Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ticketmaster "Verified Fan" presale system
It appears that the 2018 TSO presale process will be significantly different than last year's. The information provided by Ticketmaster after I re-registered as a Verified Fan is incomplete and vague. After the Verified Fan registration step, there is a second step where fans are "selected" (or not) to be allowed to participate in the presale. This "selection" step is conducted without explanation to the public, and apparently I will not find out whether I have been "selected" until the night (no specific time) before the sale date. If I am selected, then Ticketmaster will send me a magic code at 8:00 AM on the sale date and I assume it becomes the usual mad dash to get the best seats at that time (although Ticketmaster doesn't actually say whether we can log in at 8:00 AM or at some other undisclosed time).

Ticketmaster says that this random selection will occur "if demand exceeds supply". However, the Verified Fan registration doesn't ask how many tickets each person plans to buy for each show selected, so how can Ticketmaster determine what the actual demand is? If there are 1,000 Verified Fans for a presale, that could represent anywhere between 1,000 and 8,000 tickets.

I've been part of a group of from 4 to 8 fans who've attended the last 15 TSO shows, and I'm normally the one who purchases the tickets each year. This "selection" process puts everything in doubt. Should 2 or 4 or all 8 of us register separately as Verified Fans, in case I'm not "selected", and then whoever gets lucky (hopefully at least one of us) will get to wear the Buyer hat, with very little notice?

I've been reading about how this Ticketmaster process worked for other shows in the last year or so, and there are some ugly stories about long-time fans getting shut out. I know TSO's popularity isn't quite on the same level as Beyonce or some equivalent artist who will sell out an entire stadium in 15 minutes, so perhaps 100% of the Verified Fans will be "selected". But with no guarantee of that, it's a big slap in the face at long-term core fans. I'm all for finding ways to block resellers from snagging tickets, but this seems like an unfair, overly complicated method. And if the stories from other concerts are true, it didn't achieve its purpose, with people reporting that more tickets than ever were available from resellers. I hope TSO's management is watching closely how this process will impact their fans.

I would appreciate it anyone who has experienced this system first-hand at another concert's presale could add some details of their experience ...
(08-23-2018, 02:18 PM)Reverend Ike Wrote: It appears that the 2018 TSO presale process will be significantly different than last year's. The information provided by Ticketmaster after I re-registered as a Verified Fan is incomplete and vague. After the Verified Fan registration step, there is a second step where fans are "selected" (or not) to be allowed to participate in the presale. This "selection" step is conducted without explanation to the public, and apparently I will not find out whether I have been "selected" until the night (no specific time) before the sale date. If I am selected, then Ticketmaster will send me a magic code at 8:00 AM on the sale date and I assume it becomes the usual mad dash to get the best seats at that time (although Ticketmaster doesn't actually say whether we can log in at 8:00 AM or at some other undisclosed time).

Ticketmaster says that this random selection will occur "if demand exceeds supply". However, the Verified Fan registration doesn't ask how many tickets each person plans to buy for each show selected, so how can Ticketmaster determine what the actual demand is? If there are 1,000 Verified Fans for a presale, that could represent anywhere between 1,000 and 8,000 tickets.

I've been part of a group of from 4 to 8 fans who've attended the last 15 TSO shows, and I'm normally the one who purchases the tickets each year. This "selection" process puts everything in doubt. Should 2 or 4 or all 8 of us register separately as Verified Fans, in case I'm not "selected", and then whoever gets lucky (hopefully at least one of us) will get to wear the Buyer hat, with very little notice?

I've been reading about how this Ticketmaster process worked for other shows in the last year or so, and there are some ugly stories about long-time fans getting shut out. I know TSO's popularity isn't quite on the same level as Beyonce or some equivalent artist who will sell out an entire stadium in 15 minutes, so perhaps 100% of the Verified Fans will be "selected". But with no guarantee of that, it's a big slap in the face at long-term core fans. I'm all for finding ways to block resellers from snagging tickets, but this seems like an unfair, overly complicated method. And if the stories from other concerts are true, it didn't achieve its purpose, with people reporting that more tickets than ever were available from resellers. I hope TSO's management is watching closely how this process will impact their fans.

I would appreciate it anyone who has experienced this system first-hand at another concert's presale could add some details of their experience ...

This system is pretty much the same thing that was done last tour. The night before I was contacted through e-mail that my code would be sent by 8:00 AM which happened and then at 10:00 AM when the sale started I was in and out within 15 minutes. I read many of the horror stories and I am hoping that the problem has been rectified this tour. I got the seats that I wanted at the first try with out having to refresh for a different place.
There were many horror stories last year - such a fan-un-friendly system.  And TSO isn't alone in employing this system - many touring acts and even Broadway shows are using it - and have heard first hand frustration from several.  SO many people didn't get codes last year - TSO used a fan running around the various fan pages to help with it's failures - which is very nice - but strange that a multi-million dollar organization needs to do that after 20 years of touring.  

