Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TSO Ghosts of Christmas Eve 2016 Tour
(08-14-2016, 04:06 AM)danfromnj Wrote: Anyone have any hopes or thoughts for the upcoming 2016 "The Ghosts of Christmas Eve" tour?

I suppose my hopes revolve around the second half of the Show and certain songs that I would like to hear.

And in the category of "I know its not gonna happen", I would like them to actually use the photo of Tommy Farese from the movie in that one background shot instead of photoshopping some other face in there as the "Dad".  

Should be interesting.....

I was hoping for CEAOS have they posted that The Ghosts of Christmas Eve is the show for 2016? I haven't seen it posted yet.
(08-14-2016, 09:43 AM)heatherlynn Wrote: I was hoping for CEAOS have they posted that The Ghosts of Christmas Eve is the show for 2016? I haven't seen it posted yet.

Not posted publically. But the Show for this year is indeed The Ghosts of Christmas Eve once again.
(08-14-2016, 09:57 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 09:43 AM)heatherlynn Wrote: I was hoping for CEAOS have they posted that The Ghosts of Christmas Eve is the show for 2016? I haven't seen it posted yet.

Not posted publically.  But the Show for this year is indeed The Ghosts of Christmas Eve once again.

That kinda sucks! I will still be going as I've promised a great time for my daughter, my mom, and my sister. I do not understand doing the same show 2 years in a row. My only wish is that I get to hear Andrew sing Christmas Dreams and Angel came down I believe it is named. Also my daughter age 5 love anything Chloe sings so hoping she gets to meet her at meet and greet.
Hopefully you can see them early in the tour before they and their voices are worn out. I saw them last year in OKC on 12/23. The Chesapeake Energy Center has appalling acoustics but they all sounded like crap. There has been discussion in the past that apparently Paul wants every one of the male singers to growl like they're fronting a death metal band and it does not work. All the guys, including Andrew were singing well below their normal register and sounded dreadful. Chloe on the other hand sounded like a screeching banshee. The girl I was with called her a "Maria Brink wannabe" which cracked me up. After the show was over I had to play some Chameleon and JSS to prove to her that they don't always sound like shit.
I was also hoping it was Christmas Eve and Other Stories this year, but I guess not. Andrew and Chloe are the reasons I want to see West some year. I've been seeing East since 2006.

(08-14-2016, 10:10 AM)heatherlynn Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 09:57 AM)danfromnj Wrote:

Not posted publically.  But the Show for this year is indeed The Ghosts of Christmas Eve once again.

That kinda sucks! I will still be going as I've promised a great time for my daughter, my mom, and my sister. I do not understand doing the same show 2 years in a row. My only wish is that I get to hear Andrew sing Christmas Dreams and Angel came down I believe it is named. Also my daughter age 5 love anything Chloe sings so hoping she gets to meet her at meet and greet.
Given the trouble that Farese has gotten himself into in recent years it's no wonder there's no screen time given to him. Better to distance themselves as much as possible - it was a smart decision to remove him. Not to mention that 98.6% of the audience has no idea that there was a replacement done in the video for the seven seconds of time.
(08-14-2016, 12:06 PM)squintyt4e Wrote: Given the trouble that Farese has gotten himself into in recent years it's no wonder there's no screen time given to him. Better to distance themselves as much as possible - it was a smart decision to remove him. Not to mention that 98.6% of the audience has no idea that there was a replacement done in the video for the seven seconds of time.

It's about doing the right thing - and it wasn't done here - in more ways than just that instance. But I am intimately aware of both sides here which is why I put it in the "It will never happen" category.
For many years I was a big advocate for a “best of” type show, so naturally I was pretty excited over the prospect of last year’s show. The show was still great last year, but that first half and the whole story line just didn’t sit well or flow right for me. It felt very disjointed and something just felt off. A few things off the top of my head to fix the first half:

1. New opening!!! No more T&D/Winter Palace opening. That is getting extremely stale. Would really like to see Mountain Labyrinth worked in there for something fresh. It’s funny, in 2011 I wasn’t a big fan of “Who I Am?” but I would gladly accept its return. “Mountain Labyrinth” would be a great opener (yeah I know folks think it is too dark, but “Night Enchanted” was not?). Maybe “Who I Am” into “Mountain Labyrinth” as they like to showcase the vocalists from the start.

