Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSO in 2020
I did some more searching and learned that Amazon had their own broswer for Firestick: Silk. I downloaded it and typed in address and code and show started playing no problem. So looking forward to watching with wife tonight. I did try again on the Firefox app but still will not load due to Flash player issue.
UPDATE - we did get to watch the show finally tonight. Loved it!! Although the audio glitched a lot and the picture froze only about 4 times during the entire time for about 10 seconds each time. So not bad. That is why I hate streaming so much. You are relying on good internet service and good wifi. I do plan on watching a couple more times before Saturday.

Thanks again for your replies regarding how to watch. I am glad we were able to watch it without buying Chromecast or pay additional fees for some app subscription.
(12-20-2020, 04:11 AM)DarkMacek Wrote: Also, they should really release this in some format. I've long wanted a TsO live album - I think Promises to Keep's live version is incredible and they generally sound much less sterile live than on the album.

For what its worth, they did thank the director of commercial video for Rhino Records in the credits...
Has anybody noticed that the songs credits at the end of the stream differ from the well-known ones? I don't remember them by heart but I know that Believe was definitely written by both the Oliva brothers and Paul O'Neill.

It made me search for the original CEAOS booklet. One of the surprising things I learnt there is that Chris didn't record anything on that album. Does anybody have any onfo about that? Why he would be the only one ommitted from the whole band? I thought he and Al were responsible for all the guitars on all the records with some of the touring members contributing parts on the most recent ones.
Chris Olivia died in 1993 due to a car accident. Since his death, Jon and Paul have used his guitar recordings in other Savatage albums, a couple Trans-Siberian Orchestra songs and Jon Oliva’s other projects outside of those two bands. Chris’s Caffery, on the other hand, and Paul O’Neil (among a few others) did guitars for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra albums alongside with Al. Also a side note: They used the Savatage version of Believe in the credits of the livestream.

Not sure if that clears anything up for you.
(12-30-2020, 11:44 AM)SammyGIII Wrote: Chris Olivia died in 1993 due to a car accident. Since his death, Jon and Paul have used his guitar recordings in other Savatage albums, a couple Trans-Siberian Orchestra songs and Jon Oliva’s other projects outside of those two bands. Chris’s Caffery, on the other hand, and Paul O’Neil (among a few others) did guitars for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra albums alongside with Al. Also a side note: They used the Savatage version of Believe in the credits of the livestream.

Not exactly. I'm familiar with Savatage's history and I know how Criss Oliva died and that he was replaced by Alex Skolnick to play solos on Handful Of Rain album and on subsequent tour. He then left because he felt like hired gun and couldn't participate on writing the music. So that was the time when Chris Caffery finally came back to Savatage full time. Plus they hired Al Pitrelli, I guess to have a star name in line up, since the band was still struggling to really break through.

I was talking about the songs credits that you can see in the end subtitles of the Christmas Eve And Other Stories stream. Some of the songs have different songwriters compared to the album's booklet! And I noticed that thanks to Believe, which was definitely written by both Oliva brothers and Paul O'Neill but here in the stream it only says Paul O'Neill.
And while I was comparing the songwriting credits of the first TSO album, I found out that Chris Caffery didn't play on it at all. He is only mentioned the "thanks to" note. I though the whole Savatage went and recorded the first  TSO album. Well at least he probably plays in Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 as it was taken from the Savatage album.
(12-30-2020, 08:43 AM)Johny35 Wrote: Has anybody noticed that the songs credits at the end of the stream differ from the well-known ones? I don't remember them by heart but I know that Believe was definitely written by both the Oliva brothers and Paul O'Neill.

It made me search for the original CEAOS booklet. One of the surprising things I learnt there is that Chris didn't record anything on that album. Does anybody have any onfo about that? Why he would be the only one ommitted from the whole band? I thought he and Al were responsible for all the guitars on all the records with some of the touring members contributing parts on the most recent ones.

Yes and they also screwed up the title of "This Christmas Day".
(12-30-2020, 08:43 AM)Johny35 Wrote: Has anybody noticed that the songs credits at the end of the stream differ from the well-known ones? I don't remember them by heart but I know that Believe was definitely written by both the Oliva brothers and Paul O'Neill.

