Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Speculation about tours present/future
This has been a big speculation for me for a while about what Paul O'Neill's ideas for TSO were. But my "idea" of what was going to happen seems to have been sped up a little bit.

As we all know, TSO toured "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" for 13 years in a row before switching to "The Lost Christmas Eve" in 2012 for two years. But what I thought would happen when they made the switch over to "The Christmas Attic" was that they would do that album for two years before doing something else. But to my surprise, they've skipped it for this year (and probably forever)!! Any thoughts on why they did this? I thought TCA was an absolutely beautiful story and worked amazing on stage, especially with the amazing trunk (which I predicted would be a centerpiece). Though it did feel a bit more subdued for TSO compared to the other two albums as far as the music is concerned. Like they were tryng to go bigger but the music was not as epic nor as versatile as all their other albums.

Obviously "Ghosts of Christmas Eve" is meant to be a best-of TSO, just as the PBS special was. But my real question leads from this. Because what I really feel GOCE really is is a way to skip TCA this year and do something else.

My speculation is that for the big 20th anniversary of their first album CEAOS is that they'll bring that one back for 2016. But my ultimate question... What do they do after that?!?! I'm anxious for them to tour Night Castle but obviously that can be done just the way they did Beethoven's Last Night, which is anytime during the year. But what about the Christmas tour? I can't even speculate what they will do after that. If they might end doing the Christmas tour and just tour anytime during the year, I'm very curious to see what they will do. It's hard to believe they would give up the bread and butter (we know the Christmas tour makes the big bucks) of the band but you never know. What do you guys think?
(10-24-2015, 05:05 PM)sundance7490 Wrote: This has been a big speculation for me for a while about what Paul O'Neill's ideas for TSO were. But my "idea" of what was going to happen seems to have been sped up a little bit.

As we all know, TSO toured "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" for 13 years in a row before switching to "The Lost Christmas Eve" in 2012 for two years. But what I thought would happen when they made the switch over to "The Christmas Attic" was that they would do that album for two years before doing something else. But to my surprise, they've skipped it for this year (and probably forever)!! Any thoughts on why they did this? I thought TCA was an absolutely beautiful story and worked amazing on stage, especially with the amazing trunk (which I predicted would be a centerpiece). Though it did feel a bit more subdued for TSO compared to the other two albums as far as the music is concerned. Like they were tryng to go bigger but the music was not as epic nor as versatile as all their other albums.

Obviously "Ghosts of Christmas Eve" is meant to be a best-of TSO, just as the PBS special was. But my real question leads from this. Because what I really feel GOCE really is is a way to skip TCA this year and do something else.

My speculation is that for the big 20th anniversary of their first album CEAOS is that they'll bring that one back for 2016. But my ultimate question... What do they do after that?!?! I'm anxious for them to tour Night Castle but obviously that can be done just the way they did Beethoven's Last Night, which is anytime during the year. But what about the Christmas tour? I can't even speculate what they will do after that. If they might end doing the Christmas tour and just tour anytime during the year, I'm very curious to see what they will do. It's hard to believe they would give up the bread and butter (we know the Christmas tour makes the big bucks) of the band but you never know. What do you guys think?

End doing the Christmas tour? That's where the money is. I would guess that's how they finance big stuff like the Wacken and Berlin shows. I don't see that stopping anytime soon, unless the crowds start dropping off big time. My guess would be that they will focus more on Europe and continue trying to make a name for TSO over there.
My hope for the future is that they somehow mend all the fences and do a huge reunion with past and present members. Maybe splitting them up evenly between East and West.

Yeah, I know it'll never happen but one can hope.
(10-31-2015, 12:11 AM)MikeNY Wrote: End doing the Christmas tour?  That's where the money is. I would guess that's how they finance big stuff like the Wacken and Berlin shows. I don't see that stopping anytime soon, unless the crowds start dropping off big time. My guess would be that they will focus more on Europe and continue trying to make a name for TSO over there.

