Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last year for Ghosts of Christmas Eve Show?
In a recent interview, Jon Oliva indicates that TSO will most likely switch gears in terms of its concert in 2018 so this may be the last year in quite some time that fans can experience “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve". And a possible new album to come?

"We’re going to discuss what we’ll do next year when we get together in January,” Oliva says. “So this is your chance to see ‘The Ghosts of Christmas Eve.’ We may move on from it. We’re also going to discuss the possibility of a new album."

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/e...ite-losses
(12-15-2017, 04:12 AM)danfromnj Wrote: In a recent interview, Jon Oliva indicates that TSO will most likely switch gears in terms of its concert in 2018 so this may be the last year in quite some time that fans can experience “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve". And a possible new album to come?

"We’re going to discuss what we’ll do next year when we get together in January,” Oliva says. “So this is your chance to see ‘The Ghosts of Christmas Eve.’ We may move on from it. We’re also going to discuss the possibility of a new album."

I for one am excited to hear this, but i really was expecting them to bring back CEAOS next year.
(12-15-2017, 04:12 AM)danfromnj Wrote: In a recent interview, Jon Oliva indicates that TSO will most likely switch gears in terms of its concert in 2018 so this may be the last year in quite some time that fans can experience “The Ghosts of Christmas Eve". And a possible new album to come?

This is some of the best news I've heard in a long time. I was getting a bit fearful that Ghosts was going to become our next CEAOS touring several years before anything new was done. And a new ALBUM?!?! Heck yes. There's seriously no reason Romanov shouldn't be done or Fairytale Moon if that's the one that Paul had handcuffed to himself in a briefcase when he was interviewed in-depth recently.
I would hope they will finish Romanov first. Not sure what was ever done or concepts discussed with everyone so as to how feasible it is for them to do that without Paul. Gutter Ballet on the other hand was a combo of two Savatage albums which should be easier to complete I would think. I am just hearing about this Fairytale story so I do not know much about it.
(12-16-2017, 09:44 AM)Flyer Wrote: I would hope they will finish Romanov first. Not sure what was ever done or concepts discussed with everyone so as to how feasible it is for them to do that without Paul. Gutter Ballet on the other hand was a combo of two Savatage albums which should be easier to complete I would think. I am just hearing about this Fairytale story so I do not know much about it.

I just listened to an interview with Jon stating that he is working on finishing Romanov during the tour and will meet with others at the beginning of next year.

I read the interview you are quoting here. It sounds as though Jon will be playing a much larger role in TSO than I at least think he had. I don't trust Jon Oliva with TSO. Jon was always jealous of the success Paul and TSO had with CES and Savatage didn't. A friend of mine said and I agree that the vision Paul had for TSO was buried with him. The TSO many of us have come to know over the years was buried with Paul. Jon with help from Caffery Middleton Plate maybe Pitrelli will make TSO back into Savatage for better or for worse especially Caffery who lived and breathed Savatage. Pitrelli will come along only for the ride.
(12-15-2017, 04:31 PM)sundance7490 Wrote:

This is some of the best news I've heard in a long time. I was getting a bit fearful that Ghosts was going to become our next CEAOS touring several years before anything new was done. And a new ALBUM?!?! Heck yes. There's seriously no reason Romanov shouldn't be done or Fairytale Moon if that's the one that Paul had handcuffed to himself in a briefcase when he was interviewed in-depth recently.
Get Romanov done once and for all! Geez it has been in various stages of production for 20 years now and was supposed to be the first TSO album. A few years ago Paul said Romanov and Gutter Ballet were both near completion. Sometime after that Oliva said it was still about two years away. I have on very good authority from a friend of mine  who talked to Paul personally in 2014 that Paul told him Romanov was going to be the next release and what do we get in 2015 but that half baked Letters From the Labyrinth a huge disappointment after 6 years if you ask me. I played it once and put it aside ho hum. The instrumentals are all brilliant classic TSO but the vocals were all very poor. Fairytale Moon is the one Paul said was complete on paper and was handcuffed to him in an interview 2016 sometime. In the same interview Paul said he was meeting with Bob Kinkel to maybe work again. Now Fairytale Moon has been a long rumored working title/project even when Bob was still with TSO. When Bob left TSO Bob said in an interview that he was sworn to secrecy about Fairytale Moon. Some leaked out on the TSO website(I saw it and said WHOA!)  when LFTL was released but quickly taken down and laughed off I think by Paul. At that point I  said Fairytale Moon was dead but apparently wasn't. Bob was also there with the Romanov project. Bob Kinkel is the man to get back on the production team to get these two albums out. I couldn't care less about Gutter Ballet. As far as a show, Nightcastle was being worked on. Paul was getting permission to use scenes of New York years ago and when LFTL came out it was said a world tour was planned.
Really hoping for a new album. Can’t see them performing for too much longer without a new material.
It will be very interesting to see what happens from here. I am a huge Savatage fan and find it frustrating that TSO does not mention them anymore. During the band introductions they used to at least mention the name of the band. Now they don't even do that.

As I understand it, Savatage as a business entity was a flop and owes Jon a lot of money. TSO, on the other hand, makes millions so it probably makes business sense to not rock the boat too much. I would love to see them back together again but know it makes no sense. $$$ rules all.

It can be argued that that Savatage died with Criss and TSO would not have existed if he was still alive. Lots of the signature TSO sound comes from Al Pitrelli's soulful guitar solos.

Here's an update from Jon in November...about the 8:40 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU3Q7pxB0sY