Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TSO in 2020
(12-18-2020, 02:03 AM)Mandydog Wrote: Looks like I’m down $68. First show I will have missed since the beginning in 1999.

Wow that sucks. They appreciate your understanding though. Confused

Another year, another mess of selling tickets.
(12-18-2020, 02:26 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 02:03 AM)Mandydog Wrote: Looks like I’m down $68. First show I will have missed since the beginning in 1999.

Wow that sucks.  They appreciate your understanding though.  Confused

Another year, another mess of selling tickets.

hey Dan, you had mentioned the show has already been taped, and probably edited. Caffery posted on his fb that his guitars are ready making it seem like it’s going to “live”. Kind of odd if the show has already been produced
Welp, I wont be able to watch the livestream due to family reasons. Can you guys fill me on on any announcements or surprises they make (or have) on the livestream? That would be great. Thanks a bunch!
(12-16-2020, 11:00 AM)danfromnj Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 07:48 AM)SammyGIII Wrote: Hold on. Where did they say that the show has already been filmed?

They haven’t said it publicly.  But it has been taped already.  Dave Rudd, who directed their previous special “Birth of Rock Theater”, was involved with this one as well.

Pre-taped?  Well, that just kind of sucks some of the fun out of it.  I guess for some people it doesn't make much difference, and I totally understand it from a logistical standpoint, but for me, a big part of the excitement of it would have been thinking it was actually happening as I was watching it.  I had been on the fence, but now I'm glad I didn't bother ordering it.
is the stream working for anyone? I still just have the theatre image.
There is tons of buffering, drop outs and changes in picture quality. Just gotta refresh.
I REALLY hope they make this available for purchase. Only had a few buffers on my end, but overall excellent. The way they did the credits make me think they will at some point
I had a lot of drop outs (with a gigabit connection, mind you) and missed almost all of This Christmas Day and An Angel Returned - anyone know how replays work?
Is it me, or does it feel like they may have over-hyped the show?
My initial thoughts:
  • The buffering and picture quality drop-offs were numerous and disappointing.  I had lots of fans chatting with me during the presentation and it seems the freezes and such happened at different times for everyone.
  • The violin was clearly very low or not in the mix.  As usual.  I assume for the "cello intro" to Sarajevo that focused on Asha playing a violin instead, they either played that on the keys like they do with the flute part, or they used a pedal to drop the violin feed down an octave.  They used to let the cellist play it for real back in the day - shame that they got rid of this when the whole intro focuses on the "single cello".
  • Apart from the lack of violin, I thought it sounded INCREDIBLE. 
  • It was great to hear so much from the drums - I thought they in particular sounded so much more up front in the mix and it was great to get better views of Jeff Plate doing what he does.
  • I liked the sparse spacing that they used - thought it was tasteful.  I really appreciated the lack of the carnival-like atmosphere that it has become. Really focused on the band and the music again.
  • No dancing!  Big Grin
  • The Old City Bar tempo seemed much closer to the album version - I was happy to hear that.
  • Took a while to get used to no one tearing around the stage.  I don't care either way about that, but it just took me a bit to get used to it.
  • The amount of "Executive Producers" and "Producers" listed in the credits was more than the band on stage. lol
  • I suppose the West audiences are used to it, but Al's way-over-the-top motions to the band for cues and such is just ridiculous and unnecessary.  We get it, Al - YOU are in charge.  lol
  • The Wizards in Winter performance seemed kinda tacked on at the end, but good to hear it.
  • There were full-stop go-to-black breaks between every song, which i am sure made it easier for them to edit and make sure they used the best take of each song
  • Never once did Bryan or the band look at the camera - clearly they were instructed not to, but I thought that made it seem kinda off.  I know it was supposed to simulate a concert and them playing to a non-existent audience, but I thought it would have made some sense for at least Bryan to look at the camera at times.