Speaking of Europe. I wonder if it wouldn't make sense for them to have a TSO Europe touring troupe. Why not? There is enough talent there!

I don't see crowds dropping any time soon. I would definitely say it was a great business decision to switch up the show in 2012 to keep things fresh. The last 2 years I have seen crowds as big as I have seen them at TSO. Both in Florida and South Carolina!
I don't see an end to the TSO winter tour, that is where they make their money. If the crowds dwindle, I could see them cutting back on the number of cities they hit or possibly only doing one touring group again. My guess for next year is the same, I think they will bring back Christmas Eve and Other Stories. I really hope they do since it is my favorite story line. Maybe by 2017 they'll have some new material to do? Or possibly just a straight out concert, I know Paul has mentioned that he would like to do that in a few interviews.
(01-19-2016, 03:22 AM)Lmy3887 Wrote: I don't see an end to the TSO winter tour, that is where they make their money. If the crowds dwindle, I could see them cutting back on the number of cities they hit or possibly only doing one touring group again. My guess for next year is the same, I think they will bring back Christmas Eve and Other Stories. I really hope they do since it is my favorite story line. Maybe by 2017 they'll have some new material to do? Or possibly just a straight out concert, I know Paul has mentioned that he would like to do that in a few interviews.

I think this year was about as close to a "traditional" concert we will see in terms of TSO, for the Winter tour at least. Meaning something that is not "album-centric" as in doing the story of CEAO, CA, or TLCE. This last one was essentially a "greatest hits" show under the Ghosts title.

What's nice is that now they have 4 different Winter Tour stories that they can rotate in and out every few years and do so successfully. I remember in 2012 when they made the jump to TLCE that it was like taking a leap of faith. Nobody really knew how the casual fan was going to react. Then after 2 years of TLCE they said, "Hey, why not try The Christmas Attic". Personally, I thought The Christmas Attic was great and would have loved another year of it!
(01-19-2016, 03:22 AM)Lmy3887 Wrote: I don't see an end to the TSO winter tour, that is where they make their money. If the crowds dwindle, I could see them cutting back on the number of cities they hit or possibly only doing one touring group again. My guess for next year is the same, I think they will bring back Christmas Eve and Other Stories. I really hope they do since it is my favorite story line. Maybe by 2017 they'll have some new material to do? Or possibly just a straight out concert, I know Paul has mentioned that he would like to do that in a few interviews.

Me too, I LOVED The Christmas Attic. It felt so intimate and really widespread though TLCE felt bigger and more epic, which I also loved. The Ghosts of Christmas Eve felt like it was the fastest paced concert for me. It didn't feel rushed or anything just felt like it took off flying and never stopped for air. The other two felt like the narration was far more inclusive and intertwined with the music and the story than GOCE.
(01-20-2016, 11:41 AM)sundance7490 Wrote:

Me too, I LOVED The Christmas Attic. It felt so intimate and really widespread though TLCE felt bigger and more epic, which I also loved. The Ghosts of Christmas Eve felt like it was the fastest paced concert for me. It didn't feel rushed or anything just felt like it took off flying and never stopped for air. The other two felt like the narration was far more inclusive and intertwined with the music and the story than GOCE.

Yeah, me too, Ghosts-wise that is. Seemed like the show no sooner started than it was over. And I was at both the Hershey matinee and evening show and they just flew by.
(10-24-2015, 05:05 PM)sundance7490 Wrote: This has been a big speculation for me for a while about what Paul O'Neill's ideas for TSO were. But my "idea" of what was going to happen seems to have been sped up a little bit.

2017 will see the abandoning of the Christmas theme for a metal show like Wacken where generic Christmas songs like CES CJam SSleighride F Snow could still be done and showcase LFTL which is supposed to have a world tour according to one report. This will appease the European Savatage fans and USA fans as well.  This is why Bill and Zack are on board they are metal guys. Then there will be a triumphant return of the Christmas theme.