like the Monsters of Rock Tour (VH, Scorps, Metallica,Dokken, Kinggdom Come) back in '88 ? That was killer. Even the Metallica/GNR stadium tour in '92 (BUT they each played FULL sets). None of this 75 minute greatest hits b.s.!
(03-02-2015, 10:53 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 12:59 AM)Savage_Dreams Wrote:
(02-24-2015, 09:12 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: I vowed to never see Crue again after '06.  Vince's voice was awful back then.  I would go more for Alice but he is playing a really short set like when he was with Maiden a few years back.  Now THAT was an awesome, yet odd pairing.

Cooper definitely I would rather see in a theater setting 1 or 2,000 seaters.  His show is more suited for that.

Again though... not a fan of the package/co-headline gigs.  Been suspect of it since the Kiss/Aero tour in '03.  Something like the Monsters of Rock Tour (VH, Scorps, Metallica,Dokken, Kinggdom Come) back in '88 ?  That was killer.  Even the Metallica/GNR stadium tour in '92 (BUT they each played FULL sets).  None of this 75 minute greatest hits b.s.!

So... I ended up pulling the trigger on the Lep/Styx/Tesla package. Mainly for my 10 y.o. son who proclaims Lep his favorite after TSO. Plus I have been into Styx lately even with Gowan who has grown on me over the years. Tesla being one of my fave bands in high school sealed the deal. Great package... at least that's what I am convincing myself for $125 a ticket to sit/stand in the sweltering Tampa heat!
Tesla never fails to put on a good show.

A lot of the singers are at less than full capacity with their voices these days, but there's just something about being there for a live show, that helps me overlook the less than stellar singing. I did recently see Judas Priest, and I have to say, Halford absolutely brought it. His voice is still great. (feel free to insert jizz joke here!) Big Grin

I agree with the shortened setlists on the packaged tours. I'd much rather go see a band in a smaller venue, and get to hear a full setlist.
(08-20-2015, 02:33 AM)Von Halen Wrote: Tesla never fails to put on a good show.

A lot of the singers are at less than full capacity with their voices these days, but there's just something about being there for a live show, that helps me overlook the less than stellar singing. I did recently see Judas Priest, and I have to say, Halford absolutely brought it. His voice is still great. (feel free to insert jizz joke here!) Big Grin

I agree with the shortened setlists on the packaged tours. I'd much rather go see a band in a smaller venue, and get to hear a full setlist.

Tampa ended up being an OK show looking back on it, BUT there was a pretty wicked electrical storm that cancelled Tesla and shortened the Styx set (only 7 songs played). Plus not that Steve Brown didn't do a stellar job, but Vivian's presence was missed as he was missing from the first 2 shows of the summer tour. In hindsight the show just had a weird vibe. Even my 10 year old son said Lep were better the previous summer. I think they were hungrier because they were opening for Kiss. Now that I think of it, we spent nearly $300 on the two tix, another $200 for a hotel across from the amphitheater, another $100 on food, gas, and incidentals. Plus 8 hours travel round trip. Yeah, I don't even think I got a reach around on this one. It is what it is though, can't control mother nature and it was time spent with my son!