Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews
I heard a pre-release stream and then since it came out listened to it a couple times again just to see if my initial idea was wrong. And, I'll say this ... for 4 years I blogged nearly daily album reviews with some 600 albums reviewed and probably another 600 I listened to but didn't write about. I live by a rule of thumb - I never judge an album until after the second listen. At first you have expectations that may or may not be met. At the second listen you start to put those aside. Having heard LETTERS 5 or 6 times .... I've not changed my initial view: Bland, imitative, boring, weak, listless and the musicians have gotten so comfortable they no longer are challenging themselves (no matter what the "amazing album" "best ever" PR says ..... considering its a rare day a musician PR's their new album by saying it's not that good).

The album is heavy on instrumentals that blend together, too many in a row, and they all sound like everything else TSO has done. But, super polished and lacking any guts. "Look at what we can!" But, without soul I'm not impressed by how many crescendos you have.

Imitative? Ever since Tommy (and Maxx) set the template for scratchy voices ..... well, how many vocal songs are there and how many feature scratchy smoky voices versus not? Heavy ratio. And, it's crazy and maybe just me, but I'll listen to Soto with TSO and enjoy his stuff, yet everywhere else I just can't get into his voice. Does he sing differently with TSO? I think so. I think he's a Tommy imitator now and I swear some of the songs (I don't have the album in front of me to cite which one) are written for Maxx, they have his phrasing down pat. (Just compare to his work with Seven).

The vocal songs are the best, but remove the vocals and the album is weak and if someone wants TSO I'm still recommending the Xmas albums first and foremost.

While, suddenly LETTERS appears, but what about all the other albums that are supposed to be in the works. Romanov? Gutter? Or, jeesh, as I've been saying for years - a live DVD? And, not a live album with all the audience noise removed, blah NIGHT CASTLE bonus tracks.

Messages In This Thread
Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by danfromnj - 11-14-2015, 05:57 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by TSOd - 01-12-2017, 10:14 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by aaroninmaine - 11-20-2015, 02:17 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by TSOd - 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by admin - 02-03-2016, 08:28 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by TSOd - 01-06-2017, 02:21 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by TSOd - 01-11-2017, 02:59 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by TSOd - 01-11-2017, 02:54 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by TSOd - 01-12-2017, 09:54 AM
RE: Letters from the Labyrinth Reviews - by TSOd - 01-12-2017, 10:06 AM