Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSO in 2020
(02-06-2020, 01:21 PM)squintyt4e Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 07:40 AM)Mangar Wrote: If TSO really is going to play smaller venues with scaled back shows, I think it would be good for them to make it clear that that's what they're doing.  That way, the people who want all the spectacle won't be disappointed (and likewise, the people who prefer less over-the-top performances will be sure to buy tickets.)   

TSO doesn't need to make anything clear. They haven't made anything unclear in the first place, because they haven't announced anything. Will they announce this or won't they announce this? Someone wanted to make their own announcement before the band made any public statement for or against and that's where the confusion sets in (as it tends to do when people make announcements without a fully formed rollout).

When or if this is rolled out, it would be a pretty big change to how TSO has toured. I'd think it would be respectful to let them announce it and roll it out as they saw fit to avoid confusion. That's just my opinion, obviously not shared by everyone.

Who is confused?  And who sees information shared in a fan group as an announcement?  Sheesh.  I for one am glad to know what TSO have planned and makes me look forward to more information (whether it comes from well-informed fans or from TSO themselves.)  Fun discussion!

And yes, I agree with Mangar that TSO will need to make it clear (imho) when it all gets officially announced.  I’m guessing that they are well aware of that and will do that.

This is like being mad that news of a likely new AC/DC album (been discussed in their fan groups from well-placed sources for almost a year now) is out there even though they haven’t announced it yet.  Even the news of the Black Crowes reunion and tour was out there before officially announced. lol
(01-16-2020, 05:15 AM)danfromnj Wrote: So, looks like TSO will have a 3rd tour this fall to go along with the East/West tours. Word is that it will not be geographically-specific, but focus more on smaller venues. Guessing they will hire a new cast of musicians and singers, maybe mixed in with some current performers. Any guesses who might be in this new cast?
The way I read into what Zak said is this third band will play the center of the country smaller markets smaller fan bases  smaller venues of 6-8000 that TSO East and West can't get to or are unreasonable to go to since the coasts have the biggest fan bases and arenas. Mannheim Steamroller took a page from the TSO playbook by having two touring bands and >hiring< musicians to >play the music of MS<and billed it as such: Chip Davis Presents The Music Of Mannheim Steamroller. It was not MS.  TSO is now taking a page from the MS playbook. This third band will be >hired< musicians to >play the music of TSO<. They will not be TSO as we know them. People will get the TSO show but not TSO. May as well go see 12/24 or any of the other TSO cover bands which is what this third band will be and save some money and get the smaller more intimate show some people want.
(02-14-2020, 02:51 AM)TSOd Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 05:15 AM)danfromnj Wrote: So, looks like TSO will have a 3rd tour this fall to go along with the East/West tours. Word is that it will not be geographically-specific, but focus more on smaller venues. Guessing they will hire a new cast of musicians and singers, maybe mixed in with some current performers. Any guesses who might be in this new cast?
The way I read into what Zak said is this third band will play the center of the country smaller markets smaller fan bases  smaller venues of 6-8000 that TSO East and West can't get to or are unreasonable to go to since the coasts have the biggest fan bases and arenas. Mannheim Steamroller took a page from the TSO playbook by having two touring bands and >hiring< musicians to >play the music of MS<and billed it as such: Chip Davis Presents The Music Of Mannheim Steamroller. It was not MS.  TSO is now taking a page from the MS playbook. This third band will be >hired< musicians to >play the music of TSO<. They will not be TSO as we know them. People will get the TSO show but not TSO. May as well go see 12/24 or any of the other TSO cover bands which is what this third band will be and save some money and get the smaller more intimate show some people want.

What Zak said was - in his own words - a "guess".  Zak: "I don't know a lot about it right now. My guess is [that] there's places in..." 

What we are hearing is that this will be a tour of theater-sized venues, and where they would go is determined by the offers and routing.  That could change of course during the ongoing booking process, but that is the plan.

And to your point about hired musicians, there isnt much difference now.  As someone who replied to your comment in the TSO facebook group said, When TSO does CEAOS, how many people on stage had anything to do with the original recording?  TSO is all made of up of hired musicians who play the music that Paul/Jon/Bob wrote.  For large chunks of their performances, alot of it is played and sung by people that are not on the records.  So your point is valid for all three casts.
(02-14-2020, 03:23 AM)danfromnj Wrote: What Zak said was - in his own words - a "guess".  Zak: "I don't know a lot about it right now. My guess is [that] there's places in..." 

As you well know Dan if Zak (or any member of TSO) had already been fully briefed on what was going on they wouldn't be telling anyone at this point.
Hearing that booking this theater tour has not gone as expected, though have not heard it called off entirely yet.  Should know soon, although this virus has got the industry in a mess right now.

What might be interesting is the change in the TSO band page (https://www.trans-siberian.com/about/band).  Gone are Caleb, Erika, Hayley and Nate.  Back are Ava, Lisa, Mats and Rob Evan.
(03-24-2020, 01:13 PM)danfromnj Wrote: Hearing that booking this theater tour has not gone as expected, though have not heard it called off entirely yet.  Should know soon, although this virus has got the industry in a mess right now.

What might be interesting is the change in the TSO band page (https://www.trans-siberian.com/about/band).  Gone are Caleb, Erika, Hayley and Nate.  Back are Ava, Lisa, Mats and Rob Evan.
Judging by the fact that the home page is back to showing a banner for the 2018 tour, I think there must be some kind of a glitch with the website.

Given the current uncertainty in the live entertainment industry relating to the virus I wonder if they put off the theater tour until 2021.
(03-24-2020, 10:40 PM)NEsnowstorms Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 01:13 PM)danfromnj Wrote: Hearing that booking this theater tour has not gone as expected, though have not heard it called off entirely yet.  Should know soon, although this virus has got the industry in a mess right now.

Judging by the fact that the home page is back to showing a banner for the 2018 tour, I think there must be some kind of a glitch with the website.

Given the current uncertainty in the live entertainment industry relating to the virus I wonder if they put off the theater tour until 2021.

Yeah - looks like they were making some changes to the site and saved an older version of it. Oops!

As for the theater tour, there were some bumps in the road even before this virus threw a wrench into the booking industry. We shall see if they regroup and try again for next year.
It would be a huge shame if they couldn't tour this year, though obviously that's how it looks right now.

I'd rather go to the show wearing a mask than not at all.
Any news/rumors on this years tour? I would imagine if they don’t tour they’ll have to make an announcement soon. Personally I’m not getting my hopes up.
(06-26-2020, 02:45 AM)James1 Wrote: Any news/rumors on this years tour? I would imagine if they don’t tour they’ll have to make an announcement soon. Personally I’m not getting my hopes up.

The performers who usually work for TSO are awaiting the same announcement. From what I hear, there are some sunk costs with the lighting and sound production companies that they don't want to lose, so they are still holding out hope that some sort of tour will be possible. Already there are a number of arenas that will not open or will only be opened for a partial-capacity crowd, so that will affect whatever routing they had planned as well. There are a number of factors being looked at and many of them have unknowns attached to them (What venues will be available, which venues will be only selling to partial capacity and will it make financial sense to book those, will testing be available for their folks as well as all local crew, whats the public confidence like to go to shows at that point, what kind of money will fans be able or willing to spend on tickets, which performers do not want to go out in these conditions and do they replace them, etc).