Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Savatage at Wacken
(01-18-2015, 09:06 AM)NancyL Wrote: I just think TSO at Wacken is still the most surreal thing I've ever heard of. I cannot quite wrap my mind around that whole idea. 75k drunken Germans and Carmina Burana. Which I will never think of as other than "O For Tuna". Curses on whoever did that video.

youre not alone, theres some band members who cant quite wrap their head around it either Wink
Isn't Wacken an outdoor festival? I could have sworn I've seen vids from other bands and it was outdoors and daylight. That will change a TSO show.
Yes Wacken is outdoors. It runs day and night and it often rains then so it's a gigantic disgusting mud hole. It should be a very interesting sight/experience.
A lot of us were talking about how "Christmas Jam" sounded different live this year, more of a hard rock feel to it. Also, how Chris did not say, "turn it up... Christmas Jam" instead he said "turn it up... it's time to jam". Which had some of us thinking they were prepping it for Wacken. Personally, I preferred the way Christmas Jam was done the last few years....

As for Savatage, let's hope it morphs into maybe a few US one-offs. I live in Florida and would love to see a Tampa area show even if it is a 4 hour ride for me!
I'm thinking the Sava set will be Halls and later, I would be really surprised to see Sirens done.
Really hoping for a bootleg to come from that show, since I'm probably not gonna win the local radio station contest to go.
Will be really nice if Jon gets his voice back into shape.
(01-19-2015, 05:00 AM)Hawkeye Wrote: I'm thinking the Sava set will be Halls and later, I would be really surprised to see Sirens done.
Really hoping for a bootleg to come from that show, since I'm probably not gonna win the local radio station contest to go.

I know of one person going from the States that I assume will record, but you never know. I know a lot of the European festivals get recorded for TV, so maybe a pro version will land out there.
(01-19-2015, 05:00 AM)Hawkeye Wrote: I'm thinking the Sava set will be Halls and later, I would be really surprised to see Sirens done.

why would you think they wouldnt play Sirens? its one of the most iconic sava songs there is and has hardly ever been out of the set.
(01-18-2015, 10:01 PM)Kissguy1973 Wrote: A lot of us were talking about how "Christmas Jam" sounded different live this year, more of a hard rock feel to it.  Also, how Chris did not say, "turn it up... Christmas Jam" instead he said "turn it up... it's time to jam".   Which had some of us thinking they were prepping it for Wacken.  Personally, I preferred the way Christmas Jam was done the last few years....

As for Savatage, let's hope it morphs into maybe a few US one-offs.  I live in Florida and would love to see a Tampa area show even if it is a 4 hour ride for me!

At least one "warmup" show would probably be a good idea.
A bit of news came up with this show recently. After months of the word being that the short Savatage set will be immediately following the TSO set (supposedly at 75-80 minutes), Wacken threw out this blurb - which was then deleted a few hours later:

Savatage & Trans-Siberian Orchestra – special show
If you take a look at the running order, you may note that the Thursday looks strange: Two shows at both main stages at exactly the same time? Yes, this is right!
For the first time ever in the history of W:O:A, both main stages, the True Metal Stage and the Black Stage, will be playing together. Savatage and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra will provide you with an absolutely unique double show, which will combine the best parts of both projects!

But this doesn’t mean, that you will get two different songs at the same time, this wouldn’t make any sense of course. Instead, you will get a lush dramaturgy from the musicians and the projects will constantly rotate. Truly a Night to Remember!

Should be interesting, if this presentation of side-by-side stages actually comes to pass. I will be interested to see how things work. Will the Sav guys be running back and forth, changing into the Tux jackets and vice versa? And how will a Rob Zombie-to-TSO transition go over? The fan reaction on the various Wacken and Savatage forums have not been very favorable to this announcement thus far.
It just gets weirder and weirder. I keep looking for the Cheshire cat and the mad hatter. I think somebody already found the caterpillar's hookah and started early.