Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does bringing back GHOSTS really make sense to anyone?
(09-15-2016, 08:00 AM)Sarajevo12/24 Wrote: Come on folks.....It is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY"....we all know it......Fans be dammed......sir paul is going to say and do what he damn well pleases.....he all ways has......and he all ways will.....what really pissed me of is he gave THE CHRISTMAS ATTIC a one and done..after running CE&OS in the ground....Most everyone was sick of it by the end...truth be told......I myself think TCA is by far the best cd and it really is  the showcase of talent of the 3 Christmas type cds.....I do not care for "JUST" metal and more metal.......I prefer a mix of jazz, blues, rock, metal, r&b and so on......The Attic has a little of each......Just my 2 cents..which means ab-so-lute-ly........nothing.......
Truth.
I also like the mix of music on TCA
(09-15-2016, 08:00 AM)Sarajevo12/24 Wrote: Come on folks.....It is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY"....we all know it......Fans be dammed......sir paul is going to say and do what he damn well pleases.....he all ways has......and he all ways will.....what really pissed me of is he gave THE CHRISTMAS ATTIC a one and done..after running CE&OS in the ground....Most everyone was sick of it by the end...truth be told......I myself think TCA is by far the best cd and it really is  the showcase of talent of the 3 Christmas type cds.....I do not care for "JUST" metal and more metal.......I prefer a mix of jazz, blues, rock, metal, r&b and so on......The Attic has a little of each......Just my 2 cents..which means ab-so-lute-ly........nothing.......

I'm not afraid to say I love The Christmas Attic the most as well. I love the album too though it tread very closely to the style of Christmas Eve and Other Stories but on stage it felt very grand and epic yet very intimate as well. The "one and done" thing was a huge surprise to me. Since they did The Lost Christmas Eve at least twice I thought for sure they would do Attic once more. It was really poor timing as doing Ghosts for the 20th would've been absolutely perfect. I think all of us would've been much more appreciative of Ghosts a lot more if that would've been the case.
(09-17-2016, 09:31 AM)sundance7490 Wrote: I'm not afraid to say I love The Christmas Attic the most as well. I love the album too though it tread very closely to the style of Christmas Eve and Other Stories but on stage it felt very grand and epic yet very intimate as well. The "one and done" thing was a huge surprise to me. Since they did The Lost Christmas Eve at least twice I thought for sure they would do Attic once more. It was really poor timing as doing Ghosts for the 20th would've been absolutely perfect. I think all of us would've been much more appreciative of Ghosts a lot more if that would've been the case.

Completely agree with this.  Personally I was hesitant on Christmas Attic at first, but I cannot even begin to tell you how much that album and tour grew on me as I saw the show more.  The first night it took a bit to sink in... then I was just blown away the next 5 shows I saw.  From the minute that opening POV animation started til the very last note.  Very glad I was able to see both the East and West interpretations of it.

As you say... one more year of Attic (last year) then Ghosts this year for the 20th.  It's all good though... we'll still get an awesome show this year.  Probably more so than last year as they can tweak what worked and what didn't.  Much like I think TLCE improved by the 2nd time around (other than cutting the full Wisdom of Snow...  Angry).
(09-18-2016, 09:42 PM)Kissguy1973 Wrote:
(09-17-2016, 09:31 AM)sundance7490 Wrote: I'm not afraid to say I love The Christmas Attic the most as well. I love the album too though it tread very closely to the style of Christmas Eve and Other Stories but on stage it felt very grand and epic yet very intimate as well. The "one and done" thing was a huge surprise to me. Since they did The Lost Christmas Eve at least twice I thought for sure they would do Attic once more. It was really poor timing as doing Ghosts for the 20th would've been absolutely perfect. I think all of us would've been much more appreciative of Ghosts a lot more if that would've been the case.

Completely agree with this.  Personally I was hesitant on Christmas Attic at first, but I cannot even begin to tell you how much that album and tour grew on me as I saw the show more.  The first night it took a bit to sink in... then I was just blown away the next 5 shows I saw.  From the minute that opening POV animation started til the very last note.  Very glad I was able to see both the East and West interpretations of it.