This year I see they added an hour time limit - if you get a code:
"You will be subject to Ticketmaster’s FanScore verification system. Ticketmaster will distribute the Codes randomly to eligible registrants. If selected, you will receive an email on September 4, 2018 with details and instructions about Code redemption, and an SMS on September 5, 2018 with one (1) Code at approximately 8:00 AM local venue time via the mobile number you submitted at the time of registration for the Program. If we are unable to contact you, you forfeit the Code. If you receive a Code, you may use it toward your purchase of up to eight (8) tickets to the Artist’s concert indicated. You will have one (1) hour to purchase tickets using your Code. "

I think everyone is in favor of shutting out scalpers, but this is such a frustrating way of doing it.
It's a very frustrating system. I had no problems getting in last year but did throw back the first two or three offers as they were crap seats. I ended up with front row which made me wonder about how the system really works. Does it offer the less desirable seats first and then move on to better ones or is it just random BS? TSO is less likely to sell out than some other acts so at least you can probably get in to the system.
I tried to get tickets to P!nk in OKC for next March. Got verified, got the code and couldn't get in because Ticketmaster's servers couldn't handle the traffic. By the time they cleared out, the show was a sell-out. There may be some venues where that's a possibility with TSO but it's not too likely.
I guess it's an improvement but I feel there has to be a better way.
Well, I checked the info from last year and the system was more similar than I remembered. I had forgotten that they did insert a single mention of the possibility of "random selection" but it was very brief and somewhat buried in the email. This year, "selected" is referred to three times which is why it seemed new and more ominous to me. There was no mention of a time limit last year as Dan pointed out. Last year, they also said that if they were unsuccessful sending a purchase code by text, then they would send it by email. This year there's no mention of that alternative (hopefully it still exists and they just forgot to say so).

I've been lucky in past years and was always able to get tickets in the area we prefer within 15 minutes or so. There are always a bunch of offered seats that need to be thrown back before decent seats pop up. @Nancy - I'm fairly certain they don't try to offer the best seats first. The order the seats are offered seems random, as if they consider the entire floor area to be equally desirable, and it's been that way for years at my local venue. And other fans rejecting early tickets adds to the randomness, of course. I don't think they actually try to push the crappier seats first, although it looks that way sometimes. Smile
(08-24-2018, 04:30 AM)NancyL Wrote: It's a very frustrating system.  I had no problems getting in last year but did throw back the first two or three offers as they were crap seats.  I ended up with front row which made me wonder about how the system really works.  Does it offer the less desirable seats first and then move on to better ones or is it just random BS?  TSO is less likely to sell out than some other acts so at least you can probably get in to the system.
I tried to get tickets to P!nk in OKC for next March.  Got verified, got the code and couldn't get in because Ticketmaster's servers couldn't handle the traffic.  By the time they cleared out, the show was a sell-out.  There may be some venues where that's a possibility with TSO but it's not too likely.
I guess it's an improvement but I feel there has to be a better way.

The codes are only good for 1 hour this year so if you work during the day you're not going to be able to use the code. That's not good.
(08-24-2018, 12:32 AM)danfromnj Wrote: "This year I see they added an hour time limit - if you get a code:
"You will be subject to Ticketmaster’s FanScore verification system. Ticketmaster will distribute the Codes randomly to eligible registrants. If selected, you will receive an email on September 4, 2018 with details and instructions about Code redemption, and an SMS on September 5, 2018 with one (1) Code at approximately 8:00 AM local venue time via the mobile number you submitted at the time of registration for the Program. If we are unable to contact you, you forfeit the Code. If you receive a Code, you may use it toward your purchase of up to eight (8) tickets to the Artist’s concert indicated. You will have one (1) hour to purchase tickets using your Code. "

I think everyone is in favor of shutting out scalpers, but this is such a frustrating way of doing it."

"One hour time limit"? Correct me if I'm wrong but if they give codes at 8am and tickets go on sale at 10am local time doesn't this mean that the codes will have expired before you even get a chance to use them? Confused
(08-28-2018, 05:09 PM)pickguru Wrote: "One hour time limit"? Correct me if I'm wrong but if they give codes at 8am and tickets go on sale at 10am local time doesn't this mean that the codes will have expired before you even get a chance to use them?  Confused
I am assuming - and this is just my guesss and nothing else - that the hour starts ticking when you log in with your code to buy tickets. That’s the only rational way a time limit would make sense.