Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No moving rigging in Tacoma?
Last year, they did one show at the Tacoma Dome (their usual home, Key Arena, is under renovation). None of the overhead trusses moved at all.. though the theatre marquee unit did move. Checking videos of other shows, everything moved, and performers came down on platforms at the beginning. I asked the booth after the show, and they didn't seem to know anything. Does anyone know if, maybe, the Tacoma Dome has some sort of prohibition on this kind of thing, or if it might have been for some other reason? This year, again, it's a single afternoon show at the Tacoma Dome, and I really hope they can use all their effects!
(10-12-2019, 10:25 AM)ZephyrSkunk Wrote: Last year, they did one show at the Tacoma Dome (their usual home, Key Arena, is under renovation). None of the overhead trusses moved at all.. though the theatre marquee unit did move. Checking videos of other shows, everything moved, and performers came down on platforms at the beginning. I asked the booth after the show, and they didn't seem to know anything. Does anyone know if, maybe, the Tacoma Dome has some sort of prohibition on this kind of thing, or if it might have been for some other reason? This year, again, it's a single afternoon show at the Tacoma Dome, and I really hope they can use all their effects!

This year's set up will be quite different than last year.  No "spatula" arms or the like over the audience.  My understanding is that even the curtain may be gone, which I wouldn't mind at all - I liked it all of those years without one.
(10-16-2019, 11:52 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 10:25 AM)ZephyrSkunk Wrote: Last year, they did one show at the Tacoma Dome (their usual home, Key Arena, is under renovation). None of the overhead trusses moved at all.. though the theatre marquee unit did move. Checking videos of other shows, everything moved, and performers came down on platforms at the beginning. I asked the booth after the show, and they didn't seem to know anything. Does anyone know if, maybe, the Tacoma Dome has some sort of prohibition on this kind of thing, or if it might have been for some other reason? This year, again, it's a single afternoon show at the Tacoma Dome, and I really hope they can use all their effects!

This year's set up will be quite different than last year.  No "spatula" arms or the like over the audience.  My understanding is that even the curtain may be gone, which I wouldn't mind at all - I liked it all of those years without one.

Did they sell them to KISS? LOL
(10-17-2019, 12:19 AM)KISSAlien Wrote:

"Dear KISS, we have these spatula arms that we got from Motley Crue. They were a real pain in the ass. We're done using them now. Would you like them? Sincerely, TSO" Big Grin
(10-17-2019, 12:27 AM)danfromnj Wrote:

"Dear KISS, we have these spatula arms that we got from Motley Crue. They were a real pain in the ass. We're done using them now.  Would you like them? Sincerely, TSO"  Big Grin

Good one Dan. LOL
(10-17-2019, 01:04 AM)KISSAlien Wrote:

"Dear KISS, we have these spatula arms that we got from Motley Crue. They were a real pain in the ass. We're done using them now.  Would you like them? Sincerely, TSO"  Big Grin

Good one Dan. LOL
I'm okay with the lifts going away again. I like the catwalk. I like the people coming down on platforms during the opening, but my issue is, they didn't do that last year in Tacoma. The show had the cable platforms and moving lighting rigs, but none of this happened in Tacoma-- and I'm wondering why not, and if it'll also not happen here this year.
(11-04-2019, 06:36 PM)ZephyrSkunk Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 11:52 AM)danfromnj Wrote: This year's set up will be quite different than last year.  No "spatula" arms or the like over the audience.  My understanding is that even the curtain may be gone, which I wouldn't mind at all - I liked it all of those years without one.

Good one Dan. LOL
I'm okay with the lifts going away again. I like the catwalk. I like the people coming down on platforms during the opening, but my issue is, they didn't do that last year in Tacoma. The show had the cable platforms and moving lighting rigs, but none of this happened in Tacoma-- and I'm wondering why not, and if it'll also not happen here this year.
Probably the roof is not engineered to carry that kind of overhead load. Thats one of the reasons the Hampton Coliseum in Hampton, VA is no longer on the TSO tour. Overhead rigging is too much for the structure, and lets not forget the T Dome is the largest arena in the world with a WOODEN DOME. Thats probably the real reason why.
(11-04-2019, 11:58 PM)TheBigTBone Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 06:36 PM)ZephyrSkunk Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 12:19 AM)KISSAlien Wrote: Did they sell them to KISS? LOL

Good one Dan. LOL
Probably the roof is not engineered to carry that kind of overhead load. Thats one of the reasons the Hampton Coliseum in Hampton, VA is no longer on the TSO tour. Overhead rigging is too much for the structure, and lets not forget the T Dome is the largest arena in the world with a WOODEN DOME. Thats probably the real reason why.
Seems odd, though, that they could still hang ALL the equipment. Everything shown in videos of other shows was up there, it just didn't move. Even the individual moving lights attached to the rigging didn't move around.

Also, re: Motley Crue. Saw some footage several years ago of a KISS show, and they seemed to have most of what TSO had at the time: fireballs, the fire screens that can perform chases, moving overhead rigs, the cherry-picker arms, lasers with many repeaters, pyro (gerb shots, etc.) The difference was, TSO gives every special effect its own moment to be a prima donna; even during the last song's pyro, one effect is allowed to burn out before the next begins. The performer-flying arms were usually only used in two songs. Fire was used in only a few. In the footage I saw, KISS used every effect they had in every song, all at the same time. It's overkill, and the effects lose their ability to impress. It's said that TSO puts on an over-the-top performance, and that's undeniable, but their tech crew understand pacing, choreography, and how to use each effect to its best potential.

Edit: What I'd personally like to see is a set-up focused on the moving overhead grids. My first year was 2008, and I loved how the trusses were used, and again in 2009, as a sort of sculpture entirely covering the stage. Coming in, you'd have no idea how what you saw would become a stage, and the Versa-Tube displays on the fronts and the intense cobalt blue glow as the trusses rose was incredibly beautiful. I love the use of screens and banks of PAR cans on pantographs. The catwalks out over the audience in '10 and '11 were amazing, moreso (in my opinion) than the boom arm lifts, and I've always liked years when there was some extra special effect in the first song, either performers coming down on suspended platforms or going up on scissor lifts, just to drive home the point that you were about to see something unusual. Sad that last year had the suspended platforms but my local show didn't do that!
John Lee Middleton shared a pretty cool shot of things being set up in Tacoma:

[Image: 75258610_10220688258386046_2265799177982...e=5E8CE8FB]
(11-25-2019, 06:54 AM)danfromnj Wrote: John Lee Middleton shared a pretty cool shot of things being set up in Tacoma:

[Image: 75258610_10220688258386046_2265799177982...e=5E8CE8FB]
All I can say is...wow. This show was absolutely spectacular in every way. The music was, as always, wonderful. I loved the return to CEAOS, and thought it was done properly. The rigging and lights were great. The moving light sticks were amazing, and their use (and the transition from a single candle to hundreds) during "Believe" was, I think, the single most beautiful, emotionally-moving thing I have ever seen in a concert.

And the special, ah, "devices" hidden back past the control booth were astounding to see used in a concert. If you haven't seen the show yet, don't read on. Spoilers ahead...

Two large Tesla coils are on lifts, flanking a sphere to which the arcs jump. The sphere is also a fire jet (on top). The arcs are tuned to the same notes of the main melody and they 'buzz' along in key, something I've seen done only as a stand-alone effect.