As you say... one more year of Attic (last year) then Ghosts this year for the 20th.  It's all good though... we'll still get an awesome show this year.  Probably more so than last year as they can tweak what worked and what didn't.  Much like I think TLCE improved by the 2nd time around (other than cutting the full Wisdom of Snow...  Angry).

I absolutely loved The Christmas Attic, it was one of the best shows I've seen, along with the first year of The Lost Christmas Eve (such a deep story, I loved the west live version of Wisdom of Snow, I didn't go the second year due to money.), and the 2011 CEAOS (first time I took my then girlfriend, now fiancé)with the 3 triangluar light rigs (yes I know there were 3 big, 3 small, I'm grouping them together.) I do agree they should have done TCA one more time, but either way I'm glad to see Ghost of Christmas Eve this year, as I had to miss last year due to more money issues. This year will be the first time I go with my soon to be wife, it will be the finally of our honey moon, we both are very excited!!!
(09-04-2016, 11:25 AM)sundance7490 Wrote: Be honest, I want to hear your opinions. The Lost Christmas Eve they had two years in a row. That made sense considering it was the first change the band had made in 13 years of touring for the winter tour (leaving aside BLN of course). It was epic, it looked great on stage, it was a very versatile story on stage as far as the music was concerned. And the story was emotional as heck. I have never come so close to crying watching a stage show as I did with TLCE. And that's a really hard thing to do.

The Christmas Attic they did for only one year and honestly, I would've gladly gone a second. Some consider it the "weakest" album but I really felt like the story was beautiful and even more beautifully told through the stage show. It encompassed the lives of several people through the letters and brought more characters into a humble story. The first half felt like it went on forever, which I really enjoyed. The longer the show the more bang for your buck.

NOW, onto the elephant in the room. I saw The Ghosts of Christmas Eve last year. Enjoyed how they brought the film to the stage (quite literally) and the song list which is a perfect combination of TSO songs and the stage was pretty awesome... but that's about it. Talk about weak. The story is so thin you could cut it with a spoon. No emotion, there's nothing overtly exciting about it and the first half of the concert felt like it was over even before it started. Heck the beginning narration is borrowed from The Christmas Attic! It really felt lame and this did feel like TSO was doing a tribute to themselves far before their time as a major band has gone out. Unfortunately I'm not able to go this year but the sad part is (and as big a TSO fan I am)... I don't feel like it's that big a loss.

We all know we were anxious for either CEAOS to come back or maybe some kind of other pleasant surprise as Paul O'Neill so graciously said they would offer for the 20th anniversary of the Orchestra. So... what is the deal here? Where is this so-called "demand" he speaks of to bring the weakest tour back for another go? I don't really see any demand for this one at all. Why in the world bring this one back? Yes I'm disappointed but I have to admit. I'll be furious if Ghosts is brought back a third time in a row. I think we'll all know what's really going on at that point.

NO!

TCA probably is my favorite of the four shows. Most of us saw CEAOS numerous times(5 for me) and will always hold a special place for us but TCA was BRILLIANT! It accomplished everything TSO was trying to accomplish including BLN up to that point which is Rock Theater. The production and staging was BRILLIANT and music VERY enjoyable. I was really surprised to hear Joy which I did not think would be done and Appalachian Snowfall a great tune that could have been done more  like as the opening band number after the choir all these years.  I wish it would have had a second run. I was lucky enough to be at the very first show in Toledo when I was BLOWN AWAY by it then saw it again in my usual venue and enjoyed it then even more.
(09-05-2016, 07:56 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 11:25 AM)sundance7490 Wrote: Be honest, I want to hear your opinions. The Lost Christmas Eve they had two years in a row. That made sense considering it was the first change the band had made in 13 years of touring for the winter tour (leaving aside BLN of course). It was epic, it looked great on stage, it was a very versatile story on stage as far as the music was concerned. And the story was emotional as heck. I have never come so close to crying watching a stage show as I did with TLCE. And that's a really hard thing to do.

