Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSO in 2020
(06-28-2020, 12:47 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 02:45 AM)James1 Wrote: Any news/rumors on this years tour? I would imagine if they don’t tour they’ll have to make an announcement soon. Personally I’m not getting my hopes up.

The performers who usually work for TSO are awaiting the same announcement.  From what I hear, there are some sunk costs with the lighting and sound production companies that they don't want to lose, so they are still holding out hope that some sort of tour will be possible.  Already there are a number of arenas that will not open or will only be opened for a partial-capacity crowd, so that will affect whatever routing they had planned as well.  There are a number of factors being looked at and many of them have unknowns attached to them (What venues will be available, which venues will be only selling to partial capacity and will it make financial sense to book those, will testing be available for their folks as well as all local crew, whats the public confidence like to go to shows at that point, what kind of money will fans be able or willing to spend on tickets, which performers do not want to go out in these conditions and do they replace them, etc).

Completely understandable with the state of the world right now. Whatever they decide I’m sure will be in everyone’s best interest. If they choose not too, maybe this is the year they release an official live video of past performances since that seems to be what some bands are doing right now.  Thanks for the info as always Dan!
(06-28-2020, 06:24 PM)James1 Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 02:45 AM)James1 Wrote: Any news/rumors on this years tour? I would imagine if they don’t tour they’ll have to make an announcement soon. Personally I’m not getting my hopes up.

The performers who usually work for TSO are awaiting the same announcement.  From what I hear, there are some sunk costs with the lighting and sound production companies that they don't want to lose, so they are still holding out hope that some sort of tour will be possible.  Already there are a number of arenas that will not open or will only be opened for a partial-capacity crowd, so that will affect whatever routing they had planned as well.  There are a number of factors being looked at and many of them have unknowns attached to them (What venues will be available, which venues will be only selling to partial capacity and will it make financial sense to book those, will testing be available for their folks as well as all local crew, whats the public confidence like to go to shows at that point, what kind of money will fans be able or willing to spend on tickets, which performers do not want to go out in these conditions and do they replace them, etc).

Completely understandable with the state of the world right now. Whatever they decide I’m sure will be in everyone’s best interest. If they choose not too, maybe this is the year they release an official live video of past performances since that seems to be what some bands are doing right now.  Thanks for the info as always Dan!

I would love a double blu-ray with both East and West. I've got some of the fan filmed and authored shows that will get me by for now.
(07-01-2020, 07:56 AM)groo1322 Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 06:24 PM)James1 Wrote:

I would love a double blu-ray with both East and West. I've got some of the fan filmed and authored shows that will get me by for now.

with everyone pretty much staying indoors. This would be the perfect year to do it.
(07-06-2020, 02:44 AM)Xmascannon Wrote: How about a Pay for view concert with a DVD of a Past Concert for like $75 or $100 bucks?
Maybe they could get 500k people to purchase the pay for view?
(Just an idea)

Oh... you again. And no. Still not a good idea.
I'd love a live album or a DVD. A lot of the studio albums lack the magic of their live performances. And I honestly prefer TSO East's guitar tones to the ones on record.
(07-06-2020, 06:49 AM)sundance7490 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 02:44 AM)Xmascannon Wrote: How about a Pay for view concert with a DVD of a Past Concert for like $75 or $100 bucks?
(Just an idea)

I think its a great idea! That's the nice thing about message boards, everybody has an idea, and everybody has their opinion, and everybody's entitled to their opinion. It's funny when people think that they are the authority of what would actually work and what would not work.
(07-28-2020, 03:18 AM)Xmascannon Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 06:49 AM)sundance7490 Wrote:
(Just an idea)

I think its a great idea! That's the nice thing about message boards, everybody has an idea, and everybody has their opinion, and everybody's entitled to their opinion. It's funny when people think that they are the authority of what would actually work and what would not work.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I understand the idea. Do you mean the PPV concert would be a current show (performed to an empty arena), and anyone who orders it also receives a DVD of a past show?
Realistically, I'm not sure how many people would be willing to pay $75-$100 to watch a TSO show at home. Going to a concert is an experience and worth some expense. But sitting on your couch to watch a concert on television really doesn't compare to it. Sure, some diehard fans might pay for it, but I don't think the numbers would be high enough to justify the expense of setting it all up, especially since TSO hasn't really been in the limelight lately, with no new material for several years.
But what do I know? If TSO didn't exist and somebody said to me, "Hey, I have a great business idea! Let's put a bunch of 80s metal heads in tuxedos and have travel around the country playing Christmas songs while lasers and explosions shoot around the stage!" I would have laughed at them. And yet here we are.
I guess a PPV concert is a bad idea, I was just thinking one concert a couple days before Christmas maybe everybody would be into it, and purchase it? Either way, I won't be going to any concerts this winter.
But I will watch some TSO re-runs on YouTube.
(07-30-2020, 05:18 AM)Xmascannon Wrote: I guess a PPV concert is a bad idea, I was just thinking one concert a couple days before Christmas maybe everybody would be into it, and purchase it? Either way, I won't be going to any concerts this winter.
But I will watch some TSO re-runs on YouTube.
Not a bad idea at all. But maybe charge about $30. We know that the tour is not happening this year and those hungry enough and need or want their TSO Christmas fix will be glad to fork out a few bucks to see it PPV. I would pay for it.
Live Nation (who produces most, but not all, of TSO's Shows) held a teleconference today.  Some of the highlighted points, after detailing the hundreds of millions of dollars they have lost so far this year:
  • They expect live events will return in summer 2021, focusing on the amphitheaters and festivals with on-sales beginning end of this year and early 2021.  They are expecting strong turnouts in the summer based on customers who have held on to their tickets for rescheduled tours and ticket sales of 2021 festivals in Europe. Their confidence is also based on the progress seen on the vaccine front.
  • They are expecting live-streaming to be a regular component of live performances being sold going forward.
  • They have put on some socially-distant shows, mostly in NZ and Europe and they expect the USA to be the last to be able to set those up.