Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSO in 2020
So, looks like TSO will have a 3rd tour this fall to go along with the East/West tours. Word is that it will not be geographically-specific, but focus more on smaller venues. Guessing they will hire a new cast of musicians and singers, maybe mixed in with some current performers. Any guesses who might be in this new cast?
Source for this information?
(01-16-2020, 05:15 AM)danfromnj Wrote: So, looks like TSO will have a 3rd tour this fall to go along with the East/West tours. Word is that it will not be geographically-specific, but focus more on smaller venues. Guessing they will hire a new cast of musicians and singers, maybe mixed in with some current performers. Any guesses who might be in this new cast?

I'm hoping Bart will be brought back for it. Then of course there's that Alex Campbell guy that posted that he was hired by TSO as a touring guitar player.
I'd pay more money to see them in a smaller venue. The shows now are way too distracting with all the things going on at one time. Hoping if this is true that they come my way.
Interesting that rumors are starting this early. Sounds like they would only be adding a 3rd group to promote a new show and album.
Now that they have made a name for themselves by putting on shows that are over the top, I wonder how the audience will react to more intimate venues that will likely restrict the "show".
(01-19-2020, 12:36 AM)admin Wrote: Now that they have made a name for themselves by putting on shows that are over the top, I wonder how the audience will react to more intimate venues that will likely restrict the "show".
The same way they did when they saw them in the smaller venues. When I first saw TSO before they went "over the top", that was the best of all of them I have seen. It's the music that is the draw, not the bells and whistles and if you don't believe that, watch how many people leave a TSO show after they have performed Christmas Sarajevo"...some come just to hear that one song and they are out the door.
(01-16-2020, 05:15 AM)danfromnj Wrote: So, looks like TSO will have a 3rd tour this fall to go along with the East/West tours. Word is that it will not be geographically-specific, but focus more on smaller venues. Guessing they will hire a new cast of musicians and singers, maybe mixed in with some current performers. Any guesses who might be in this new cast?

Interesting news! I never got to see em in theaters, so this could be cool. As for who might be in it, have no idea. I wonder if they will split people off the East and West groups or go with all new people. Gonna be kinda weird though with a whole bunch of new people calling themselves TSO.
(01-19-2020, 12:58 AM)TheBigTBone Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 12:36 AM)admin Wrote: Now that they have made a name for themselves by putting on shows that are over the top, I wonder how the audience will react to more intimate venues that will likely restrict the "show".
The same way they did when they saw them in the smaller venues. When I first saw TSO before they went "over the top", that was the best of all of them I have seen. It's the music that is the draw, not the bells and whistles and if you don't believe that, watch how many people leave a TSO show after they have performed Christmas Sarajevo"...some come just to hear that one song and they are out the door.

I'm not so sure about that.  Since TSO is now known for having over-the-top shows, that's what many people expect to get when they buy tickets for a TSO show.  If they don't get what they expect, it's very possible they will feel let down.  As you said, you saw them before they went over the top, meaning you didn't go in with any preconceived ideas about them delivering a huge show, so naturally you weren't let down by what you got.  That's not the case for most people today.  

I've seen TSO with several friends who weren't very familiar with TSO's music, and for them, the spectacle was a huge part of the appeal.  They loved the lasers, the lights, the fire, etc.  One friend even said, "The music wouldn't be much on its own, but with all the lights and everything, it's a good show."  

If TSO really is going to play smaller venues with scaled back shows, I think it would be good for them to make it clear that that's what they're doing.  That way, the people who want all the spectacle won't be disappointed (and likewise, the people who prefer less over-the-top performances will be sure to buy tickets.)   

As for people leaving after "Christmas Eve, Sarajevo," that's really not a good sign.  It means there's only one TSO song they like, and even all the bells and whistles can't keep them interested in the rest of it.  It doesn't indicate that they would be more interested in sticking around for a low-key show.  I never noticed people doing that, though.
(02-06-2020, 07:40 AM)Mangar Wrote: If TSO really is going to play smaller venues with scaled back shows, I think it would be good for them to make it clear that that's what they're doing.  That way, the people who want all the spectacle won't be disappointed (and likewise, the people who prefer less over-the-top performances will be sure to buy tickets.)   

TSO doesn't need to make anything clear. They haven't made anything unclear in the first place, because they haven't announced anything. Will they announce this or won't they announce this? Someone wanted to make their own announcement before the band made any public statement for or against and that's where the confusion sets in (as it tends to do when people make announcements without a fully formed rollout).

When or if this is rolled out, it would be a pretty big change to how TSO has toured. I'd think it would be respectful to let them announce it and roll it out as they saw fit to avoid confusion. That's just my opinion, obviously not shared by everyone.