The Christmas Attic they did for only one year and honestly, I would've gladly gone a second. Some consider it the "weakest" album but I really felt like the story was beautiful and even more beautifully told through the stage show. It encompassed the lives of several people through the letters and brought more characters into a humble story. The first half felt like it went on forever, which I really enjoyed. The longer the show the more bang for your buck.

NOW, onto the elephant in the room. I saw The Ghosts of Christmas Eve last year. Enjoyed how they brought the film to the stage (quite literally) and the song list which is a perfect combination of TSO songs and the stage was pretty awesome... but that's about it. Talk about weak. The story is so thin you could cut it with a spoon. No emotion, there's nothing overtly exciting about it and the first half of the concert felt like it was over even before it started. Heck the beginning narration is borrowed from The Christmas Attic! It really felt lame and this did feel like TSO was doing a tribute to themselves far before their time as a major band has gone out. Unfortunately I'm not able to go this year but the sad part is (and as big a TSO fan I am)... I don't feel like it's that big a loss.

We all know we were anxious for either CEAOS to come back or maybe some kind of other pleasant surprise as Paul O'Neill so graciously said they would offer for the 20th anniversary of the Orchestra. So... what is the deal here? Where is this so-called "demand" he speaks of to bring the weakest tour back for another go? I don't really see any demand for this one at all. Why in the world bring this one back? Yes I'm disappointed but I have to admit. I'll be furious if Ghosts is brought back a third time in a row. I think we'll all know what's really going on at that point.

Keep in mind when you read my post, that I rarely criticize the TSO powers that be.  I chalk most things up to good business decisions and the bottom line, however...  I don't agree with it.  I will be blunt, the stage adaptation and the first half just didn't flow well AT ALL for me.  Probably my 2nd to least favorite Winter Tour.  Also compounding matters last year was the fact that I REALLY enjoyed the Christmas Attic shows and would have liked another year of that.  Most people I talk to feel the same way and I think a lot of people were left scratching their heads and a bit disappointed.  Many of us were expecting a the 20th anniversary show this year.  Again though, it is what it is.

Another thing I don't get is the whole back by popular demand tag.  I'm calling bullsh** on that!

That said, I will still go to my handful of both east and west shows and enjoy the them.  Looking forward to our travels and seeing my TSO friends and family.  Hope to see some of you along the way that I have never met before!
I agree with the Christmas Attic part. I thought it was an excellent show. I liked the stage setup. I can't say I've been disappointed in any of them really. The one thing about this one is the first part seems shorter leaving more songs to feature in the second half. I obviously see why they brought it back again this year. They probably were a bit short on time to come up with anything new and now have to make decisions among themselves instead of having them made for them.
(12-09-2017, 09:29 AM)Flyer Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 07:56 AM)Kissguy1973 Wrote:

Keep in mind when you read my post, that I rarely criticize the TSO powers that be.  I chalk most things up to good business decisions and the bottom line, however...  I don't agree with it.  I will be blunt, the stage adaptation and the first half just didn't flow well AT ALL for me.  Probably my 2nd to least favorite Winter Tour.  Also compounding matters last year was the fact that I REALLY enjoyed the Christmas Attic shows and would have liked another year of that.  Most people I talk to feel the same way and I think a lot of people were left scratching their heads and a bit disappointed.  Many of us were expecting a the 20th anniversary show this year.  Again though, it is what it is.

Another thing I don't get is the whole back by popular demand tag.  I'm calling bullsh** on that!

That said, I will still go to my handful of both east and west shows and enjoy the them.  Looking forward to our travels and seeing my TSO friends and family.  Hope to see some of you along the way that I have never met before!
I agree with the Christmas Attic part. I thought it was an excellent show. I liked the stage setup. I can't say I've been disappointed in any of them really. The one thing about this one is the first part seems shorter leaving more songs to feature in the second half. I obviously see why they brought it back again this year. They probably were a bit short on time to come up with anything new and now have to make decisions among themselves instead of having them made for them.

Ghosts was the planned production for this year before Paul died.

I'm ready to go back to the stories!  I'm a fan of Broadway shows, so I really like vocal numbers.  I literally love good concept albums!