Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old City Bar 2019
Wonderful performance by Zack. As an Eastie I have seen 3 other singers do OCB. They all did something in the song that I did not like even though I like the song and never had any problems with the performances per se. This was the best I have heard any East singer do OCB. It was very straightforward as a story song should be with no theatrics. The West singer did a very good job too. The Bart Shatto performances were interesting but a bit too dramatic.
Agreed. This song is a great fit for Zak's voice.
(11-22-2019, 04:53 AM)admin Wrote: Agreed.  This song is a great fit for Zak's voice.

Wonder if they'll give it back to Robin if Russell comes back this tour?
I found it an odd fit. He's just TOO good of a singer for a song that's supposed to sound haggard and rustic.
The album version will probably always be my favorite. I haven't heard this year's version yet, but unless it's now played at the speed of the album version, I'll most likely still prefer the album version. Nothing against the various singers who've sung it throughout the years, and I did eventually get used to the slower pace that Paul preferred for the concerts, but the original had a simple charm to its melody that's lost in the concert renditions.
(12-14-2019, 05:49 AM)Mangar Wrote: The album version will probably always be my favorite. I haven't heard this year's version yet, but unless it's now played at the speed of the album version, I'll most likely still prefer the album version. Nothing against the various singers who've sung it throughout the years, and I did eventually get used to the slower pace that Paul preferred for the concerts, but the original had a simple charm to its melody that's lost in the concert renditions.

Their slowing down of songs drives me crazy!
(12-14-2019, 05:25 AM)DarkMacek Wrote: I found it an odd fit. He's just TOO good of a singer for a song that's supposed to sound haggard and rustic.

Robin Borneman was down to sing this one until Russell’s accident took him off the tour. Robin has to now sing Russell’s “Ornament” and “This Christmas Day” and Zak was slid into Robin’s slot to sing Old City Bar. Zak’s version reminds more of Ronny Munroe’s take in 2011.
(12-14-2019, 09:14 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 05:25 AM)DarkMacek Wrote: I found it an odd fit. He's just TOO good of a singer for a song that's supposed to sound haggard and rustic.

Robin Borneman was down to sing this one until Russell’s accident took him off the tour.  Robin has to now sing Russell’s “Ornament” and “This Christmas Day” and Zak was slid into Robin’s slot to sing Old City Bar.  Zak’s version reminds more of Ronny Munroe’s take in 2011.
Before this happened, was Zak's only song Handful of Rain?
(12-16-2019, 02:36 PM)DarkMacek Wrote: Before this happened, was Zak's only song Handful of Rain?

Yes. Kinda. He was down to sing a different song which was subsequently cut. Then he got OCB. And then they added in Handful of Rain.
(12-16-2019, 02:40 PM)danfromnj Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 02:36 PM)DarkMacek Wrote: Before this happened, was Zak's only song Handful of Rain?

Yes. Kinda.  He was down to sing a different song which was subsequently cut.  Then he got OCB.  And then they added in Handful of Rain.
What did they originally have him singing?