(12-30-2020, 08:42 PM)Johny35 Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 11:44 AM)SammyGIII Wrote: Chris Olivia died in 1993 due to a car accident. Since his death, Jon and Paul have used his guitar recordings in other Savatage albums, a couple Trans-Siberian Orchestra songs and Jon Oliva’s other projects outside of those two bands. Chris’s Caffery, on the other hand, and Paul O’Neil (among a few others) did guitars for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra albums alongside with Al. Also a side note: They used the Savatage version of Believe in the credits of the livestream.

Not exactly. I'm familiar with Savatage's history and I know how Criss Oliva died and that he was replaced by Alex Skolnick to play solos on Handful Of Rain album and on subsequent tour. He then left because he felt like hired gun and couldn't participate on writing the music. So that was the time when Chris Caffery finally came back to Savatage full time. Plus they hired Al Pitrelli, I guess to have a star name in line up, since the band was still struggling to really break through.

I was talking about the songs credits that you can see in the end subtitles of the Christmas Eve And Other Stories stream. Some of the songs have different songwriters compared to the album's booklet! And I noticed that thanks to Believe, which was definitely written by both Oliva brothers and Paul O'Neill but here in the stream it only says Paul O'Neill.
And while I was comparing the songwriting credits of the first TSO album, I found out that Chris Caffery didn't play on it at all. He is only mentioned the "thanks to" note. I though the whole Savatage went and recorded the first  TSO album. Well at least he probably plays in Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 as it was taken from the Savatage album.
Oh ok, that makes more sense. I thought you were still talking about Criss Oliva (I shoulda checked the spelling) I wouldn’t know why Caffery wouldn’t play on ceaos at all other than 12/24. And I can’t say anything about the miss credit for “Believe” That was probably  the mistake of whoever made the credits. And the different song writers on some of their other songs, it could be that way because of the slightly different arrangements of each song, so someone must’ve written live arrangements for the songs? I don’t know to be honest. It could’ve just been the error of whoever produced the credits.

[Image: vZ5WCsm.png]

A lot of us noticed that.  That has to be way more than an oversight.  I am not an expert on how that stuff works, but I do know Paul - through various dealings - owned the Savatage brand/band as well as much of the royalties.  Perhaps this is the result of one of those dealings.  Its a crime, regardless. Heck, even through all of the lawsuits and bad feelings between Henly/Frey and Don Felder, Felder still gets his proper songwriting credit on "Hotel California".

It is also not the first time that songwriting credits have changed - check out Silk and Steel from Savatage.  It was originally a Slowburn song written by Paul Silverstein.  When it was released by Savatage, the songwriting credit changed to Silver/Criss Oliva.  Then later, it was changed again to "Oliva/O'Neill/Oliva". 

(12-30-2020, 08:43 AM)Johny35 Wrote: It made me search for the original CEAOS booklet. One of the surprising things I learnt there is that Chris didn't record anything on that album. Does anybody have any onfo about that? Why he would be the only one ommitted from the whole band? I thought he and Al were responsible for all the guitars on all the records with some of the touring members contributing parts on the most recent ones.

Credits in the TSO albums are always suspect, particularly on the later releases.  They very often just list whoever is in the current touring band at that time whether they played on it or not.  CEAOS is interesting because Caffery is notably not listed, but then in later editions he was added to show "rhythm guitar" on Christmas Eve Sarajevo, which was the earlier Savatage recording. 

As for who plays guitar, Al Pitrelli pretty much plays all the guitars on all the TSO records.  I know people like to think that Caffery as well as others participate in the studio when it comes to these recordings....and they do indeed have them in to record stuff.....but much of it is never used and Pitrelli plays pretty much ALL of it!  Including much of the bass guitar as well.  There have been some songs here and there where solos were done by others - Skolnick ("Believe") and Avakian ("Christmas Canon Rock") - but 95% of the guitar work you hear on TSO records is Al.
Interesting article for those that enjoy reading about the more technical side of a TSO Show.  Bryan Hartley talks about the challenges, effects and consoles he used in the streamed show at PRG studios in Nashville last month. 

https://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/th...dma3-light