2. Work on the narration as something was lacking. Not that Bryan and Philip didn’t do a great job, but it needs to be beefed up.

3. The transition from MBB to First Snow was awkward for me. I can’t put my finger on it, but during each of the 5 shows I saw last year that was my “WTF was that” moment. Two awesome songs on their own but not back-to-back or going MBB to First Snow. I was really looking forward last year to hearing First Snow again, but it really didn’t work in the context of the story.

Am I disappointed that they decided to do the Ghosts of Christmas Eve again this year? Somewhat. I get it though, it’s a business decision that is made well above most of the band members’ heads. I just don’t know why they would not do CEAOS this year. I have heard the rumblings and grumblings that they just felt the Ghosts show would be more profitable, lucrative, and successful. Again, I understand this is a business at the end of the day.

The second half I thought was great last year, but could use the addition of maybe 2 more songs, preferably a vocal being one of them.
(08-14-2016, 12:06 PM)squintyt4e Wrote: Given the trouble that Farese has gotten himself into in recent years it's no wonder there's no screen time given to him. Better to distance themselves as much as possible - it was a smart decision to remove him. Not to mention that 98.6% of the audience has no idea that there was a replacement done in the video for the seven seconds of time.

As for the whole Tommy Photoshop thing? My feathers were not ruffled by this because I have actually never seen him perform. So I did not have that emotional attachment to him. I understand there are people who are big fans of him and don’t necessarily fault any of you for being pissed.

However, at the end of the day I do understand why they cut him out and do believe it was the right thing to do. I'll leave it at that.
(08-14-2016, 04:06 AM)danfromnj Wrote: Anyone have any hopes or thoughts for the upcoming 2016 "The Ghosts of Christmas Eve" tour?

I suppose my hopes revolve around the second half of the Show and certain songs that I would like to hear.

And in the category of "I know its not gonna happen", I would like them to actually use the photo of Tommy Farese from the movie in that one background shot instead of photoshopping some other face in there as the "Dad".  

Should be interesting.....

Never noticed that Tommy Farese was photoshopped from the movie background last year. Interesting. Anyway, I sure do wish we'd have gotten The Christmas Attic presented another time or two, but I suppose I'd have to say The Lost Christmas Eve is my favorite story and I'd love to see it done on stage again, though I kind of doubt that's going to happen, but I am glad to hear they're going to repeat The Ghosts of Christmas Eve show this year. There's always so much to take in that seeing a show a few times, (at least), just helps to get all there is to get out of it, for me anyway. One song I would love to hear, regardless of the story presented, is Believe. Truly awesome song, and OCB may be long but it's a great song and I'd love to hear that every year too. Christmas Eve Sarajevo should be played at least twice, in it's entirety, for every show. Always evokes an excitement no matter how often I hear it.  Actually, I wouldn't mind a kind of "greatest hits" rendering in the second half along with some Savatage as well. Would love to hear some Savatage that hasn't been previously played with the TSO Christmas tours. The special effects are great, kids love them, but personally I wouldn't mind if they were toned down some, or a lot, but a TSO show is always a great show. I've found over the years its always we'll worth the time, effort, and money regardless of what's presented or what I think I prefer before any given show. I wonder how (why) they decide to what they do and for how long. Kind of odd that CEAOS went for so long then only one or two years of other stories. Just curious but it really doesn't matter I suppose for the average "TSO attendee," which would be me. Looking forward to the tour dates being released. Going to be a bit tricky with scheduling but I'll make it come hell or high water. Taking my oldest grandson to his first TSO show this year. He's going to love it. My youngest girls have been playing BLN and CEAOS for weeks now anticipating seeing the show again.