Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last year for Ghosts of Christmas Eve Show?
(02-13-2018, 11:46 PM)KISSAlien Wrote: There were plenty of casual fans turned off by the story presented for TLCE.  Lots of voices saying it was extremely depressing.

Personally I find the story ridiculous, but the songs are great.

This 2-minute bit of narration (delivered masterfully by Mr. Hicks) was a major downer for a Christmas Show:

"But on the day of the delivery, her doctor came out with several nurses at his side and said that his wife had started hemorrhaging. And despite their best efforts, she died.  Her child had been cut off from oxygen for minutes! Which is far too long. The damage was now irreversible; his brain now permanently malformed. He’d never hold a job, learn to read or even talk. And it would be a miracle if he even learned to walk. “There is no reason for this life!”, the father cried. “Why does he even exist? And if he had never been born at all, there is no way he would have ever been missed. If man is made in God’s image, then something here is surely amiss. For the child I now see before me, there is nothing of God in this!”  Then he asked to have the child placed in a state-run home. And after he had signed the papers, he walked into that night alone."
(02-19-2018, 05:09 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 11:46 PM)KISSAlien Wrote: There were plenty of casual fans turned off by the story presented for TLCE.  Lots of voices saying it was extremely depressing.

This 2-minute bit of narration (delivered masterfully by Mr. Hicks) was a major downer for a Christmas Show:

"But on the day of the delivery, her doctor came out with several nurses at his side and said that his wife had started hemorrhaging. And despite their best efforts, she died.  Her child had been cut off from oxygen for minutes! Which is far too long. The damage was now irreversible; his brain now permanently malformed. He’d never hold a job, learn to read or even talk. And it would be a miracle if he even learned to walk. “There is no reason for this life!”, the father cried. “Why does he even exist? And if he had never been born at all, there is no way he would have ever been missed. If man is made in God’s image, then something here is surely amiss. For the child I now see before me, there is nothing of God in this!”  Then he asked to have the child placed in a state-run home. And after he had signed the papers, he walked into that night alone."

Agreed, and then he ends up walking into a hospital he isn't associated with and picks up a preemie so he can sit by his son who works there with the same kids?!? Must have been a hell of an interview.
(02-19-2018, 11:14 PM)KISSAlien Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 05:09 AM)danfromnj Wrote:

Agreed, and then he ends up walking into a hospital he isn't associated with and picks up a preemie so he can sit by his son who works there with the same kids?!? Must have been a hell of an interview.

I wasn't bothered by the "downer" storyline as much as I was bothered by the glaring wrongness of that particular bit of the story. I work in the medical field. That shit would not happen. Ever.
So much for "may switch gears in 2018." lol