Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who else is similar to TSO?
Have any of you found bands in the same realm as TSO that you like to listen to? I'd love some suggestions.
(01-10-2018, 06:07 AM)Knight Wrote: Have any of you found bands in the same realm as TSO that you like to listen to? I'd love some suggestions.

Though Trans-Siberian Orchestra is really completely unique, there are a number of bands I sort of jumble into similar categories as TSO. Particularly ones that use strings or orchestral arrangements in their line-up. Truthfully I'd have to say the one that started it all was ELO, Electric Light Orchestra from the 70's and 80's. Only that was definitely more of a real band with front-man singer Jeff Lynne who was also the leader. They also had a violinist and two cellists in the main group. They were even one of the first bands to use a laser show in their concerts. They were pioneering lasers but surprisingly still looked really cool. More modern day stuff, I'd have to say a HUGE favorite of mine is Apocalyptica. Three cellists and a drummer from Finland and they sound incredible. They are less progressive rock and more metal but the cellos play rhythm, lead and second lead guitar parts (or what would be guitar parts) and it's so disgustingly awesome and sounds beautiful at the same time.

Then there are some bands that don't use string instruments but fall under the "symphonic metal" category where they either use backing tracks or on-stage keyboards to add in the symphony sound. Ones I would recommend would be Symphony X, which is fronted by Russell Allen from TSO east, and Within Temptation, which is a Dutch band. I hope these help! 

And if this might be of interest, I'm currently in production with my own band I'm co-leading which is partially inspired by TSO Big Grin We're called "Steam Symphony". We're a steampunk-themed symphonic rock band. One of the purposes of our music is mainly because a lot of bands claim to use a lot of strings but you don't ever hear them in the mix. On top of our regular rock band, which includes an electric violinist and an electric cellist, we also have six acoustic strings players (three violins, two violas, and one cello) you will be able to hear loud and clear in the mix. We also have four lead singers for our current album we're producing. I hope all of you will like it!
(01-10-2018, 05:16 PM)sundance7490 Wrote: More modern day stuff, I'd have to say a HUGE favorite of mine is Apocalyptica. Three cellists and a drummer from Finland and they sound incredible. They are less progressive rock and more metal but the cellos play rhythm, lead and second lead guitar parts (or what would be guitar parts) and it's so disgustingly awesome and sounds beautiful at the same time.

Nice to see an Apocalyptica fan. I stumbled on them years ago doing Metallica covers and thought they were so unique and awesome. At the time, I don't remember them having a drummer though and hoped they would add one. I guess they have one now...
(01-10-2018, 06:07 AM)Knight Wrote: Have any of you found bands in the same realm as TSO that you like to listen to? I'd love some suggestions.

Not sure what realm you are actually referring to, but I assume you already know about The Wizards of Winter.

I don't know if they are the same realm as TSO, but their music is pretty good and that is Nightwish.